GPS vs Spot tracker question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
I went for a ride with Bungie this summer and thought his Spot Tracker was da' bomb! I'm looking for a GPS and I read that some units have a breadcrumb thingy that you can upload to something like google maps and people can see the same thing, just not in real time.

I keep googling & searching and can't find a word on the subject. I even downloaded the owners manual from Garmin on their new NUVI, which has 10000 breadcrumb 'capacity'. But there's ZERO mention in the manual!!!, their website or anywhere i can find.

My question is: If I bother picking a GPS for this feature, is posting a day's progress online something that's relatively quick & easy to do once a day? Or a giant pita? Can I plug my GPS into anyone's computer to do so or does it require software to be installed? (IE do I have to haul my laptop with me on long hauls, which would be a deal breaker)

EDIT - a link to some resource (like a f-ing complete owners manual) would be best, so I can read about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Leskid, I'm certainly no expert on the subject but think this feature on a gps is to be downloaded to a pc "after" your trip or if you have a laptop with you can load other gps's in a group with your way points or "bread crumb" trail. To show where you have been as not to get lost. Not sure this is possible to have live tracking but is a great idea and I'm interested if someone else has some info on it. Good luck, PM. <>< :unsure:

I think most GPS's have a 'track' feature, but I also think that a 'bread crumb' feature may be a little different in that you can follow your trail 'out'.

Here is the 'track' that the GPS kept for the Mauricie trip:

All.jpg

I'd just get the spot. Set up the web based software, press the button. Your done. No laptop on the road required. But I nearly always bring mine. I'm geeky that way :D

I know I'm not being much help, but you might want to search on 'FireEagle' to help you in your search criteria.

I think most GPS's have a 'track' feature, but I also think that a 'bread crumb' feature may be a little different in that you can follow your trail 'out'.
Here is the 'track' that the GPS kept for the Mauricie trip:

All.jpg

I'd just get the spot. Set up the web based software, press the button. Your done. No laptop on the road required. But I nearly always bring mine. I'm geeky that way :D
well if most GPS's have that track feature, even though it's not realtime, that would serve my purposes. I wouldn't get any use out of a spot since I'm not a habitual long-hauler. This is all just in preparation of my Mtl-BC-Alaska-Mtl route I'm taking for my vacation this year, since that'll be a ~15000 km trip.

Hey, I'll stop by Sudbury on my way through and buy you a bottle of anything you want if you'll lend me your spot for 3 weeks, lol

...make it a case if we can swap my gen1 stock saddle for your gen1 Russ meyer for that 3 weeks too ;)

EDIT - or do the ride with me so I don't have to worry about gps OR Spot!

Spot is the way to go. I've been using mine for 3 years. Using the track feature in the Garmin would require you to download to the Mapquest software each day. Each time you shut the gps off (on my unit) a new track file is started and they overwrite in some case. As was stated earlier, with the Spot you push the button and forget it.

EDIT - or do the ride with me so I don't have to worry about gps OR Spot!
NOW your thinkin'! That ride is on my list of rides to do. I have the cash and the time.. it's just how mom is doing.

Oh ya, your limited by memory on the track function. When I dl'd the tracks from EOM 09 I only got from MA to TN to Home. The entire ride down rolled off. Most GPS's you can swap the SD card for more mem.. mine - nope (2820).

...make it a case if we can swap my gen1 stock saddle for your gen1 Russ meyer for that 3 weeks too ;)
Hey, maybe we can work out a deal for the seat. I've bee seriously thinking of going to a Russell and selling this Rick Mayer I have to offset the cost. How does $175 sound to you? The Seat is still in good shape. It just doesn't fit me well enough. I'm thinking it was made for somebody closer to 6' and over 165lbs :)

Hey, maybe we can work out a deal for the seat. I've bee seriously thinking of going to a Russell and selling this Rick Mayer I have to offset the cost. How does $175 sound to you? The Seat is still in good shape. It just doesn't fit me well enough. I'm thinking it was made for somebody closer to 6' and over 165lbs :)
Damn

I kinda wish I had've sat on it while we were in Mauricie. IIRC, you and I are exact same height & inseam. But I'm definitely over 165 :p

I'll email ya

you got a pic you could send me? (the seat)