For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Hola, amigos! We are riding with MotoDiscovery next November 2010 from Mexico's Copper Canyon at Creel, Chihuahua to the Sea of Cortez on Gulf of California at Guaymas, MEX. I'm inviting my FJR Forum Friends with dual sport bikes weighing less than 400 lbs. and having a 4 gal. fuel tank to join me on this trip. We are going November 7-18. Price is $2,995 in total!

If you book with MotoDiscovery before 10/01/09 price is reduced $200 to $2,795. You cannot do this ride any cheaper solo!

My BMW F650GS Twin is much too heavy for this gnarly terrain; this ride is much tougher than my trip to Real last spring!

I'm looking at buying a used BMW X Challenge for this tough track, but I'll need to outfit it with at least 4 gal. fuel capacity!

I may also just rent a Suzuki DR 650 from Skip Mascorro, owner of Pancho Villa Moto Tours, already dirt work equipped!!!

If you're interested in riding Mexico offroad con Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" contact Don S. at [email protected]

11 nights / 12 days. Starts & Ends in El Paso, TX

Photo Gallery | Book Now | Route Map | Other Mexico Road Tours | Print Page

This event is recommended for those who have already participated on a MotoDiscovery Copper Canyon or Road to Reàl Expeditions and wish to return for a more intensive and challenging off pavement adventure. The Sierra Madre Occidental beckons the moto-adventurer to explore its remote canyons, tackle its wide rivers ascend its towering peaks, and navigate through its arid chaparral. Along the way you will encounter those who live off the land; the cave dwelling Tarahumara, the Mayo and the Tepehuan Indians. If you love to ride, don’t mind getting dirty, and love Mexico as we do, then let this be your next motorcycle adventure.

The following highlights are representative of what you will encounter on this advanced Copper Canyon ride.

Highlights of Itinerary (Revised August 18, 2009)

Special Notes:

This event is limited to nine (9) riding guests and is intended for experienced off road riding enthusiasts. Motorcycles are to be street legal and a recommended limitation of 650 c.c. Non- riding guests may join the Expedition in the support vehicle on a space availability basis.

The concept of this event is to get you to the best riding as quickly as we can. To do this the tour gathers in El Paso, Texas where MotoDiscovery will provide transportation of bikes and tour participants to Creel and our base for beginning the Explorer. Less pavement, more dirt. The Copper Canyon is four times larger in size than the Grand Canyon of the USA. In actuality, the Copper Canyon is but one of a series of canyons that seem to collide and intersect for thousands of square miles, a geological confluence of high mesas, steep gorges, arid chaparral in its depths and cool pine forests at its heights. It will all be yours to explore. The pavement will run out quickly and then it is on to Cerocahui from where we descend to Urique, a village founded by Conquistadores in 1690 situated along a river and in a canyon of the same name. It is the deepest canyon of the Sierra Tarahumara complex. Like a number of villages, here Spanish Colonists discovered silver and gold. Urique is not your normal tourist town. The decent into this canyon is dramatic. After tackling the Copper Canyon region there will be two nights on the Sea of Cortez to relax, get a little sunshine, enjoy some sea food and prepare man and machine for the return leg to Creel. Before heading into the high Sierras, there will be a single night in Alamos, a stop that has provided MotoDiscovery riders with tastes of Colonial charm for decades. It will be a welcomed stay, civilization with some exquisite dining and comfortable lodging.

Chinipas is a hidden Sierra Madre town founded in 1626 that enjoyed a mining boom through much of the 18th and 19th century. The population today is not much more than a thousand and getting there will be a challenge. But once there you will certainly know you have found the real Mexico. You have to ford the river first, always a heart thumping and fun experience. Returning to the area of the Copper Canyon rim, the group reunites with the support vehicles that will transport bikes and road tested riders back to the USA. Includes

11 nights of best available hotel/lodge accommodations

Transportation of participants and motorcycles round trip from the border to Copper Canyon region

All breakfasts, dinners and most lunches

Refreshments and water supplied in the support vehicle

Well prepared Copper Canyon Explorer support/luggage vehicle with staff assistant

Satellite phone communications

Bilingual staff team

Critical GPS waypoints

Maps and pre tour preparation materials

MotoDiscovery Apparel gift

Dates

Nov 8 - 19, 2009

Feb 21 - Mar 4, 2010

Nov 7 - 18, 2010

Price $2,995 US per person

Single occupancy $440 US

If you desire a single room or for any reason we are unable to obtain a room mate for you, the single occupancy supplement will apply.

Motorcycle Rentals Available

Suzuki DR 650 specially prepared with larger gas tank, tail rack, skid plate and after market seat. $960.US. Includes liability Mexico insurance.

Deposit $400 US per person deposit.

Cancellation & Refund Policy

22200 Highway 46 West, Spring Branch, Texas 78070 USA. Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564 Phone (830) 438-7744 FAX (830) 438-7745

OFFICE GPS: N 29º 79.774', W 098º 45.284' Web design and development: Stylefish

Adventure Rider Training Mexico Tours & Expeditions Central America South America Europe Turkey Middle East Asia & India Subcontinent USA Customized Private Tours Recon Tours Special Sponsored Rides Our Story Our History Our People Industry Supporters Customer Comments & Profiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available: https://www.motodiscovery.com/tours/mexico/xccx.html

22200 Highway 46 West, Spring Branch, Texas 78070 USA. Toll Free USA & Canada 1(800) 233-0564 Phone (830) 438-7744 FAX (830) 438-7745

OFFICE GPS: N 29º 79.774', W 098º 45.284' Web design and development: Stylefish

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=116905&hl= A lot of this trip from Copper Canyon to Sea of Cortez will be similar to my Ride Report of the dirt trip to Real de Catorce last spring, but a lot of it will be different in scope/nature.

At both ends of this trip, which are a round trip from the Central Mexico mountains to the ocean, the accomodations will be excellent, incredible food and the roads in good shape. In the middle section of our routing, around Urique and Chiapas, the sleeping arrangements will basically be the same huts that the Tarahumara Indians are living in; food will be what the Indians are eating: rice, beans and chicken; and the "roads" are basically goat tracks through the forest, with no bridges!!!

These Mayo & Tepehuan Indian villages we'll be spending the night at have: No electricity, no running water and outhouses!

Has anyone on FJR Forum owned a Suzuki DRZ400S? If so, how'd you like it and would you buy another one for dirt work?

2001 SUZUKI DRZ400S

$3,995.00 Ad Listing ID: 95468864

CONTACT THIS SELLER

(818) 521-6722

Vehicle location: Thousand Oaks, CA

VEHICLE DETAILS

Year:2001

Make:SUZUKI

Model:DRZ400S

Type:Motorcycle

SELLER DESCRIPTION

2001 SUZUKI DRZ400S, 600 miles, Built for a baja trip that never happened.Baja Designs/DynoJet carb kit,Big Gun Quiet series full pipe,DID gold chain Sunstar alloy sprocket,Fresh DOT Dunlop knobbys,super HD tubes,Acerbis rally pro handguards and taillight/fender combo,White Bros.skid plate and turn signal mounts,taller Renthal bars with fold down mirrors,IMS 3.2 gal. tank, pro series pegs and longer shifter,carbon fiber fork guards, steel mesh headlight guard,aluminum rear disc and caliper guards,This bike runs much stronger than stock but just as reliable.This is the finest Dual-Sport for the money bar none.This bike is HOT!Leave a message I'll call you back. $3995.00, 818-521-6722

Printed on Sep-16-2009 Courtesy CycleTrader.comTM

Alright, we already have two takers for this Expedition. One from our FJR Forum and one from the AZ Beemers BMW Club.

However, both of these gentlemen would like to go in November in order to save up money and vacation time for this trip.

November is fine with me, remember I am now retired and do nothing all day but ride mi motos and look after my two sons:

Seth, age 12 and SkooterG, age 43. But, I'm sending $400 deposit money in by October 1 so I can get this trip for $2,795!!!

Alright, we already have two takers for this Expedition. One from our FJR Forum and one from the AZ Beemers BMW Club.
However, both of these gentlemen would like to go in November in order to save up money and vacation time for this trip.

November is fine with me, remember I am now retired and do nothing all day but ride mi motos and look after my two sons:

Seth, age 12 and SkooterG, age 43. But, I'm sending $400 deposit money in by October 1 so I can get this trip for $2,795!!!
I'm thinking. PM sent. November 2010 would be my only option if I pull the trigger.

Hola Skip,

You have hooked me again, mi Amigo! You e-mailed me your promotional knocking $200 off of the Advanced Copper Canyon Ride in 2010.

I wanted to save $200 on this ride from Copper Canyon to Los Mochis, making it $2,795; the check should get to you by Monday, in Texas.

My good friend ShinyPartsUp from Roseburg, Oregon is also interested in this Expedition; he currently rides Kawasaki KLR 650 Enduro.

I, and Mike if he can go, are interested in renting Suzie 650's from you; DR's would be much better for this trek than my 2009 BMW F650GS.

And "El Jefe" BB-AZ is interested in going also. You remember BB from the Copper Canyon Ride of 2007 and last Real de Catorce ride.

Mike's e-mail address is U812. Please get him on the Mexico Rides newsletter list, so he can see what goes on at Moto-Discovery Tours!

I have also mailed you title pages from the two threads on the Advanced Copper Canyon Ride I have started at FJR Forum and AZ Beemers.

Recuerdos, Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" aka Don Stanley ATENCION: Booking is for November 7-18, 2010 Expedition.

Cell: 480-440-4666

Home: 480-917-3863

Chandler, Arizona

After much hemming and hawing, I sent my deposit by CC number, and application information to the tour operators for this trip. Thanks Don for getting one of my bucket list items moving...

Oh yeah, only nine total slots available... Bump

EDIT: Decided renting a bike was cheaper than outfitting and transporting the KLR to Texas. I plan to ride my FJR down to Tejas and park it for the 12 days of the adventure. Any forum members in the El Paso area willing to store PussyKat in their garage for @ two weeks next year?

Small segue on to what ShinyPartsUp has posted above: At this point in time there are now only six open spots left for this Copper Canyon Advanced Expedition Tour of November 7-18, 2010. ShinyPartsUp, I - Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" and Brian "El Jefe" Boles have all sent in our $400 deposit fee to secure our places on this trek. Send in your $400 before October 1 and you save $200, making cost $2,795. This trip would be right up the alley of riders like dcarver and RenoJohn.

POSTSCRIPT: I'm also looking for a FJR Forum member in El Paso who would let me store FJR Miss Lucy Liu in your garage.

ADDENDUM: Silver Penguin & Andy, this Mexico trip would be ideal for a husband and wife combination such as yourselves!

You both are already off road riders, both with BMW GS's, so you currently possess the skills you would need for this one.

I've not ridden with Andy and do not know how proficient he is with his BMW R1200GS, he very well may be qualified to ride that big trailie on this route. But I do know that Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery strongly advised against trying this track with a machine greater than 650cc. I am following ShinyPartsUp lead and renting a Suzuki DR 650 from Moto-Discovery.

I've not ridden with Andy and do not know how proficient he is with his BMW R1200GS, he very well may be qualified to ride that big trailie on this route. But I do know that Skip Mascorro of Moto-Discovery strongly advised against trying this track with a machine greater than 650cc.
As a back-country off-highway adventurer, and having ridden in Mexico and the Barranca del Cobre area and to Batopilas (on an XT350) I can heartily recco following Skip's advice. IMO, there are just no benefits to an overly-large dual-sport bike (in rough country) -- only drawbacks.

Some 650cc D-S bikes can be a real handfull -- when loaded for touring and on really bad roads (like in Mexico). I've ridden these sorts of rides with guys who've chosen to ride 200cc and 250cc bikes and they've never had a problem (like not being able to keep-up, etc.) -- a 350/400cc bike may be the 'ideal'? Certainly, a 650cc is "plenty" (imho).

Bueno suerte and enjoy.... :)

Charasmatica -- good advice. The 650's being rented are likely good to go since they are set up by the tour operators, and likely have made the trip before ;-) Hope I'm right.

Unashamed bump with a link to a Google map of one place on the itinerary near Urique, with a picture of (?)accomodations with the Tarahumara indians. I may find other pertinent photos and post.

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/2740064

An adventure to be sure...

Shiny's right, Barrancas del Cobre is most scenic place on earth. The 650's have made this trek from Creel to El Fuerte before. Will be my 4th trip to Batopilas, twice on my BMW R1100GS and once before on a Kawasaki KLR 650. MEX Mules!!!

some other incredible photos:
Here's another:

3950334113_9391ac28f2.jpg