Givi rack for GenII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
I bought a Givi SR357 tubular rack and tried to install it this past Saturday. It doesn't fit my 2006. The holes in the rack look like they line up with the rear subframe. I checked the spacers with a caliper and they match the dimensions in the assembly instructions.

If I first thread the screws (through the spacers) into the the three rearmost holes, there is a large gap between the rack and the subframe where the two threaded holes are under the seat. If I start the two holes under the seat first, the others won't start without cross treading.

Weird.

I called Givi and I am the only person they have ever heard of having this problem. I'm not surprised.

While I had 'em on the phone, I asked how to pronounce Givi. It's GeeVee (Gee as in "Gee Wally, that's swell!!" )

Anyway, if any of you Minnesotans with a GenII would like to help, let me know. I want to make sure the problem is the rack and not the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you spec the holes up to the stock rear grip piece to see if it matches that?

Corey

O.K.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here are the details:

DSC04946.JPG

The photo above and the photo below show that all of the screws start in all of the threaded holes if the spacers are removed.

DSC04947.JPG

If the three supplied spacers are used, and the the three screws through them are snugged down...

DSC04949.JPG
[SIZE=36pt] - - [/SIZE]
DSC04948.JPG

there is a gap between the subframe and the Givi rack under the seat:

DSC04951.JPG

It would be possible to press down on the Givi cross member and start the remaining two screws, ...

DSC04950.JPG

but I am not comfortable having that much torsional preload on either the Givi rack or the FJR's rear subframe.

I'm on my way to return the rack. Wish me luck.

Huh. Weird. I didn't have that problem at all with my 357.

I wonder if the rack is mis-shaped somehow? Did you try screwing down the subframe section first? I think you're supposed to do that first and then do the tail section second.

For what it's worth, here's my 2009 installation write-up. Total installation time from unboxing to clean up was less than forty minutes.

Bummer, good luck :(

I removed my SR357 today to facilitate a wiring project and it literally fell right back in place. Yours is a mystery.

The only thing I see that you may be doing is mounting the plate to the support before mounting the support to the bike. Seems rather minor but I have always, including today, disassembled the plate from the support and then mounted them separately, support first. No logical method to the madness except it works every time.

If you're sure you have the correct support and rack it might make the difference. May be overkill but I have never had the kind of issues you're having.

Please keep us posted on your success.

Keep Going!

The only thing I see that you may be doing is mounting the plate to the support before mounting the support to the bike.
The only reason the Givi plate is on the Givi rack is to keep track of the washers, vibration dampers and fasteners. The fasteners holding the mounting plate to the rack have not been torqued.

I keep hoping a local GenII owner will chime in because I want to eliminate my rear subframe as the cause of the problem. I've emailed Givi USA and the shop I bought the rack from. I didn't make it to the shop before they closed today. I don't want any hard feelings, I just want to return the rack.

When I buy my E52, I'll mount it using either the Givi E228, a Premier Cycle Accessories rack, or a plate I fab myself (thanks Shane for the Givi rack).

I temporarily changed the title of this thread from Givi rack for GenII, Trying to diagnose why it doesn't fit. to Hey Minnesotans!, I need a little Help!Trying to diagnose why Givi rack for GenII doesn't fit.

This shouldn't take more than an hour of your time. It takes about fifteen minutes to swap the grab rails / rack. I want to know for sure that the problem is the new rack and not something I might have done:

DSC04824_marked-up.JPG

If it turns out that there is nothing wrong with the new Givi rack, I'm going to have to pull all the plastic off the tail of the bike. I don't see anything abnormal in there now and I've looked at it pretty thoroughly.

Hey joe, I am on the other side of da cities from you and I am not really available until mid week. But I have a 2006 with a Givi rack and a V46. If I can help you I would be honered.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Forgot to add, when I put my rack on in '06, I seem to remember that it fit "just so". I mean that I had to start all the fasteners and tighten them together 'cause the clearance was so tight.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

I had the same problem with my GIVI rack. I had to mount it by fastening the three bolts in the rear and then push down on the front to get them started. I rode a 5500 trip after the installation and the rear box bounced alot. I think because the rack is loaded. I am going to shave down the front spacers and see if this will help.

Same problem with my Givi rack on an '06. Had to start all of the bolts and then tighten each a little before starting the rotation again. I just kept reminding my self that it was Italian craftsmanship. I bought Givi side case mounts for a Honda VFR 800 several years ago, and the fit was so far off I just tossed them in a corner and sold the bags.

Update:

Last night mr.paul and I solved this little mystery. We removed his SR357 assembly (including spacers) and set them on my bike. I still had the gap under the seat. At this point, I'm thinking "Shit! It's my bike."

But, then we set my brand new SR357 assembly (including spacers) on his bike and the gap was there too!

So, all the worry over nothing. The rack seems designed by Givi to add tension to the rear subframe. (Thanks Solo and skortfire for confirming this.)

I'm still curious about why though.

On my first gen rack there are spacers that go underneath the cross bar for the two bolts in the front too.

I don't see any in your pictures, do they not use or supply them on 2nd gens?

I see. Interesting. Givi added rubber "cushions" under the front bar mounting for some reason. It used to be bolted up tight through a spacer. I wonder why the felt it necessary to reduce vibration? Maybe they thought that had something to do with the weld fatigue.

In any case, you do have those rubber cushion spacers (item 13) in there, right?

Fred, From that picture Joel posted, it looks like those 'Gomma Sagomatas' ;) go next to the bolt and rest on the frame. They don't act as a spacer for the bolts.

Fred, From that picture you posted, it looks like those Goma Sagomatas go next to the bolt and rest on the frame. They don't act as a spacer for the bolts.
Not my picture, but...

Correct, but it would still space the cross member up accomplishing the same thing, right?

You are too quick for me. I tried to correct my post but you quoted the original. :eek:

I would expect the bolt to pull the rack down against the frame where the bolt screws in or a solid spacer to go in between. I wonder if the side pipes of the rack are just not bent enough.