Photo

FJRF006.1: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 happyPuppy

happyPuppy

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

http://www.ama-cycle...ory.asp?id=1332

Yamaha is recalling certain model year 2005 motorcycles. The throttle position sensor can fail. Here's the notice.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
YAMAHA / FJR1300 2005
YAMAHA / FZS600 2005
YAMAHA / YZF-R1 2005
Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V360000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 180
Summary:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN OCTOBER 2004 AND APRIL 2005. THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR CAN FAIL.
Consequence:
FAILURE OF THE THROTTLE POSITION COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TOHTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

#2 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

I thought this was old news on GEN I bikes,. Such as discussed here 2 years ago?
http://www.fjrforum....showtopic=15521

EDIT: I think I found the original thread posting the GENI TPS recall here:
go ahead, hit me.

dntknw.gif I feel like I'm in a wayback machine. You mean Yammie didn't recall ALL 2005's?????????????
The only difference between intelligence and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

#3 happyPuppy

happyPuppy

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:44 AM

So did I, but the date is 2009 and the number of bikes is small. Perhaps bikes registered but they never had it done?

"Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009"
"Potential Number of Units Affected: 180"
"YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300."

#4 ShinyPartsUp

ShinyPartsUp

Old Goat

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,594 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (happyPuppy @ Sep 20 2009, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So did I, but the date is 2009 and the number of bikes is small. Perhaps bikes registered but they never had it done?

"Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009"
"Potential Number of Units Affected: 180"
"YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300."

I noticed that. A clerical error they are just getting to? Seems weird to me but looks like you are right.
The only difference between intelligence and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.

#5 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,545 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

Maybe the second run of FJRs in 2005 (2005 1/2 ?) didn't get the new TPS from the factory, or maybe some of them didn't get it and Yamaha can't tell for sure which ones did.
'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#6 pmspaul

pmspaul

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for posting this. I just ran my '05 VIN through Yamaha's site and it turns out it was part of the first TPS recall and the previous owner never had it done. So, a big thanks for bringing that to my attention. I guess I should have checked on it preventatively in the first place.

#7 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

As I remember it, not all of the '05's were covered by the original recall, only those under a certain VIN number. Maybe this picks up the remainder?

Either way, mine was also covered under the original recall, but I have not wanted to bring my bike to a dealership to be abused updated. I figure I'll wait until I get a symptom...

-Fred W                 nerd.gif

#8 1wheel peel

1wheel peel

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:28 AM

I got the recall notice in the mail about two months ago. I have not had any issues at 21k on my 05 and have not gotten around to having it done. But I do still have the notice. Have there been any reported failures here?

#9 squeezer

squeezer

Squirrelly Geezer

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Fred W @ Sep 21 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Either way, mine was also covered under the original recall, but I have not wanted to bring my bike to a dealership to be abused updated. I figure I'll wait until I get a symptom...

Oh, the symptoms blow, like -- just one example that comes to mind -- having your engine drop to idle on the D.C. Beltway.

Whenever Mama Yama wants to give you a new bit for free, go get it. thumbsup.gif

nafo01a.gif AMA #737159, IBA #7820, AARP #(I just can't remember...)
Cool FJR swag (+ the Vintage Rider gear) is here!
Top of the Bell Curve Rally Team

#10 Ignacio

Ignacio

Administrative Idealist

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thanks happyPuppy and ShinyPartsUp. This recall eluded my numbering scheme years ago to try and highlight the common issues of the FJR. I've since given the original TPS issue the number FJRF006 and pinned it. I would plan to give this one FJRF006.1 as an addendum.....and also pin it under the Technical/Mechanical Problems section...unless you have an objection.

My LD Blog, IBA #332

2014ES "Deep Thought", 2005 ABS "Heart of Gold", 2005 "Zaphod" & 2013 Husqvarana TR650 Strada "Noxeema"
wfo04.gif through wfo09.gifBMR.jpg150K%2005CLUB.jpg
Seat Review here (click on About Me) or here. Gen 1 LED conversion for instrument lights here and taillights here. Watts of radar detectors and GPS here.
Google Search is your FJRForum friend! Try something like best tire FJR site:fjrforum.com at google.com

#11 FJRBluesman

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hmmmmm. My bike falls into this new category. I'll have to check with my local Yammer dealer to see if it was already done by the previous owner.
Original Valencia Stripe FJR, #1.
FJRBluesman quotables:
"Never ride anything with a brain!" "Friends don't let friends ride GenIIs"
The Piston Return Spring.... Without it, the internal combustion engine would be nothing....

#12 JuiceMcGoose

JuiceMcGoose

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

I agree with Fred, if it works don't fix it. My TPS hasn't been done and won't be done until something goes wrong with it.

After my original vocation as an auto mechanic and experiencing the mind set of those I worked for and with I've only allowed someone else to work on my stuff once, other than changing tires, a recall I didn't want to mess with. I now have a Cycle Hill tire changer so I will be doing my own tires now.

#13 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (squeezer @ Sep 21 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, the symptoms blow, like -- just one example that comes to mind -- having your engine drop to idle on the D.C. Beltway.

(Lucky for me) I would never venture onto the DC beltway on a motorcycle in a gazzilion years, TPS recall or not. I don't ride in Boston, NYC or anywhere that people take great pride in driving like their hair is on fire for that matter. I like the added protection of a steel cage when I'm taking on those a-holes.

Call me a wuss, I don't care. glare.gif

#14 Heffalump

Heffalump

FNG

• Members+
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

The TPS was replaced on my '04 a couple of years ago.

I used to ride on the DC beltway until about 15 yrs ago when I barely missed dropping my bike through a huge "pothole" on the Cabin John bridge. You could see the river through the hole.
After that and a couple tangles with mentally challenged drivers I quit...

#15 Shane

Shane

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Fred W @ Sep 22 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(Lucky for me) I would never venture onto the DC beltway on a motorcycle in a gazzilion years, TPS recall or not. I don't ride in Boston, NYC or anywhere that people take great pride in driving like their hair is on fire for that matter. I like the added protection of a steel cage when I'm taking on those a-holes.

Wuss

rolleyes.gif

Shane

IBA member #7676

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?" - Abraham Lincoln

http://www.fjrforum....mp;#entry747189

#16 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (Shane @ Oct 3 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Fred W @ Sep 22 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wuss

rolleyes.gif

Shane

Yabbat, I'm an alive wuss. wink.gif

Due to recent circumstances, I have now had the "opportunity" to bring my beloved to a dealership for other required work. Rest easy. The TPS recall has now been accomplished. tongue.gif

#17 markjenn

markjenn

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

According to this new recall, it only affects 20 FJR's (the rest are 600's and R1s) and the VIN's don't look familar to me - I doubt they are US production. So it appears they just missed a few bikes in the first go-around.

It's a judgment call, but I'd definitely get safety recall work done and risk having someone else work on your bike, especially for something relatively straigthforward like this. I doubt TPS failure would give you much warning - instead, your bike would just suddenly quit and that could be dangerous.

- Mark

#18 harfooz

harfooz

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Since I bought my bike second-hand, I'd like to find out a) if my bike is affected, and cool.gif if the recall was previously done. Is there somewhere online where we can find out those kind of details by providing our VIN?

Thanks,
'fooz
2005 Yamaha FJR1300 in Galaxy Blue
2009 Harley-Davidson FLHX in Big Purple Flake and Brilliant Silver

Posted Image

#19 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,729 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (harfooz @ Dec 16 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I bought my bike second-hand, I'd like to find out a) if my bike is affected, and cool.gif if the recall was previously done. Is there somewhere online where we can find out those kind of details by providing our VIN?...

Call or go to the Yamaha dealer of your choice and give them your VIN. They will look up your VIN on Yamaha's computer system and tell you what if any recalls are open for your FJR and they can also tell you which ones have been completed.

"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#20 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

No, there is no database for you to look up whether it has already been completed or not online.
But you can call a Yamaha dealership with you VIN # and they can look it up on their system.

Dang, beat to the punch by the Professor again! blink.gif