#1 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

As I said in this other thread I had a little project that's been on my mind for a while. Mostly just mental images, trying to figure the best ways,. etc.... There will of course be those who think I'm a little F*cked up. You can't argue the fact that being tailgated on a motorcycle is aggravating, if not down right scary depending on the idiot cager that is behind you. So I submit to you gentlemen and ladies for your entertainment the result of one afternoon of total boredom coupled with around 9 beers, about $95.00 worth of materials and supplies, one very understanding wife, and just enough knowledge in the fields of low voltage wiring,circuits, hydraulics, and total mischief to be moderately dangerous and downright vengeful!

The Latest in rear defense systems for your FJR's and others in the stable if you should so deem them worthy

Posted Image BEHOLD! Posted Image

The necessary supplies for this project.

Posted Image

This of course is the "heart" of the project. A compact 12v in-line fuel pump that will deliver approx 20 psi at the nozzles.

Posted Image

These are the cheesy led windshield washer nozzles you see on the kids cars that think they missed their casting call for The Fast and the Furious!

Posted Image

We don't want to fry our fire button

Posted Image

This was all I could find at Advance Auto, we may need a substitute because its damn big and I don't know if I can hide it too well.

Posted Image

First we need a fire button! It has to look cool after all. sorry this picture is grainy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wanted a mounting location that was slightly inclined so I got good trajectory with the fluid. This seemed to be a good location.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the problem I ran into was the license plate light wouldn't fit in there now, because of the nozzle inlets.

Posted Image

OHHHH Mr. Dremellllll

Posted Image

No Problem fits like a glove now.

Posted Image

OK now we need to mount the pump.

Posted Image

Seems like it'll be alright but we need to lose the pretty green case on that pump because it takes up valuable space and serves no purpose. BTW that silver pump there is for my stebel air horn.

Posted Image

This is the plumbing going in to the under seat area

Posted Image

This is where I drilled holes to bring the plumbing in

Posted Image

....and those two hoses are t'd together to get fed from the pump

Posted Image

Warning the next 4 images are not for the faint of heart.

Because I couldn't come up with a good spot for the tank I had to take drastic meaures... Posted Image You only live once, and its only one 7/32" hole tightly sealed. Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see I opted for a slightly smaller tank. this was a little one that was in a junk box I had.

Posted Image

and the bag still fits even with all the crap I keep in it.

Posted Image

This is a little transition between rear tail and Side bag in case you couldn't tell what you were looking at.

Posted Image

Posted Image we are hooked up and plumbed, our relay is up and running and I think its time for a test.Posted Image

Note the cheesy blue LED lighting... Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And now without further adieu..........These videos may be slightly anticlimactic and lack certain production value, but you get the idea.

Video 1

Video 2

OK so I've accomplished "Oil Slick" next project will be SMOKE SCREEN! Posted Image I wish I had the patience to wait until Friday to post this, but I surely don't!
Only leave for tomorrow that which you are willing to die having left undone ~Chinese Fortune Cookie~
'07FJR1300AE CerullianSilver, '05 SV1000S Red

#2 ceddec

ceddec

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Words escape me. I think I like it.
Dennis
2006 FJR - mine
2006 Burgman 650 - hers

#3 slapnpop

slapnpop

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

If I have to drive through the desert or plains again, do you want to come ride in front of me? And can we put a bigger jug with icewater in the bag?
Things that make you go Vroom

#4 canyonman

canyonman

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

I like the idea. in fact had the exact same set up on my car back in high school but mine was aimed at the rear tires for bleach water / smokie burn outs.

might I suggest a hydration bladder for your tank instead of a rigid tank.

dont get in trouble!!!
2007 fjr
2001 HD softail

#5 Texan

Texan

Rollie Reincarnated

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

This is either brilliant or insane. But likely both. You will have so much fun spritzing the tailgaters. But the real fun will be outrunning them at triple digits after they wash away the spluge.

Perhaps the same button that fires the nasty juice should also hit the nitrous for getaway power.

(I predict this will be one of the most replied to threads of all time. Just wait till Friday.)
2005 FJR1300
2008 ZX14
2003 Shadow 750

#6 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

laugh.gif That's kinda what I was thinking. If I could just focus on useful ideas.... I bet I could do some good in the world. But this is good for ME. It really beats trying to ride by and kick someones mirror off their car.( I've been known). It's relatively harmless but will make me feel good when they need to pull over beause even their windshield wipers won't clean it off. Ever clean your windows at a gas station with a squeegee after someone used said squeegee to clean the spilled gas of the side of their car. Oh yeah its messy on glass. Very Blury in a hurry.
Only leave for tomorrow that which you are willing to die having left undone ~Chinese Fortune Cookie~

#7 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (canyonman @ Apr 30 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the idea. in fact had the exact same set up on my car back in high school but mine was aimed at the rear tires for bleach water / smokie burn outs.

might I suggest a hydration bladder for your tank instead of a rigid tank.

dont get in trouble!!!

We did the bleach thing too in auto shop on a '79 Nova. It's kinda where I adapted the idea from

#8 James Burleigh

James Burleigh

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Okay, I'll go. This is a reaaaaaaally bad idea. First of all, I think once you install such a device, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and everyone needs squirting. Or perhaps more realistically, you are now searching for "tailgaters" to blast.

Next, tailgaters are by definition (my definition) clueless, aggressive, sociopaths. So you are setting yourself up to initiate a road rage incident in which, if you survive, you will be identified by the courts as the aggressor. And of course once you light each other up, now you're both driving like crazy. You may be able to thread in and out and even get away, but if the other driver whom you lit up kills my daughter who just got her driver's license, well, whose head is that on?

And of course you just announced to the world your pre-meditated intentions.

This is the thinking that persuaded me to not carry a pocketful of ball bearings or some such to "get even" with stupid drivers. I know I am human and susceptible to road rage, and I told myself don't do it because if you do then you will throw those, and then everything becomes out of your control. IMHO the smartest thing to do is get out of the way and disconnect.

BTW, in my six years of riding to work every day on freeways at about 20K miles a year, I can't even remember a time when I was tailgated (I don't ride like a Harley rider, which is probably why).

That looked like a fun project, really well thought out and executed. But I recommend you put it all away now....

Jb

P.S. New bad-idea scenario: clueless tailgating driver behind you over-reacts when out of nowhere comes stuff flying at her / him, and crashes. I'm just thinkin' all-around bad idea. My dos centavos.

#9 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

I carry a firearm almost everywhere and have never fired it at anyone. I have plenty of self control, no need to worry. gun.gif Although you do supply me the needed voice of reason that I miss getting from my late dad, boy I miss him.... Sniff sadsmiley02.gif

#10 James Burleigh

James Burleigh

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (DailyCommuter @ Apr 30 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I carry a firearm almost everywhere...

This is just going from bad to worse.... blink.gif

#11 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

but c'mon it's ultra cool and you know it....

#12 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (James Burleigh @ Apr 30 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, in my six years of riding to work every day on freeways at about 20K miles a year, I can't even remember a time when I was tailgated (I don't ride like a Harley rider, which is probably why).

Unfortunately tailgating is a fact of life where I live. The worst part is when I leave a long buffer zone in front of me to account for the tailgater (so I don't have to stop short and get killed by this idiot) people take it as an open invite to cut in front of me. angry.gif

#13 SouthernCruizer

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

ummm...I musta missed something. What exactly are you planning on putting in the tank? Water, diesel, what?

I had a friend that kept washers on his handlebar to throw over his shoulder at tailgaters...in got him in trouble one nite. Long story, but it didnt end up good for him. Be careful! blink.gif

Jay®

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300

2004 Yamaha FJR 1300
2004 Suzuki DL 650 (WeeStrom) & 2007 Kawasaki KLX250S

#14 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

I was thinking Gasoline! JUST KIDING !!!!

#15 DailyCommuter

DailyCommuter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (SouthernCruizer @ Apr 30 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ummm...I musta missed something. What exactly are you planning on putting in the tank? Water, diesel, what?

I had a friend that kept washers on his handlebar to throw over his shoulder at tailgaters...in got him in trouble one nite. Long story, but it didnt end up good for him. Be careful! blink.gif

The diesel pump was just better delivery PSI than the gas one I looked at.

#16 08FJR4ME

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Well i would have to say this is a real pisser! wink.gif
2008 FJR1300A, 2005-Honda XR650L-2001 Honda Rubicon 4X4 WynPro Custom MC Products Posted Image, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 AuburnFJR

AuburnFJR

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

pretty inventive. I probably wouldn't use it, but the thought has occured to me in the past. Maybe you can mount one to the side too. Get teh idiot yakking on the cell too. wink.gif

get out and ride! IBA #54706

cfr2009.gifwfo08.gif

#18 08FJR4ME

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Well if all else fails hook it up to a gallon of gatorade and run a small hose to your helmet. Just sayin. Maybe a more positive Idea. biggrin.gif
2008 FJR1300A, 2005-Honda XR650L-2001 Honda Rubicon 4X4 WynPro Custom MC Products Posted Image, Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Hotboot

Hotboot

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

James Burleigh must be a pussy ass lawyer from SF. Great idea from from a few beers and some hardware. If we can load it with super-stink juice then we have a product. I bet you could squirt some 'gaiters with red water and they would still not have a clue to your proximity.
Too many cagers and not enough curves, get me outta here.

#20 jzzmusician

jzzmusician

Official Hoon

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

We've all heard the term "over the edge," in past years. I guess I never really knew what that meant until now.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side." -Hunter S. Thompson