Clear Alternatives LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
I replaced the double tail/brake light bulbs on my cruiser with one of these boards

https://clearalternatives.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=LED

I've attempted to get them to make one for the FJR Gen 1 and Gen 2

If I had enough committments to purchase which is generally $50 plus shipping, I could make another attempt and set up a group buy like I did for my Vulcan. The difference was amazing and the smaller Vulcans have marginal electrical systems which was a bonus lowering amps used. About 50 units were sold through my group buy after convincing them it was profitable for them to design and manufacture a board for my Vulcan peeps.

I replaced the double tail/brake light bulbs on my cruiser with one of these boards

If I had enough committments to purchase which is generally $50 plus shipping, I could make another attempt and set up a group buy like I did for my Vulcan. The difference was amazing and the smaller Vulcans have marginal electrical systems which was a bonus lowering amps used. About 50 units were sold through my group buy after convincing them it was profitable for them to design and manufacture a board for my Vulcan peeps.
I would be in for a set for the front and rear

it is one unit that replaces the two 1157 tail lights...running and braking with board with many red leds that are two intensitys or probably half light when running and all light when braking. Very impressed with the improvement on my cruiser.

I too am interested in this...for the brake/running lights. I'd like to see them though. I hate LEDs these days, as there are (what seem like) three basic kinds...old fashioned, rather dim; semi-bright; OMG that hurts. (The last are what I have in my ClearWater Lights.) Which do these guys use? I wish they included the specs on the bulbs they use.

I'm also going to contact them about getting an 1156 base on the generic 2" board light, as I can use those in my RV.

it is one unit that replaces the two 1157 tail lights...running and braking with board with many red leds that are two intensitys or probably half light when running and all light when braking. Very impressed with the improvement on my cruiser.
I would like a set that is a board that fills in behind the lens area for the brake/tail and for the amber front running/blinkers.

board is mounted inside and behind the rear light red housing

running:

1590825033_b96f07f078_o.jpg

braking:

1590824999_c32de0fb82_o.jpg

Wow...you keep your bike in a dresser drawer? Have you ever accidentally put it on instead of socks?
single car garage with the Vulcan cruiser and a Goldwing stored in there...each parked in a diagonal corner so either bike could be backed out without disturbing the other...niece's baby dresser when changing table and crib couldn't be salvaged over the years.

good storage there

I’m interested Mike.

My 2003 R1 had a factory LED tail light. I don't understand why they don't make it standard on every bike made.

The near pure wavelength of LEDs gets your attention much better than an incandescent lamp, they last virtually forever, use almost no power and produce almost no heat. All good!!!

Yes, I would be up to try these on my 2008 FJR. What are you doing with all these opinions you are collecting?

I contacted them too a while back and they weren't going to make any right then. BUT....I would also be very interested in one if they did make them. Put some more "watts" in the bank so to speak. I'm in for one!

Hi,

I have one on my Vstar :yahoo: , big difference from the stock bulb. I'm interested just let me know when they go into production.

2 problems here:

big one is they are designed for tail light units that the red plastic lense cover is removeable like on cruisers

Feej is not like that...it has two bayonet recepticles that come out from the under the seat and the back of the tail light unit/tail pod through smallish holes.

also, the tail light housings are different for Gen I and Gen II

my Vulcan Cruiser was the same bike from '85-2008

many many thousands of the same bike produced

they made a unit for our bike and sold over 100 of them

not gonna be so for the Feej, I fear

they have not been receptive to the idea of producting a unit to sell for the Feej

I believe it's a dead issue and I don't blame them

personally, i'm happy with adding hyperlites (or led lic plate frame, or whatever in addition to the tail lights)

I also see led replacement bulbs getting better and better

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

2 problems here: big one is they are designed for tail light units that the red plastic lens cover is removable. . . Feej has two . . . smallish holes. (edited)
I wish this had worked out. But the taillight bulb openings aren't smallish. They're just freaking tiny. Only big enough to squeeze an 1157 bulb through. I tried two ways to convert to LED taillights. I got a little LED cluster with a base compatible with an 1157 in a store closeout a while back--so cheap I took a chance. The cluster wouldn't pass through the hole. Gave it away to a friend with a cruiser. Then I sent for another one with a measured circumference I knew would fit. Well, it just wasn't bright enough--only had 6 or 7 LEDs in it. When I had a KLR, I (and a lot of the other guys) had the setup below--made for the bike (and you're right, Mike, the KLR was unchanged since Old Michael was called "kid.")

KLR%20650%20LED%20Tailight%20Small.jpg

Would have saved a lot of electrons, as well as the extra brightness:

graph.gif

It was very bright, in an "X" shape, and flashed a few times after braking, then stayed bright. But no way could you shove it through a 3/4" hole to mount it. I tried accessing the FJR taillight bulbs by disassembly one time, but gave it up. I suspect you'd have to buy the whole thing to replace a broken lens.

Last edited by a moderator: