FJ1300RT Reverse Trike Concept

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's done!

Er, I mean, since it will never be done, it's registered, insured and street legal!

Finished the headlights and the fender brackets and fenders.

fjr49.jpg

fjr50.jpg

It's all dusty in the photos because my shopmate was sanding Bondo.

Next up is a DOT glass windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome man congratulations on the completion!! Now we'll have to ride together some day... I think I'm headed to Sturgis this year with the trike and another guy who is just finishing his trike down in Colorado Springs. Maybe you could make it too if you're interested?

Awesome man congratulations on the completion!! Now we'll have to ride together some day... I think I'm headed to Sturgis this year with the trike and another guy who is just finishing his trike down in Colorado Springs. Maybe you could make it too if you're interested?
The wife and I are seriously considering NAFO in B.C. in June. Not a terribly long drive for you, either.

Clutch issues are back.

If I put it in first, and hold the clutch in, after about 30 seconds the car will start inching forward and then die. It's bleeding off clutch pressure. Possibilities?

1. Bad Master Cylinder

2. There is something to the gravity argument, with the bike clutch master cylinder being below the slave.

3. Bleeding issues still?

Other ideas?

Weird, if it helps diagnose the gravity issue; it has never happened to mine... Only other thing I could think of is maybe air in the line.

If you are not leaking anywhere it has to be losing pressure in the master or slave as in leaking around the seals. I wouldn't think it is air because it does work initialy.

Weight.

There's a weigh station a few miles from my house. It's seldom manned and the scales are usually on. After having the windshield installed, I drove over there.

Front axle: 800 lbs

Whole car: 1400 lbs

Rear axle: 600 lbs

That's with me in the car (~220lbs) and the scale goes in 50lb increments, so I figure the car weighs less than 1200 lbs (1/2 tank gas).

I didn't do corner weights or get out of the car as it was raining and a truck pulled up behind me wanting to use the scale.

I'm satisfied: Front-biased distribution with enough on the rear for some traction. 1200 lbs gives it a power to weight ratio of 8.3 lbs/hp.

Update: It's actually done! Oops, no, spoke too soon. I know it will never be done.

Got the windshield in, and made all necessary adjustments. Changed out the clutch master cylinder, which solved the bleed-down issue that I was experiencing. Added a smoke plexiglass wind blocker, mostly because the hot radiator and exhaust air was venting around the tank and being sucked directly into the passenger compartment.

Detailed it thoroughly for the first time, then took it to a car show. It Attracted a lot of attention, probably because most people had never seen anything like it before. The kids especially loved it.

fjr51.jpg

fjr52.jpg

fjr53.jpg

fjr54.jpg

fjr55.jpg

fjr56.jpg

Still no reverse, and no wipers. I'm contemplating whether or not I will ever add either of the two. The next thing will probably be an anti-roll bar in the front.

Nice man! Good to see you out and going now. I still have not put reverse on mine and I don't think I ever will. I don't think it's needed. You just have to keep in mind not to park nose down on an incline and your fine. always look for the "pull-through" parking in the parking lots. It's worked just fine for me so far. I've had mine in a couple car shows also, it's pretty cool all the attention it gets! Have fun with it!

Have driven about 3000 miles, including an overnight trip during the summer where the electric fan failed. Overheated and popped the top off the overflow bottle, spewing hot coolant everywhere. Had to wait until the weather dipped below 90 degrees to get home, with no fan and a cork for the lid on the overflow bottle.

No reverse, no wipers, no parking brake. No plans to add any of them, as I don't feel they are necessary.

Video Here!

Have driven about 3000 miles, including an overnight trip during the summer where the electric fan failed. Overheated and popped the top off the overflow bottle, spewing hot coolant everywhere. Had to wait until the weather dipped below 90 degrees to get home, with no fan and a cork for the lid on the overflow bottle.

No reverse, no wipers, no parking brake. No plans to add any of them, as I don't feel they are necessary.
That is so cool! Looks like a lot of fun. It cracks me up to hear that unique FJR sound coming from something that definitively doesn't look like an FJR. Thumbs up! :yahoo:

I know, old thread. Had to fix the photos once again.

Man, I really miss this thing. Sold it six years ago soon after starting my used car business.

Latest posts