anyone use Airhawk by Roho

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
love mine...caveat -> the airhawk sits on a wider than stock Sargeant seat - I can go many, many daily miles with no discomfort

3135970137_1f041b6d67.jpg

I use one. I started with it when I was doing LD Rallys on the R1. I put it on the FJR now when I'm doing anything over a couple hundred miles. I am going to get a Russel built this winter though... I've never gone above 700 miles in a day without it on either bike and don't think I could have with the stock seats. If i continue to use it after I get the Russel built remains to be seen. My 2 cents is they are worth every penny on top of a stock seat.

Here is my R1, you can kind of see the Airhawk (and I just remembered I had parked it next to an FJR)

BuffaloRun2008.jpg

Here it is moved onto the new ride.

SDC10053.jpg

It's in my arsenal for go long days. It's not a substitute for a good custom seat, but in a pinch it works pretty well.

It does trap and hold in some heat tho...

It's in my arsenal for go long days. It's not a substitute for a good custom seat, but in a pinch it works pretty well.
It does trap and hold in some heat tho...

Their website says small, but measurements looks like a medium. What did you guy order?

flyingz06, I posted a thread on the airhawks on our australian forum couple of months ago as I had the medium cruiser and it didnt do it for me. Ended up going for the pillion for both me and the lady and they definitaley make an unbearable ride bearable but as some said it dosnt beat a good custom seat. The airhawks do work though. Link below with some pictures of the pillions on both seats on my bike, on the 3rd page. Oh yeh I have an 09 seat Good luck

https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f...p;sk=t&sd=a

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a large pillon version - 11 x 14", only because it was a hand me down when I was doing LD riding my R1.

I have a medium cruiser Airhawk but I haven't used it since I bought my Bill Mayer.

It really helped when I was riding a stock seat.

I used a medium last year and it made a 17,000 km XC trip do-able. I switched to a Corbin over the winter, the Airhawk now sits on the saddle of my son's Versys, and he's putting a ton of miles on it.

It took a bit of getting used to at first, getting the inflation into the 'goldilocks zone', and the first few times it seemed like I was riding on a bowl of jello. Once I got the right air pressure into it and got used to it it was great.

I think it rides a bit hotter than a normal saddle, since your butt is essentially wrapped in the cushion. But overall I was quite happy with the Airhawk.

Griff

It took a bit of getting used to at first, getting the inflation into the 'goldilocks zone', and the first few times it seemed like I was riding on a bowl of jello. Once I got the right air pressure into it and got used to it it was great.
How would you characterize the amount of air you like in it? Or any other pointers you can share in finding that elusive "goldilocks zone"? I bought one (medium cruiser) and it's better than the stock seat alone, but I have yet to zero in exactly on a level of inflation that is perfectly comfortable for me. I have found I like it mostly deflated but I wonder if there is some secret I am missing out on.

How would you characterize the amount of air you like in it? Or any other pointers you can share in finding that elusive "goldilocks zone"? I bought one (medium cruiser) and it's better than the stock seat alone, but I have yet to zero in exactly on a level of inflation that is perfectly comfortable for me. I have found I like it mostly deflated but I wonder if there is some secret I am missing out on.
Yeah, that's the ticket, almost deflated. I think the instructions say you shouldn't hear or feel air moving as you rock back and forth, which is essentially flat...

I always start it about half full, I can reach down and open the valve a bit when I'm riding to let some out and get settled in. Then I leave it that way for the rest of the trip. Just be careful not to open it up too much or you have to stop and start over :)

-MD

I thought mine was OK for the long stretches of slab, but there is no way I would use it in the twisties.I like the Russell I bought a lot better, so I sold the Airhawk and Corbin seat. The Russell is better is so many ways, except price.

I thought mine was OK for the long stretches of slab, but there is no way I would use it in the twisties.I like the Russell I bought a lot better, so I sold the Airhawk and Corbin seat. The Russell is better is so many ways, except price.
Yeah definitely not a tool for the twisties, but when you're sore and/or trying not to be and simply busting ass on the slab for a long day to and fro it's worth while IMHO.

But you're right, if you get a good fitting Russell (of which mine was not) you don't need it, or shouldn't.

it's less air than you think...you want just enough for the lowest part of your butt to only be 1/8" or so off the bottom

just enough to float your butt without bottoming out

flyingz06, I posted a thread on the airhawks on our australian forum couple of months ago as I had the medium cruiser and it didnt do it for me. Ended up going for the pillion for both me and the lady and they definitaley make an unbearable ride bearable but as some said it dosnt beat a good custom seat. The airhawks do work though. Link below with some pictures of the pillions on both seats on my bike, on the 3rd page. Oh yeh I have an 09 seat Good luck
https://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f...p;sk=t&sd=a
thanks!

it's less air than you think...you want just enough for the lowest part of your butt to only be 1/8" or so off the bottom

just enough to float your butt without bottoming out

+1 ... actually, was my wife (RN who works in geriatrics and chronic care) showed me how to set it up properly so I didn't get "chair sores"

I live about 60 miles from the North Ga mountains, so my first hour and a half is heavy Atlanta traffic before I hit the twisties. I attach my Airhawk only using the front ties and then when I start running the mountains I just lift the Hawk up over the tank and I am back on the seat where I can move my weight around. On my way home I just put the Airhawk back and relax. I did 600 miles last Sunday and the Airhawk worked great.

Last edited by a moderator: