solo ride from Missouri to the lost coast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonman

Reaction score
The alarm went off at 5am not that I needed it; I was already up excited to get on the road on my first solo cross country ride. I had ridden to the west coast last year with a couple buddies so I knew what was ahead of me. With the goodbyes and promises to my wife to "be good" out of the way I put the stand up at 6 and was on the road.

100_0211.jpg

Today was to be all slab (I-80) to Colorado which I hate doing but I wanted extra time in some places I’ve not yet been to.

The ride was mostly uneventful other than the conversation I had with Trooper Wyatt of the Missouri Highway Patrol, he wanted to discuss my traveling at 13 over the posted 70. Oops. :rolleyes:

He was very nice and respectful and cracked a little shit eatin grin when I told him I was heading to California. He ran my info and sent me on my way with a warning. THANK YOU :yahoo: Trooper Wyatt for not putting bad mojo on my trip on the first day.

I also managed to snap off a key in one of my side cases so now I have one that opens without a key. Glad I carry spare keys.

870 miles later with afternoon thunderstorms prowling the area I pulled into the campground in the Pawnee National Grass Land. Camp was cheap, quiet and had running water and a shitter that’s all I needed this day so home it was for the night.

P7060006.jpg

100_0225.jpg

Up at 5am (again) tough for a guy that works 2nds.

100_0226.jpg

I packed up, mounted up and took CO 14 into the mountains. 14 was a lot of fun. Check it out if you’re in the area.

100_0228.jpg

P7070012.jpg

P7070015.jpg

191 from Vernal to the northern reaches of the Flaming River Gorge is great, amazing vistas, and kick ass sweepers.

100_0234.jpg

100_0256.jpg

I finally reached my turn for the campground. I had stayed here last year and returned because I knew I could get a shower here which I was needing by now.

100_0262.jpg

I managed to drop my brand new UV filter for my camera and knocked a big chip out of it. as luck would have it the damage was out of the cameras field of view.

P7070028.jpg

P7080073.jpg

On the way from the campground back to 191 I almost had a close encounter with one of these. she looked as suprised as I did.

100_0263.jpg

Heading north on 191 to Jackson WY it was quite chilly this morning in the high desert. I was rolling along at a spirited pace when I noticed a herd of wild horses running next to me.

100_0266.jpg

That’s when I really understood and felt total freedom and a huge smile spread across my face as I twisted my adrenalin pump.

Later I came up on a couple BMW riders that I had been playing tag with at gas stops all morning.

100_0274.jpg

I decided to see how well those bimmers run and pulled up behind and stuck to them like glue, although at a very safe distance. They were helpless to shake me.

These guys were not waving at any other bikes, riding very aggressively, and taking silly chances. Then the guy in front of me while going into a downhill right hander totally screwed his entry and with oncoming traffic “danger close” he completely crossed both lanes and was on the opposite shoulder before he finally got it pointed in the right direction. The driver coming the other way was freaking out. I decided then to let them go as I didn’t want to be associated with them.

The Tetons are incredible. Go see them. The little blonde gal at the gate of the park was worth the drive if I saw nothing else. "I knew I should have worked for the parks service". sorry no pic I was in awe.

100_0288.jpg

P7080079.jpg

P7080089.jpg

P7080093.jpg

The mosquitoes were quite prolific at camp. I also managed to sling my year old digital camera across the camp site when it had gotten tangled on my stuff sac that was on the picnic table. Broke the LCD display to the point that it no longer works, luckily the view finder still works. I’m beginning to sense a trend here.

The next morning it was 28 degrees. My toothpaste was frozen and there was frost on the seat of the bike. Boy I sure didn’t want to get out of that tent but the road was calling and I had a good days ride to get to the sawtooths in Idaho and a camp I hoped to find there.

The ride across Idaho was a brisk one with plenty of open space to let my bike stretch her legs.

Uh-oh I sense bad gas mileage in my immediate future.

100_0303.jpg

100_0300.jpg

The ride up into the sawtooths on 75 was heavy with traffic and slow for the first 20 miles. The pedestrians using orange flags to cross in front of moving traffic just seems like a rear end collision waiting to happen. Very different.

From there on it was motorcycle bliss I will have to come back to this part of the country and spend more time.

Honey Im Home

100_0306.jpg

The Grandjean NFS camp is located at the end of a 7 mile dirt road that follows the Payette River into the mountains.

P7090143.jpg

It was beautiful. The river is so blue.

P7100152.jpg

The camp was nice, again a shitter and running water. Had a nice stream running to meet the river right behind my camp.

P7100146.jpg

There is a lodge just up the road that will let you buy a shower for 3 dollars which I gladly handed over.

There is also a hot spring ½ mile down the road on the banks of the Payette where you can move the rocks around to create your own custom soaking pool.

P7100155-1.jpg

Very cool or uh hot or whatever all I know is I’m coming back. This is also where while taking pictures of the springs my brand new polarizing filter decided to detach itself from my camera and bounce off my toe into the Payette River. Well son of a bitch!

The ride to hells canyon was pretty good. ended up missing a gas stop before Lowman so insted of cutting over to 55 as planned I just kept going into Boise. well that detour and the traffic in the canyon section on 55 cost me several hours. I did pass the hospital where Tyler had been (she was in the Bay area by this time) she was in the back of my mind the whole trip. I also was very efficient at snapping off my mic plug in the zumo carrier while dismounting to check the atlas. Oh well I guess no more phone calls while rolling.

The camp at the Hells Canyon overlook was quiet and very rustic no table, no water, only a fire ring but the price was right FREE. There was a vault toilet over at the overlook parking lot probably a ¼ mile walk. I had plenty of water with me and enjoyed the solitude although I did kick over my last beer. Well shit!

P7100180.jpg

The ride the next morning down into Joseph and Enterprise was great; a mix of great pavement, good pavement, and some kinda scary shit but it was all good. Enterprise is a place I could live, very nice.

100_0338.jpg

100_0339.jpg

395 is one great road through Oregon, great riding through the wheat fields then into the mountains then down into canyons and finally ends with an all out run to Lakeview. The desert section was only 82 degrees and the old girl really covered some ground.

Whoa!

100_0349.jpg

Looks like I finally made it to the "Golden State"

100_0360.jpg

This being Saturday I knew there was little chance of finding a place to camp so after 711 miles I folded and just went to Redding and got a room at the Motel 6 that I stayed at last year.

Got up a little late but was only planning on going over to the lost coast. Took 299 to 3 to 36 OMFG! I can’t believe they don’t make you sign a disclaimer before they let you drive down 36 what a hoot. You better be on your game or you WILL die no question. Better suited for a motard than a 600+ lb bike with 290lbs of rider and gear. Still I loved it. While driving around the back roads of Humboldt County the smell of the local agriculture was obvious. Only in California.

100_0366.jpg

The Lost Coast is a place if you’re open to it will get into your soul and forever change you. I snagged a camp site on the beach but sheltered from the perpetual winds. There were only a couple other people around and basically had the whole place to myself.

100_0385.jpg

100_0402.jpg

P7120254.jpg

P7120273.jpg

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

The next 8 days were spent visiting friends and family. I will spare you. I will pick this up later with the return trip. gotta go take care of some stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lost Coast is a place if you’re open to it will get into your soul and forever change you
Wow, awesome trip. You really hit some great sites and areas. Yes, the Lost Coast is truly a magical part of planet earth. One of those places that has a soul-full magnetism. Great to see someone riding so far to make that the turn-around destination.

Thanks for sharing!!!

WOW!

This is one awesome ride report. You did a great job. Hey, I know some uh dem places! Saw 'em for the first time this summer on the way to CFR.

AWESOME!

I had stayed several nights in Temecula at my sister's new place and was ready to make THE turn east and get out of the heat of central and southern California.

The ride up to Cedar City was uneventful and quick. I Loaded up on supplies and headed up into the Dixie National Forest to locate a camp site. Found a nice secluded one called Deer Haven.

P7210428.jpg

P7210429.jpg

Not a bad place, again running water and restrooms which even had running water but no showers. :dntknw:

The elevation here was 9200ft so I knew it was gonna get chilly at night. I talked to the camp host who rides a Honda magna he told me to feel free to gather and burn any and all the wood I wanted to. He doesn’t know who he’s talking to. I was good and kept it down to a smallish but hot fire

P7210449.jpg

It was a nice quiet night quite a contrast from the noise and congestion of southern California.

Today I zig zag across Utah hoping to be in Monument Valley by day’s end The route today is 14 to 89 up to 12 to 24 over to 95 down to 261 and over to 163 for the final run into Monument Valley for sunset. Most of these roads I have been on in a car and have wanted to come back to ride them ever since. 12 was disappointing because of some resurfacing between Escalante and Boulder the rest of 12 has a lot of tar snakes that were a little unnerving.

100_0448.jpg

100_0489.jpg

100_0512.jpg

95 down to Lake Powell was a good run but for some reason the feej got really bad gas mileage. :whistle: But boy was it fun.

100_0533.jpg

100_0524.jpg

100_0527.jpg

261 is an unremarkable road till you get close to the southern end. The pavement ends at a cliff that is easily 1000ft tall where you can stand and look out over Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. I stopped and took it all in.

P7220460.jpg

100_0542.jpg

Then it was time to make my descent to the valley floor below. It is a gravel road with many switch backs that keep you on your toes. Wow what a road. When you get to the bottom it turns back to pavement.

100_0547.jpg

100_0549.jpg

Almost down now

100_0551.jpg

Made the final run to Goulding’s Campground in Monument Valley without incident.

Now you may have guessed I’m not much for the KOA type campgrounds I like it quiet without someone telling me what to do. That and I’m cheap. So Gouldings would not normally be for me but I wanted to get some sunset pictures in the valley and I needed a shower. So as instructed I picked out a spot and came back and took my $27.50 flogging for my chance to sleep in the sacred dirt. There were only maybe 8 other people in the tent area so I figured it wouldn’t be too bad. Right?

That’s about the time 4 extended vans full of no less that 50 European student tourist rolled into the camp and absolutely took over the place. They were very loud and very rude and showed absolutely no respect for anyone that was already there. I had a soccer ball bounce off my table more than once.

What you don't see in this pic is the other 2 vans and the 24 or so people in them

P7230506.jpg

I sucked it up and headed out to catch the sunset and also check out the night sky at Goosenecks State Park about 30 miles up the road.

P7220494.jpg

P7220501.jpg

P7220500.jpg

I returned feeling good again till I pulled into camp. The tourists had decided to park one of their vans in my camp site. WTF? I parked next to it and noticed all the other campers were hiding in their tents. Not wanting to be "the dick" I let it go, I didn't want to have to try to sleep wondering who was messin with my stuff. Turns out I didn't have to worry about it because they never went to sleep and consequently neither did I.

I decided because I was tired not to head to the Rockies as planned but instead would spend the day in the Moab area riding a couple roads I always wanted to check out then I would return to Goosenecks SP and camp there.

The Castle Valley from the Lasal Loop Road

100_0570.jpg

I returned to Goosenecks as planned in the evening and as luck would have it there was no one there

P7230509.jpg

P7240522.jpg

P7240515.jpg

This place was incredible it was so quiet and so dark it almost gave you vertigo.

However a wind storm that blew in about midnight and kept up till dawn made sleep almost impossible. There were times I figured I would be blown tent and all into the canyon never to be seen again. But between about 5 and 6:30 I never slept better.

Actually a really cool spot if your equipped for it cause there is nothing, no water no shade nothing! There is a vault toilet over at the overlook about a ½ mile away from where I camped.

The next 2 days I spent traveling home. didn't take any pics just put in the miles.

Had a great time. Had zero problems with my bike. did I say how much I love this bike? It can't be beat that's all there is to it.

6800 miles total. The first day and last were over 800 so I guess I'll have to go ahead and get that I.B. thing out of the way sometime soon

1 positive LEO encounter.

Thanks for reading and looking

Again...wow!

Sorry about the doughheads at the campsite. Glad you didn't get blown into the canyon floor.

Hope to ride with you sometime.

You should be named the Official FJR Forum Photographer. Those were pro-quality photos, and your comments were also great. Thanks for sharing the ride with us.

Great report.

How hot was it when you went down the Mogi Dugway?

We went right by Gooseneck and never knew it. Is it off 261 on the San Juan river?

Fantastic report! :thumbsup: I hope to meet you someday..

Thanks!
Thank you, the Buffalo River area is a favorite place of mine we'll have to meet up sometime.

Glad you didn't get blown into the canyon floor.
Thanks Wheaton, Yeah it was crazy, I had rocks stacked on the tent stakes to keep the tent down

You should be named the Official FJR Forum Photographer. Those were pro-quality photos, and your comments were also great. Thanks for sharing the ride with us.
Thank You but there are several members who are much more worthy of that title. Check out some of Old Michael's ride reports that guys got the "eye"

How hot was it when you went down the Mogi Dugway?
We went right by Gooseneck and never knew it. Is it off 261 on the San Juan river?
It was not too bad as there were some rain storms in the area and it had cooled down quite nicely.

The road to Goosenecks is 316 it is off of 261 about 8/10 of a mile west of 163

lots of memories for me!

I did some of the same things in 06 in oregon before WFO-5, And again Utah for WFO-6. Thank you for the fantastic report!

I am trying to throw together a last minute trip out west for 2 weeks, And essentially trace your route!

Family in Oregon, Reno and Escondido (south of Temecula) lol

Terrific pictures and excellent ride report. Can't wait to head out west myself sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing!

BG

lots of memories for me!
I did some of the same things in 06 in oregon before WFO-5, And again Utah for WFO-6. Thank you for the fantastic report!

I am trying to throw together a last minute trip out west for 2 weeks, And essentially trace your route!

Family in Oregon, Reno and Escondido (south of Temecula) lol
Hey GB looked everywhere never did find that Sam Adams we were seeking. Had to drink Coors most of the time