For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, it hurts to read this thread..
There's a way to put the misery to an end.... c'mon Don, ya know ya can do it. It's 13 solid months away..
Huh? Really? Ya'll talking late 2010?
Donaldo, Shiny and I made the decision to not go on this ride until November 2010 so that our FJR Forum and AZ Beemers Members would have adequate time to save up for this trip. I know money is tight for everyone in these tough economic times, but if a person can set aside $300 a month for the next twelve months, then her or she can swing this offroad Tour.

Moto Discovery basically provides everything you need for this trek at $3K. I figure another $600 for fuel, lunch and booze.

I know that the term "motorcycling trip of a lifetime" is used a lot on this forum, I use that phrase a lot here myself, but this Expediton truly fits that description. The lifestyle and culture of the Native Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyon is rapidly disappearing due to encroachment from outsiders. I would imagine that in the next twenty years it may disapper forever.

POSTSCRIPT: You and Fairlaner are sure missed here at SW-FOG! Was standing in the bar with Jill, Andy, Niehart, pinhead and 20 others last night and conversation turned to discussing "....it's just not a party without Don Carver and Richard Hall!"

.... but if a person can set aside $300 a month for the next twelve months, then [SIZE=12pt]her or she [/SIZE]can swing this offroad Tour.... [SIZE=12pt]Was standing in the bar [/SIZE]with Jill, Andy, Niehart, pinhead and 20 others last night and conversation turned to discussing "....it's just not a party without Don Carver and Richard Hall!"
I see you are having a good time my Beemer riding friend!

Oh man, it hurts to read this thread..
There's a way to put the misery to an end.... c'mon Don, ya know ya can do it. It's 13 solid months away..
Huh? Really? Ya'll talking late 2010?
Haulin', Jill, lurkers and Carver:

If you can manage a $400 deposit before 10/1/09 there is a $200 discount you can apply towards tips, nips and sips... or whatever. Trip starts from El Paso first week of November 2010. I'm going to save a few more bucks riding down on the FJR and store it. The tour operators haul us and our gear to Creel by Copper Canyon, and then the fun begins. When it ends some 12 days later, we cry and the operators drop us off back in El Paso... where my fun continues.

Only six more slots available ladies and gents.

The lifestyle and culture of the Native Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyon is rapidly disappearing due to encroachment from outsiders. I would imagine that in the next twenty years it may disapper forever.
'Struth -- I heard a story about a local rural Sierra Madre Occidental gal who went off to school and got training and came back to the area as a local home health nurse. For the past decade or so she's been tending to the health needs of the local "Indigenas" -- lately she's been having to treat 'high blood pressure' (something that hasn't existed in their society for the eons they've been around).

As more roads get improved and paved and more villages come "on-grid" (more access to processed foods, etc.) -- their lifestyle may fade (and be relegated to history books...). :(

ADDENDUM: Silver Penguin & Andy, this Mexico trip would be ideal for a husband and wife combination such as yourselves!

You both are already off road riders, both with BMW GS's, so you currently possess the skills you would need for this one.

I've not ridden with Andy and do not know how proficient he is with his BMW R1200GS, he very well may be qualified to ride that big trailie on this route. But I do know that Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery strongly advised against trying this track with a machine greater than 650cc. I am following ShinyPartsUp lead and renting a Suzuki DR 650 from Moto-Discovery.
Thanks for the suggestion. As you see, I'm checking out the thread and wondering about the possibilities. As of right now, both Andy and I are total rookies with regard to off-road riding. We're taking every opportunity we can to have 'learning experiences' (and then picking the bikes up afterwards).

It may well be in our future to make a trip like this but of course, I need to consider seat height on a rental bike.

Jill, FWIW, YMMV, etc. yada, ayda

I don't have a hell of a lot of experience either. But Don does. You might want to ask him or other experienced off-roaders that have done similar riding what they think about experience necessary -- I am riding offroad every chance I get, and when it rains I'm going to continue for the experiences. As for a seat, they come with aftermarket saddles, and the LARGEST bike they allow is a 650. You may consider whether they have a suitable machine to rent by emailing them on the site.

Jill, FWIW, YMMV, etc. yada, ayda
I don't have a hell of a lot of experience either. But Don does. You might want to ask him or other experienced off-roaders that have done similar riding what they think about experience necessary -- I am riding offroad every chance I get, and when it rains I'm going to continue for the experiences. As for a seat, they come with aftermarket saddles, and the LARGEST bike they allow is a 650. You may consider whether they have a suitable machine to rent by emailing them on the site.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also trying to collect all the experience I can get. Heck - I even took my FJR down a gravel road yesterday but that's another story!

Most dual sports, even the smaller ones have seat heights in the mid thirties. My little BMW is about the tallest I can handle, at 29". With more experience, I may be able to ride a taller bike.

We're headed out to the desert in two weeks, for our first camping/riding trip of the season. My TTR125 hasn't been ridden in months. Can't wait!

Are you are saying the $2795 (with $400 deposit by 10/01) includes bike rental and all expenses except basic spending (fuel, food and (alcoholic) beverages?)

This trip would be that trip of a lifetime for sure! And there are only six (6) slots left???? Which will probably fill quickly?

Very Interesting!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you are saying the $2795 (with $400 deposit by 10/01) includes bike rental and all expenses except basic spending (fuel, food and (alcoholic) beverages?)
This trip would be that trip of a lifetime for sure! And there are only six (6) slots left???? Which will probably fill quickly?

Very Interesting!!
That is correct on the fee Dan. But you would have to call in your deposit tomorrow to get that rate. You can call me.

Renting the Suzuki DR 650's is $960 more.

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...-Z400E-94523048 For Big-D and others considering this Mexico dual sport ride. If you currently do not have a machine capable of this trip and do not want to spend the $960 to rent a bike for this run, you may want to buy a bike for Mexico and sell it when you return. I've found incredible deals at Cycle Trader on 5-10 year old Suzuki DR 400's, they usually go for around $2,500 and usually already Mexico off road equipped.

There is still the chance that I may go this route, buy a Suzuki DR 400 just for this Expedition and sell it when I return home!

POSTSCRIPT: Very nice thing about Suzie 400's is that they will fit Silver Penguin and MEM length legs with their seat heights!!

Called mi amigo Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery this AM to get an answer for ShinyPartsUp regarding how many empty spaces were still available for the November 2010 Copper Canyon Expedition: There are now just five available openings.

In our conversation he thanked me for support of MotoDiscovery, this is my fifth trip with MD and Pancho Villa Moto Tours, and he offered an extension to us of the $200 discount: Just say you're un amigo of Don Stanley, save $200 until 10/31/09.

"Hi Don....feel free to modify as needed...thanks again for all your support...mil gracias...sm

Amigos,

Looking ahead to 2010, MotoDiscovery has a new more off road intensive ride through the Copper Canyon that we refer to as The Explorer. Don Stanley, whom many of you probably know, has been a long time supporter of ours, a guy who we've come to appreciate not only because of that support but because he elevates the fun and enjoyment factor of any tour he is on...not to mention bringing a lot of great people along who share that same passionate character.

Occasionally we like to offer incentives and this case I do so because we understand the special dynamic that occurs when you bring a lot of friends together for a ride of this kind. For the Explorer date of Nov 7-16, 2010 we're extending a $200 discount to friends of Don. You'll need to sign up before Oct 31 and encourage you to do so early as this date is certain to sell out. Our intent is to make this tour a "band of brothers", bringing in a bunch of guys who already share that kind of chemistry that we feel adds to the fun and reward of international travel. "Mas amigos..mas caminos", as Don says!

MotoDiscovery has been doing this since 1981... thanks to you. I hope you'll take advantage of this little discount and will be riding with us Nov 7-18, 2010 to explore the Sierra Madres to the Sea of Cortez.

Saludos,

Skip Mascorro

FOUNDER

MOTODISCOVERY

--

MotoDiscovery

22200 Highway 46 West

Spring Branch, Texas 78070 -6774 USA

Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564

PH (830) 438-7744 FAX (830) 438-7745

www.motodiscovery.com

[email protected]

Called mi amigo Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery this AM to get an answer for ShinyPartsUp regarding how many empty spaces were still available for the November 2010 Copper Canyon Expedition: There are now just five available openings.
In our conversation he thanked me for support of MotoDiscovery, this is my fifth trip with MD and Pancho Villa Moto Tours, and he offered an extension to us of the $200 discount: Just say you're un amigo of Don Stanley, save $200 until 10/31/09.

"Hi Don....feel free to modify as needed...thanks again for all your support...mil gracias...sm

Amigos,

Looking ahead to 2010, MotoDiscovery has a new more off road intensive ride through the Copper Canyon that we refer to as The Explorer. Don Stanley, whom many of you probably know, has been a long time supporter of ours, a guy who we've come to appreciate not only because of that support but because he elevates the fun and enjoyment factor of any tour he is on...not to mention bringing a lot of great people along who share that same passionate character.

Occasionally we like to offer incentives and this case I do so because we understand the special dynamic that occurs when you bring a lot of friends together for a ride of this kind. For the Explorer date of Nov 7-16, 2010 we're extending a $200 discount to friends of Don. You'll need to sign up before Oct 31 and encourage you to do so early as this date is certain to sell out. Our intent is to make this tour a "band of brothers", bringing in a bunch of guys who already share that kind of chemistry that we feel adds to the fun and reward of international travel. "Mas amigos..mas caminos", as Don says!

MotoDiscovery has been doing this since 1981... thanks to you. I hope you'll take advantage of this little discount and will be riding with us Nov 7-18, 2010 to explore the Sierra Madres to the Sea of Cortez.

Saludos,

Skip Mascorro

FOUNDER

MOTODISCOVERY

--

MotoDiscovery

22200 Highway 46 West

Spring Branch, Texas 78070 -6774 USA

Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564

PH (830) 438-7744 FAX (830) 438-7745

www.motodiscovery.com

[email protected]
BUMP

Outstanding benefit for the muchachos! Thanks el burrito ballerina!

https://bckgs.blogspot.com/ Here is a ride report, of which our route through Copper Canyon is a part of, by my Canadian friends Brian, Conchita and Dan. Shiny, if you are ready for this: Brian and Conchita were two-up on a BMW R1200GS and Dan was on a KTM 950S Adventure. These wild and crazy Canuckistans rode this gnarly trek on 550 pound motorcycles!!!

3rd of the way into pics you'll see Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and the rest of the "CC" crew at El Divisadero outlook.

https://bckgs.blogspot.com/ Here is a ride report, of which our route through Copper Canyon is a part of, by my Canadian friends Brian, Conchita and Dan. Shiny, if you are ready for this: Brian and Conchita were two-up on a BMW R1200GS and Dan was on a KTM 950S Adventure. These wild and crazy Canuckistans rode this gnarly trek on 550 pound motorcycles!!!
3rd of the way into pics you'll see Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and the rest of the "CC" crew at El Divisadero outlook.
Ola Chuy,

I went over and checked out that ride report to South America. Damn that sounds like fun! Maybe some day. Those R1200GS looks like quite a machine. That may be my next bike. Next Spring maybe.

I am realy thinking of the Copper Canyon trip next November. Why would one not take a 1200GS?

If I don't go, maybe you guys could leave your FJRs etc here in Deming and I could drive you down to El Paso.

We'll see....

DK

Ola Chuy,

I went over and checked out that ride report to South America. Damn that sounds like fun! Maybe some day. Those R1200GS looks like quite a machine. That may be my next bike. Next Spring maybe.

I am realy thinking of the Copper Canyon trip next November. Why would one not take a 1200GS?

If I don't go, maybe you guys could leave your FJRs etc here in Deming and I could drive you down to El Paso.

We'll see....

DK

Since Beemerdons has actually ridden some of the areas on the tour I'll let him answer why not a GS1200. But the tour operators are professionals and know the terrain -- they suggest nothing heavier than a 650.

Storing the FJR's -- just might take you up on it if you don't go!

I found a short vid of a rider in the Copper Canyon area and a snippet in Urique:

https://ricky.static.com/go/video/view?vid_...10&com_pg=1

DingusKahn: Dirk, if you've outstanding dirt skills and incredible physical stamina you can ride from Creel through Urique to Sea of Cortez and back again through Batopilas on a BMW R1200GS. But the tracks we will be riding westward from Urique to Gulf of California at El Fuerte and then again eastward from Los Alamos back are some really ball busting dirt goat tracks.

If you crap out on a BMW R1200GS halfway in either direction, through necessity the group would have to stash your bike with the Indians and you'd have to ride in the support truck. Since no man is left behind, you would be OK. But you would be on your own to hire a Mexican with a four wheel drive pickup to rescue your BMW R1200GS later and get it out to Creel.

I've ridden to Batopilas and Urique three times, twice on a BMW R1100GS and once on a Kawasaki KLR650 and I still would not hesitate to go to those two destinations on a BMW R1200GS. There is no way on God's Green Earth I could ride West of them on anything bigger than a Suzuki DR650! But, I do not want to be a wet blanket on your dreams of riding this route on a BMW R1200GS; you saw that my Canadian friends Brian, Conchita and Dan made it on a GS and the big KTM 950.

Here's my suggestion: Call or post my friend Skip Mascorro, owner of Moto-Discovery, and explain to Skip what your life time off road experience is. Skip will let you know honestly if you've the skills and stamina to make it to the coast or not.

Skip's number is 1-800-233-0564 or send him an e-mail at [email protected] Thanks for your kind offer to Shiney and I to let us store the bikes in Deming at your place and run us to El Paso. Still looking for El Paso FJR Forum member!