Strange Oil Levels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFFJR

Reaction score
Changed my oil (for the second time) a couple of weeks ago. I'm always cautious not to overfill the case and this time was no different. The oil seemed to settle right below the upper dot on the sight glass. A couple of weeks later, I noticed the oil level was above the second dot. Didn't think much of it (figured I must have just had the bike at an angle) but it didn't go away after sitting on the center stand overnight in my garage.

At that point I decided, however dumb this may be, that I should drain the excess out (not even thinking of the crush washer). So I drained what I assumed to be the excess out and rode to work. No leaks, so the crush washer turned out to be not too big of a deal. However, even after leaving the bike on the center stand overnight on a level spot, the oil level is still above the second dot. It actually seems to have filled up the entire sight glass.

I'm not losing any coolant, so that isn't it. What else could be causing the level to appear to go up? I never removed the filler cap, so could there be some weird air bubble in there?

I'm considering just doing a full oil change again, but would rather save the $50 if I could since this is such a fresh change. As always, thanks for the help!

EDIT: I only have 6,000 miles or so on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a common occurrence on the FJR. It's 'normal' so-to-speak. Try not to stress too much about it.

After an oil change, I now fill only up to the 'half' way point. And it still will sometimes go above the window. Like I said, just don't think about it. Everything is still ok.

Why does it do it? No idea. Perhaps air in the oil? Gas in the oil?

One thing is certain however - make sure you check your oil level consistently every time per the manual. FJR on centerstand, stop engine, let settle for a few minutes. DON'T move the bike after shutting down the engine.

Changed my oil (for the second time) a couple of weeks ago. I'm always cautious not to overfill the case and this time was no different. The oil seemed to settle right below the upper dot on the sight glass. A couple of weeks later, I noticed the oil level was above the second dot. Didn't think much of it (figured I must have just had the bike at an angle) but it didn't go away after sitting on the center stand overnight in my garage.
At that point I decided, however dumb this may be, that I should drain the excess out (not even thinking of the crush washer). So I drained what I assumed to be the excess out and rode to work. No leaks, so the crush washer turned out to be not too big of a deal. However, even after leaving the bike on the center stand overnight on a level spot, the oil level is still above the second dot. It actually seems to have filled up the entire sight glass.

I'm not losing any coolant, so that isn't it. What else could be causing the level to appear to go up? I never removed the filler cap, so could there be some weird air bubble in there?

I'm considering just doing a full oil change again, but would rather save the $50 if I could since this is such a fresh change. As always, thanks for the help!
An '06 and you have only changed the oil twice??? JK!

An interesting situation. How much oil did you add? Did you change the filter? When you drained some oil did you bring the level into the sight glass?

Once a week you drain out a pint, and every nine weeks you can change your oil again for free. B)

SkooterG covered it. Seems to happen with mine every time. It's the damnedest thing.
I think his location has a lot to do with it.
Just bought it in May and it only had 3k miles on it. Changed the oil the weekend after I bought it and when I rolled over 6k miles.

So I shouldn't worry -- even though I just drained some out? I'd now worry that I'm low, but the sight glass is now completely full. I've been out of town for 2 weeks and the bike has been sitting -- thought that might clear things up, but nope... I was going to drain more out this morning, but it sound like I should be ok.

I always replace the filter when I change the oil and use the indicators on the side of the quart to get me to the fraction of oil necessary. Usually I do even less so it is only halfway up the sight glass, then I add as needed after the first ride (to prevent overfill...). This time, it was right up to the second dot after the oil change and a first ride. Was rather proud of myself for getting it "on the dot" the first time. And now it seems way up. Hmmm....

SkooterG covered it. Seems to happen with mine every time. It's the damnedest thing.
I think his location has a lot to do with it.
Just bought it in May and it only had 3k miles on it. Changed the oil the weekend after I bought it and when I rolled over 6k miles.

So I shouldn't worry -- even though I just drained some out? I'd now worry that I'm low, but the sight glass is now completely full. I've been out of town for 2 weeks and the bike has been sitting -- thought that might clear things up, but nope... I was going to drain more out this morning, but it sound like I should be ok.

I always replace the filter when I change the oil and use the indicators on the side of the quart to get me to the fraction of oil necessary. Usually I do even less so it is only halfway up the sight glass, then I add as needed after the first ride (to prevent overfill...). This time, it was right up to the second dot after the oil change and a first ride. Was rather proud of myself for getting it "on the dot" the first time. And now it seems way up. Hmmm....

I have an '06 too. I change the oil, put on a new filter and add 1 gallon of oil. (I pre-fill the oil filter before screwing it on with oil from the gallon) Puts me in the upper half of the site glass everytime.

my '04 doesn't do that...plus, IMHO, if the bike is like most and oil cools the stator, I'd rather be a little high than a little low...the splash of the oil hits the stator and it does better with the oil as high as reasonable

but I digress

I'm one who believes in pre filling the filter...I pour a gallon in the bike...after running it, I found it to be low and on past bikes, it was possible for air to get in the filter and the oil pressure light to stay on until "burping" the filter by opening it just enough to let the air out (and a bit of oil) with the engine running. Well, to prevent that possibility, pre fill the filter.

After putting in the gallon, I take a quart and start pouring in oil into the filter. The element absorbs the oil until there's about 1/3 full looking down into it. Then I screw it on (no oil comes out).

I then run the bike for 5 minutes, let it sit (all this time it's on the center stand) 10-15 minutes, then check it. If needed, I pour enough oil in to get to the top mark or a little higher. Good to go...bike has 103k miles and no oil issues.

Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic in the dark blue gallon jug plus another quart...Yammy oil filter...

FYI

* In certain cases, the oil level may have risen since the last time you checked. This could be due to condensed water (from combustion), condensed fuel or a coolant leak - all are causes for concern.

* Fuel-diluted motor oil (from blow-by or leakage) can substantially reduce oil viscosity and thin additive concentration. This can result in the odor of diesel fuel, can often be detected by smelling the oil inlet cap.

* Free and emulsified water is harmful to the oil and the engine. It is important to remember that combustion produces water in your engine - more water than the fuel consumed. Most of the water goes out the exhaust, but if the engine is cool, much of it may condense in the crankcase.

* A simple way to detect water in used motor oil is to put a drop of oil from the dipstick on a hot exhaust. If it crackles (sounds like bacon frying) this is an indication of water contamination. Beware that there is some risk that the drop of oil may catch fire.

* Brand new vehicles imported from Japan may have a high oil level due to short-run engine starts (as many as 50) required when the vehicle is transported from the assembly plant, across the ocean, and finally to the dealer. In this case, an oil and filter change may be merited.

* Coolant leak is a serious problem relating to high oil level.

* Whatever the cause of the high oil level, the condition needs to be quickly corrected.

* Note: accidental overfilling oil into your engine can cause problems too. As the crankshaft rotates it will churn the oil, causing aeration and eventually sustained foam may form. This can lead to overheated motor oil, oxidation and a loss of oil pressure. Spongy aerated oil is hard to pump. It starves the engine and critical lubricated surfaces.

In summary, if an engine is started and not run long enough to expel condensation out the exhaust, when the engine is turned off, that condensation (water) will settle inside your crankcase, creating an elevated oil level.

FYI
In summary, if an engine is started and not run long enough to expel condensation out the exhaust, when the engine is turned off, that condensation (water) will settle inside your crankcase, creating an elevated oil level.
That may be it. I do make short trips on base a lot (going to PT, then the gym, then to work). Sometimes I even make quick runs during lunch. None of those are more than a mile or two (at most). Just enough that riding saves time, but not enough to get the engine hot.

Hmmm...

It seems to me that if you're generating enough condensation to cause the oil level to rise, the water would cause your oil to look "milky" from the water in suspension with the oil...

If the oil showing in the sight glass appears normal, I doubt you have a problem. Just keep it above the low mark and enjoy your ride!

Running the bike hard enough to get it up to full operating temp is of course advantageous, and should be practiced as often as possible!

:devil:

Don

Just drained it down to where it sits a little below the top dot. I swear I could smell a twinge of gas in there. What the heck could have caused that on a bike with only 7k or so miles?!?

I am telling you all. DON'T OVER THINK THIS.

It happens. All the time. To most folks FJRs.

211k on my FJR. I quit worrying about it a long time ago. I really suggest you do the same.

I am telling you all. DON'T OVER THINK THIS.
It happens. All the time. To most folks FJRs.

211k on my FJR. I quit worrying about it a long time ago. I really suggest you do the same.
Don't over think the overfill or the gas smell? I'm not nearly as familiar with this machine as I have been other bikes/cages, so I'm just a little trigger shy. Didn't want to let something simple turn in to something big by ignoring it, that's all.

I hope I get a chance to put 211k on my FJR. :yahoo:

USA ~

Listen to the ScooterMan!

Nearly ANY m/c will have the faint odor of gas in the crankcase if you sniff the filler opening. Minor amounts of unburned raw gas get by the rings in normal operation, and leave the telltale odor of gas. In your particular case, your's may smell a bit stronger than "normal" because of your frequent short hop type trips, allowing a higher buildup of gas.

The way an engine purges itself of the gas and water vapor buildup in the crankcase is getting it up to full operating temps and then riding it for long enough to purge those vapors through heat and crankcase ventilation. This is the reason auto manufacturers recommend a shorter oil change interval for short trip types of operation... you just never get the engine up to full operating temps for long enough for the oil to have the chance to purge itself of the contaminents. M/c is exactly the same scenario.

Relax a bit and enjoy your ride... preferably for longer trips from time to time! :laughingsmiley:

Don

I'm with Auburn on this one. Forget the extra .23 qt of oil and put in only a gallon. Mine always ends up right between the dots and seldom rises between changes.

--G