Back Rest Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
My wife has requested a backrest for our long rides on my 2007 FJR. I've been searching around and I'm more than a bit startled at the prices. I've gone to the trouble of designing my own backrest/rack using 3D CAD (I'm a design engineer) but having one of my own designs built in a quantity of one at any fab shop is more expensive than most aftermarket dealers (group purchase anyone?). Below are the after market back rests that I have found. For some, like Sargent and Corbin, the back rest can not be mounted independently of the manufacturer's rear seat so they must be purchased together. What I've listed below is the minimum cost it takes to get the back rest.

$365.00, Pirates Lair: (Backrest Only) https://piratesk12site.net/YamahaStealth.htm

$438.00 Corbin: (Backrest & Required Passenger Seat) https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr13_mod.shtml

$581.00, Sargent (Backrest & Required Passenger Seat Only) https://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=415638...610&whence=

$245.00, Premier Cycles (Backrest Only) https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Pas...est_p/12001.htm

$378.00, Premier Cycles (Backrest with integrated sport touring rack) https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Pas...est_p/12001.htm

Some of these designs use a smooth leather seat which does not match the FJR's stock seat. I want mine to match (who wouldn't). Premire Cycle's backrest with integrated sport touring rack seems like the most bang for the buck but the material used on the pad does not match my stock seating material. Does Premier offer other materials (no, I haven't contacted them yet).

Thanks!

slo-ride, it would appear that you haven't considered Garauld's rack and backrest system, considered by many forum members to be leaps and bounds over the "mainstream" units in both fit, finish, and price. Garauld (Gary) is a forum member, and rides one of three red FJR's that I know of. It's red because he painted it.

May I suggest that you review this posting - Garauld's Rack and Backrest I think you'll find that Gary's rack is exceptional. He makes them to order, and turns out extremely high quality racks at a very reasonable price.

And No, I'm not sucking up to him. He just makes bulletproof, high quality stuff. Craftsmanship. Send him a PM for pricing.

slo-ride, it would appear that you haven't considered Garauld's rack and backrest system, considered by many forum members to be leaps and bounds over the "mainstream" units in both fit, finish, and price. Garauld (Gary) is a forum member, and rides one of three red FJR's that I know of. It's red because he painted it.
May I suggest that you review this posting - Garauld's Rack and Backrest I think you'll find that Gary's rack is exceptional. He makes them to order, and turns out extremely high quality racks at a very reasonable price.

And No, I'm not sucking up to him. He just makes bulletproof, high quality stuff. Craftsmanship. Send him a PM for pricing.
I've PM'd Gary before regarding the rack/backrest option and I agree...top notch stuff but the leather doesn't seem to match the stock material. I believe he uses a smooth material but he might be able to match the OEM material. I'll PM him again and check. Thanks!

I have the Pirates Lair also. I think it matches nicely to the stock seat. It also can be put on or taken off in seconds. I'm a little concerned that it could be easily stolen. My wife says that it's comfortable. Not familiar with the others.

Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

Will Rogers

Garauld's Mini Rack and backrest, $290.

P3150010_2.jpg

I also have the Pirates Lair backrest system. Well built, solid, great mounting system, easily comes off, matches your stock seat. Looks good and doesn't look cheesy or blocky like some of the "others" . Fast shipping as well. What else you want?

If you must have matching vinyl to the FJR stock seat today, Pirates Lair is likely the answer. And as others have said, Garuald has great stuff as well and can probably fix you up with a custom solution. If you decide to upgrade your seats to a smoother vinyl or leather, I can tell you that Premier's rack/backrest looks and feels excellent against my leather Russell. Quality is very nice, backrest is well designed, solid, adjustable and the rack space always remains available for use and will mount a top box directly w/o adapters if you desire. Backrest removes easily with 3 screws, but never see a need to. A superior product among products IMHO.

P3220459Small.jpg

P3210454Small.jpg

I have the Premier cycles sport touring tack with a Givi E52 mounted. I like the set up and think Premier stuff is pretty well made, but the wife indicates the Givi as a backrest is not all that comfy. Not to hijack this thread (I think this is still on topice)...anyone know if the Premier cycles rack/rest combo can accomodate a Givi E52 top box at the rear most position or would the Premier backrest have to come off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey why not phone them and ask them. I have their luggage rack and like it They make some Quality products as well as others on the forum

I just wanted to give an update on my backrest...I decided to order the Premiere Cycle backrest and sport touring rack because I felt this fit my needs best. I called them to place the order and asked if it could ship "today" (which was Friday at 3:30 PM ET). They told me that UPS had already come and gone but the lady I spoke with said she would see if she could get someone to take my order to the UPS drop box. An hour later, I got an e-mail stating that my order had shipped! Premiere went to the extra trouble to get my order out. :yahoo: Kudos to Premiere Cycle and Accessories! You have just gained a loyal customer!

Mike

If you must have matching vinyl to the FJR stock seat today, Pirates Lair is likely the answer. And as others have said, Garuald has great stuff as well and can probably fix you up with a custom solution. If you decide to upgrade your seats to a smoother vinyl or leather, I can tell you that Premier's rack/backrest looks and feels excellent against my leather Russell. Quality is very nice, backrest is well designed, solid, adjustable and the rack space always remains available for use and will mount a top box directly w/o adapters if you desire. Backrest removes easily with 3 screws, but never see a need to. A superior product among products IMHO.
P3220459Small.jpg

P3210454Small.jpg
+1 Really like the PCA backrest and rack! I've ordered from 'em a couple times and service is top notch too.

I received mine on Thursday, installed it, and took the wife for long ride Friday morning. She gives the PCA backrest two thumbs up so if she's happy with it, I'm happy with it. I also like the backrest because my job sends a 17" laptop home with me at night inside a large backpack. The backpack is about 28" long and 18" wide which is just two bulky for the Sport Rack but it straps nicely to the backrest taking the load off of my back. I give it two thumbs up as well! :yahoo: