Dealer and Fork Seals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I need the fork seals replaced on the FJR. Since I don't have the tools to do (and have never done it) I figured I would just take the forks to a dealer and have them do it. I called 3 different dealers in my area and 2 of them quoted me $220-$230. One of them quoted me $125. I called the $125 guy back and told him that the others quoted me over $200. He said "it does not take that long to change the seals". I'm all about saving some cash but I don't want it half ass done either. I have NO idea how much this job usually cost. I am only taking the forks in so all they have to do is take them apart and put in new seals. My question is what do you guys with this experience think of this situation???

Mine charges a flat $60 per leg for labor if you bring them in plus parts.

I just had the two done last week and it ran $220 with tax, parts and shop fees ($5).

The oil was the most expensive part at ~$22 per fork IIRC. Dust seals, gaskets, oil seals and the all important copper washer were replaced as well.

Just make sure they replace that little copper washer. If they dont and it gets bent or concaved in any way, the forks will start leaking again, sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe your $125 guy speaks the truth, but may be quoting labor only. I'd stick with oem seals, some of the aftermarket units are questionable.

IMHO, If you are going to go through the bother of pulling your forks off to have them worked on, make sure they do a complete service on them not just R&R the seals. If you've gone more than 15k they are due.

Brodie

My question is what do you guys with this experience think of this situation???
I'm not sure that there's a direct correlation between price and competence? Shop over-head may have a primary influence on the price?

I'd check around for verbal references from others and, maybe, ask for a breakdown of the total price. If one dealer is doing 'the full monty' / disassembling fully and cleaning -- it'll cost more than the one who's trying to save you money by cutting corners.

There are/can be special tools involved (to do it right and avoid potential damage).

What's the problem with your seals? They leaking? How many miles on the forks since last service?

$125 sounds pretty cheap to me. I'm all about a great deal, but I would wonder about that cheap price. My experience is $200-$300 is the norm assuming you remove and bring them the forks. I have received quotes even higher, towards $400.

Since you have a Gen II, and depending on how many miles you have since last fork service, there is an excellent chance you will need new bushings also.

Just took the forks in this evening and actually the total cost is about $200 Yes the left one was leaking alittle the right one was not "yet" but decided to get them both done. Yes they will be replacing the bushings if they need. Bike has around 20k miles and forks have never been serviced that I know of, so I guess its about time.

What's the problem with your seals? They leaking? How many miles on the forks since last service?
$125 sounds pretty cheap to me. I'm all about a great deal, but I would wonder about that cheap price. My experience is $200-$300 is the norm assuming you remove and bring them the forks. I have received quotes even higher, towards $400.

Since you have a Gen II, and depending on how many miles you have since last fork service, there is an excellent chance you will need new bushings also.

I need the fork seals replaced on the FJR. Since I don't have the tools to do (and have never done it) I figured I would just take the forks to a dealer and have them do it. I called 3 different dealers in my area and 2 of them quoted me $220-$230. One of them quoted me $125. I called the $125 guy back and told him that the others quoted me over $200. He said "it does not take that long to change the seals". I'm all about saving some cash but I don't want it half ass done either. I have NO idea how much this job usually cost. I am only taking the forks in so all they have to do is take them apart and put in new seals. My question is what do you guys with this experience think of this situation???
Mine fixed mine under my YES warranty

I don't understand this entire thread. Removing the forks is the hardest part. Changing the seals is no harder than removing the forks.

I would choose a place to do the work that has a good reputation first then consider the price second.

Changing the seals is no harder than removing the forks.
Really?

Where's your how-to thread with lots of piccies so us dumb-ass cretons and can do it to?

:fuck:
Agreed! Yes, changing JUST seals is extremely easy, and often just a fraction of the work that SHOULD be done. Lower fork bushings on Gen-II bikes are a high-wear-rate item. I can change fork seals in less than one hour. But if those forks have not been serviced recently (within the past couple thousand miles) I won't do just seals. You can take your work to somebody else and have it half-ass done.

FJR forks will last a very long time when properly maintained. It's a shame Yamaha does not include any realistic guidelines in the service intervals to cover the forks.

+1 on OEM seals too. Yami seals work and last. Pay the extra $$$.

Just my $.02

BTW, you're doing the right thing by asking questions IMHO.

how about on an 05. Is there much differance between gen1 and gen2 as far as the forks go? I bought a used 05 with 30k on it. Just had i a couple cold months now and noticed the forks leaking. I have no idea if they have ever had anything done to them. Should i take it in and have them rebuilt or can i just do the seals and be ok?

Really?

Where's your how-to thread with lots of piccies so us dumb-ass cretons and can do it to?

Agreed! Yes, changing JUST seals is extremely easy, and often just a fraction of the work that SHOULD be done. Lower fork bushings on Gen-II bikes are a high-wear-rate item. I can change fork seals in less than one hour. But if those forks have not been serviced recently (within the past couple thousand miles) I won't do just seals. You can take your work to somebody else and have it half-ass done.

FJR forks will last a very long time when properly maintained. It's a shame Yamaha does not include any realistic guidelines in the service intervals to cover the forks.

+1 on OEM seals too. Yami seals work and last. Pay the extra $$$.

Just my $.02

BTW, you're doing the right thing by asking questions IMHO.

Justin, if it were me, I'd get the full job done & then you know that your forks will be fine for 20,000 miles or longer. As you don't know the service history of your forks, they could let you down if you go for the cost cutting option.

I wouldn't be game to change my fork seals & bushings etc (no experience) but removing the forks is easy enough, without removing the fairing, so I have drained, flushed with cheaper fork oil & then refilled with good quality fork oil & my 2001 model has never leaked & she's up to 40,000 kms now. If you want to save some $'s, why not remove the forks yourself, drain out the old oil, flush them yourself with a suitable oil (Shell etc), & then re-drain them & take them to your dealer for the overhaul plus new quality oil. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Let us know which way you go.

Cheers, Ian.

Really?

You are too fuckin dumb to do it even if I gave you pics and did it all for you.
Well I would have attempted and would have been completely confident that I could have accomplished this task if I had some instructions with a few pictures. Since I have never rebuilt forks before and I don't even know what the inside looks like and don't have any type of press to press the bushings on I figured it would be a good idea to let a professional do it.

Well here is an update.... I just picked up my forks from the dealership. $215 got me new seals, new bushings, and new oil. Took them about a week to get all the parts in and service them. I can't wait to get her put back together and see how she rides. I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference but I will have no more leak.

Well here is an update.... I just picked up my forks from the dealership. $215 got me new seals, new bushings, and new oil. Took them about a week to get all the parts in and service them. I can't wait to get her put back together and see how she rides. I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference but I will have no more leak.
You did the right thing, and I'm willing to bet you will be able to tell at least some difference in the way it feels. At the very least, you helped prolong the life of the forks. Have them serviced with a fluid change AT LEAST every 20,000 miles or 2-years, whichever comes first. A straight-up fluid flush and refill is a simple procedure and only requires minor disassembly of the forks. That's a job you might consider tackling yourself next time.