#21 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,403 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Big props to FJRBluesman for the detailed CCT replacement including pictures. clapping.gif

It helped tremendously and I have an 8 and 10mm ratchet wrench (actually the whole set) added to my toolbox. Still slow-going with 5-10 degree strokes , but critical to getting the lower bolt in and out.

Initially, I removed the old tensioner and didn't notice a significant difference in how hard it was to wind the springs, but once the new one was in and buttoned back up the 92,000 mile FJR is quiet once again at idle. And it was long past due, but you know how these kinds of projects gnaw at you...but not quite enough to do things until you've got a hard summer of miles in order.

One more thing check-marked off for the 2009 IBR.....about 47 to go. wink.gif
My LD Blog, IBA #332
2005 ABS "Heart of Gold" & 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
Posted Image through Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Seat Review here (click on About Me). LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#22 FJRBluesman

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Glad it helped Ig. I too bought an entire metric set of those little ratcheting wrenches. Like guys need an excuse for more tools. wink.gif

Now that you've done it, it's not too bad, actually fairly simple.

Ride safe.
Original Valencia Stripe FJR, #1.
FJRBluesman quotables:
"Never ride anything with a brain!" "Friends don't let friends ride GenIIs"
The Piston Return Spring.... Without it, the internal combustion engine would be nothing....

#23 Silverbear

Silverbear

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (FJRBluesman @ Jun 13 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad it helped Ig. I too bought an entire metric set of those little ratcheting wrenches. Like guys need an excuse for more tools. wink.gif

Ride safe.

I tried to use the ratcheting wrenches, but am not able to get the head of the wrench over the bolt, as the body of the CCT is too close to it. My regular (non-ratcheting) wrench fits, but can't turn it at all in the narrow gap. My bike is a 2003, with 43K miles on it. The ratcheting set I have is from Sears. But, it is a GearWrench, and not a Craftsman. The last time I was at Sears I visually compared the Craftsman set's head thickness with the one I got, and they seemed to be about the same. So far all my attempts to get that bolt out have failed. Does anyone have an idea or solution that worked on their 2003 model?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Silverbear

#24 Brodie

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Silverbear @ Jun 17 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to use the ratcheting wrenches, but am not able to get the head of the wrench over the bolt, as the body of the CCT is too close to it. My regular (non-ratcheting) wrench fits, but can't turn it at all in the narrow gap.... so far all my attempts to get that bolt out have failed. Does anyone have an idea or solution that worked on their 2003 model?

Wrenches are cheap, get several brands of 10mm 12 point box wrenches. Cut them up. Grind on them. Heat and bend them. Modify them in whatever way that will work. It may take half an hour to get the bolts out but it can be done.

You just have to be smarter than steel. tongue.gif

Brodie

vader.gif'06 FJR AE #2 - 74k, '06 FJR AE #1 88744 miles, KILLED WAY TOO YOUNG ! '90 Venture Royale - 149k, '82 Ascot Thumper - 128k
I Be Darksiding --- Teaching Faith --- Grounding Harness, and Ignition Relay Harness by Ersatz Electric --- Patriot Guard Rider
One good solid hope is worth a cartload of certainties. - Tom Baker - Dr. Who

#25 SkooterG

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,981 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Brodie @ Jun 17 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wrenches are cheap, get several brands of 10mm 12 point box wrenches. Cut them up. Grind on them. Heat and bend them. Modify them in whatever way that will work.

You're assuming we have the other cool tools needed to modify the wrench.

Most of us don't. sad.gif
IBA #327........................ Darksider #52

FJR#1 - The 'Dirty Ol Whore' - 2004 non-abs - RIP @ 226,400 - Gone, but not forgotton.
FJR#2 - The 'Hula Girl' - 2004 ABS - 143k
FJR#3 - The 'Virgin' - 2004 ABS - 4344 miles, a garage queen - Brundog would be proud!
FJR#4 - The Oregon FJR - 2004 ABS - 65k
FJR#5 - The Bastard POS Gen II - 2009A - 42k

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Brodie

Brodie

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (SkooterG @ Jun 17 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're assuming we have the other cool tools needed to modify the wrench.
Most of us don't. sad.gif

Bench vise, piece of pipe, propane torch, hammer, hack saw.

High tech tools - I agree.
tongue.gif

vader.gif'06 FJR AE #2 - 74k, '06 FJR AE #1 88744 miles, KILLED WAY TOO YOUNG ! '90 Venture Royale - 149k, '82 Ascot Thumper - 128k
I Be Darksiding --- Teaching Faith --- Grounding Harness, and Ignition Relay Harness by Ersatz Electric --- Patriot Guard Rider

#27 Silverbear

Silverbear

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (Brodie @ Jun 17 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to use the ratcheting wrenches, but am not able to get the head of the wrench over the bolt, as the body of the CCT is too close to it. My regular (non-ratcheting) wrench fits, but can't turn it at all in the narrow gap.... so far all my attempts to get that bolt out have failed. Does anyone have an idea or solution that worked on their 2003 model?

Wrenches are cheap, get several brands of 10mm 12 point box wrenches. Cut them up. Grind on them. Heat and bend them. Modify them in whatever way that will work. It may take half an hour to get the bolts out but it can be done.

You just have to be smarter than steel. tongue.gif

Brodie

Brodie,

I was thinking along the same lines, but was hoping for a quicker, off-the shelf solution I have not thought of before.

Thanks for your suggestion, it seems I am heading that way.

Silverbear

#28 FJRBluesman

FJRBluesman

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

Ride safe.
I tried to use the ratcheting wrenches, but am not able to get the head of the wrench over the bolt, as the body of the CCT is too close to it. My regular (non-ratcheting) wrench fits, but can't turn it at all in the narrow gap. My bike is a 2003, with 43K miles on it. The ratcheting set I have is from Sears. But, it is a GearWrench, and not a Craftsman. The last time I was at Sears I visually compared the Craftsman set's head thickness with the one I got, and they seemed to be about the same. So far all my attempts to get that bolt out have failed. Does anyone have an idea or solution that worked on their 2003 model?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Silverbear
Silverbear - I saw the GearWrench set at Sears and I thought the box end ring was too thick so I didn't buy it. Make sure the ratcheting wrench you buy has a very thin end on the box end, meaning not a big thick ring which would interfere with the CCT as you experienced. I used that picture from the Sears website because that one did fit on mine no issues. I cracked it loose with my standard box end, then used the ratchet for a bit then the rest easily came out by hand. I also left the upper bolt in after I cracked it loose so I could more easily take out the lower without having pressure form the CCT pushing against the bolt. I modified my original post to state that.

BTW - The CCT is the same part number on 2003 - 2005, so you should be able to do this with the tools mentioned. I did it, Iggy did it. If we can do it, anyone can. wink.gif

Good luck.
FJRBluesman quotables:
The Piston Return Spring.... Without it, the internal combustion engine would be nothing....

#29 Silverbear

Silverbear

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (FJRBluesman @ Jun 18 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ride safe.

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Silverbear
Silverbear - I saw the GearWrench set at Sears and I thought the box end ring was too thick so I didn't buy it. Make sure the ratcheting wrench you buy has a very thin end on the box end, meaning not a big thick ring which would interfere with the CCT as you experienced. I used that picture from the Sears website because that one did fit on mine no issues. I cracked it loose with my standard box end, then used the ratchet for a bit then the rest easily came out by hand. I also left the upper bolt in after I cracked it loose so I could more easily take out the lower without having pressure form the CCT pushing against the bolt. I modified my original post to state that.

BTW - The CCT is the same part number on 2003 - 2005, so you should be able to do this with the tools mentioned. I did it, Iggy did it. If we can do it, anyone can. wink.gif

Good luck.

Thanks, FJRBluesman!

I am going back to Sears, and get the wrench with the part number in your post. I have the replacement part on hand, just need to take out the old one first.

Silverbear

#30 Brodie

Brodie

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Silverbear @ Jun 18 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going back to Sears, and get the wrench with the part number in your post. I have the replacement part on hand, just need to take out the old one first.
Silverbear

Silverbear

Just remember once you take the propane torch and hammer to the gear wrench the Craftsman Guaranty is no good any more.

tongue.gif

#31 FJRBluesman

FJRBluesman

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

Silverbear
Bring the part with you, and if you can, bring the upper bolt or a similar one to make sure it fits.

FJRBluesman quotables:

#32 Wicked Webby

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

FJRBluesman,

Nice post. Great photos and details.

WW

"Land of the FREE, because of the BRAVE..." Thank a VETERAN everyday!!

My SON is serving this GREAT COUNTRY... As I did.  What have you done for FREEDOM?

(Current rides): 2010 Victory Cross Country Black,  2010 Ducati Multistrada White.

#33 vabrzn

vabrzn

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Good post ! Thanks
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 Silverbear

Silverbear

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (FJRBluesman @ Jun 19 2009, 07:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silverbear
Bring the part with you, and if you can, bring the upper bolt or a similar one to make sure it fits.

FJRBluesman

Well, I went back to Sears - twice. The first time I got the 8mm ratcheting wrench you mentioned in your post. You were right, it is much thinner than the GearWrench I got earlier. But, the gap between the CCT body and the bolt head was too tight, and when the wrench almost went on the bolt, the bottom of the wrench was resting against the bottom edge of the frame spar - no movement was possible. What ended up working like a charm for me though, is a long 1/4 in. wobble extension that I got as part of a kit from Harbor Freight, a 1.5 in long, 1/4 in. wobble extension from Sears, and an 8 mm socket. I pushed the socket (mounted onto the 1.5 in wobble extension) onto the long wobble after I passed that through the frame slot. In seconds I was able to loosen and unwind the lower bolt half way, then I just turned the bolt with my fingers (from top and bottom) until the bolt came out completely. Your instructions for removing the CCT through the bottom worked out great, and in no time I was able to reinstall the new CCT by reversing the steps. The double wobble contraption worked great for tightening the bolts also (top and bottom).

Thanks again for you post and all your suggestions!

Sincerely,

Silverbear

#35 Harvey

Harvey

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

My 2005 ticking seems to have gone away with a bottle of Techron.
I now realize that my cam chain is making noise.
The dealer says that it is "not excessive".

I ordered a new CCT and gasket. I already have the tools.

I ordered the parts and I think I can do it myself.

Thanks for all the work you have done on this great post!

This forum has been a great help to me and my FJR.

~Harvey

#36 charismaticmegafauna

charismaticmegafauna

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Harvey @ Aug 7 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow..., that was easy...!!
unsure.gif ohmy.gif smile.gif
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you."
Gandalf the Grey

#37 Harvey

Harvey

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (charismaticmegafauna @ Aug 7 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Harvey @ Aug 7 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow..., that was easy...!!
unsure.gif ohmy.gif smile.gif

Funny how when you get rid of one noise, you hear another that was there all the time.

#38 RadioHowie

RadioHowie

I miss Beemerdons

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,831 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Harvey @ Aug 7 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.....my cam chain is making noise.
The dealer says that it is "not excessive".

Yeah....he won't have to pay for it if your motor goes "BOOM!"

"Screw you guys....I'm going home riding!" Darksider #15
The whole chicken strips thing is BS. - HaulinAshe 7/29/2010
Man, there's a lot of info here if I just shut my pie hole and read. -- madmatt 8/5/2010

#39 Harvey

Harvey

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

About that internal screw in the CCT:
Does it rotate as the plunger moves?
If not, how many times do I turn it CCW after the CCT is installed?
Thanks.

#40 johnny80s

johnny80s

Turtle Gears

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Harvey @ Aug 17 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About that internal screw in the CCT:
Does it rotate as the plunger moves?
If not, how many times do I turn it CCW after the CCT is installed?
Thanks.

You just twist it and it will spring into position. You will feel it unwind.
Los Robustos M/C member #0 el Presidente "Eat to Ride - Ride to Eat"