City Side Cases Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesK

Got to ride
Reaction score
City Side Cases Project

Like many FJR owners I’ve never liked the “fat-ass” look Yamaha gave the FJR in some misguided and failed marketing gimmick. The bulging side case lids don’t even match the flat side lines of Yamaha’s own top case. Unfortunately, unlike the BMW replacement lids, Yamaha tries to get us to buy two complete saddle bags at ridiculously high prices and only makes these “City Side Cases” available in the UK, thus adding exchange rate and shipping premiums on top of the already outrageous prices, for what should be a simple and inexpensive pair of ABS plastic lids, ala BMW.

I happened to have a spare set of bags from an '06 FJR I had in Japan, where lane splitting/sharing is not only accepted/allowed, but is a way of life (so cool). I was never able to really use my side cases in Japan because of the “fat” lids but got used to having the extra space and carrying capacity offered by the saddle bags while here in the US. Given the prohibitive cost of buying the Yamaha City Side Cases, coupled with the futility of having to buy complete saddle bags just to get a flatter lid I hunted around to try to find someone who could convert my spare bags into City Side Cases. After contacting numerous people/companies and getting responses ranging from “we can’t do this”, “this won’t work” or being quoted ridiculous prices by people who did not inspire a great deal of confidence in their ability to do the job in the first place I finally stumbled onto a talented kit car builder, Mike Vetter, owner of The Car Factory based in Micco, FL who agreed to do the job for $350. Mike is a really great guy who’s not afraid (actually likes) a challenge as you can see by many of the kit car projects he works on.

Mike completed this project in only a few days and the price includes a tough, chip resistant black textured finish used by car makers for car grills and other exposed surfaces. This finish was my preference (since it matches my Givi box) vs. spending additional money on color matching the pain to my 2007A. IMHO this is the kind of finish Yamaha should have used for the saddle bags to begin with. So now no more worrying about scuffs/chips/scratches on the lids which as we all know are ever so vulnerable.

However, if you prefer painted, Mike can “fix” your “fat” side cases and leave them in primer, ready to paint in whatever color you require.

The side case lids are made out of ABS plastic, which typically does not “play” well with most materials, so Mike not only inserted a flat fiberglass section in the cut out part of the lid he also ran the fiberglass all the way to the edge of the lids, thus ensuring that the newly built lids are tough, rigid and have nice smooth rounded lines.

Also worth noting, if anyone desires to engage Mike’s services to convert their “fat” saddle bags to City Side Cases, he would only need you to ship him the lids, since he has already worked on my side cases and knows what’s involved. The lids are easily removed by drilling out 4 pop-rivets securing the lids to the hinges. This would save you a lot of money on the shipping costs.

Below are some pictures to show you what I’ve been yapping about and more are at this link

I am not affiliated with the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Side-by-side of the FJR rear

IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

LOVE IT! Great project - excellent work on sourcing the provider, too. I've heard of Mike through researching kit cars and read lots of good things about him. :)

Great post!!!

Very cool. Excellent farkle job and very unique.

I have to ask, does the interior volume remain the same? I ask because I can just barely fit my laptop at an angle (up) in my saddle bags. I'm wondering if this will now limit the depth within the cover.

Great post!!!
Very cool. Excellent farkle job and very unique.

I have to ask, does the interior volume remain the same? I ask because I can just barely fit my laptop at an angle (up) in my saddle bags. I'm wondering if this will now limit the depth within the cover.
As far as I know the idea behind the bulging lids was to enable you to fit a full face helmet in a side case (I've not done this in 4 yr that i've owned and FJR and don't intend to :) ). So i guess if you're currently depending on the extra little width the bulge in the lids provides than it might not. However, if the laptop fits inside the perimeter of the lid than since the laptop is flat it might still fit, since the only difference is the depth of the lids not the inside dimensions.

Nice job. But, I like my stock cases because I actually use the capacity when travelling. However, if you think these are fat, sit on a Connie 14 sometime!!!!!!!!

I don't see how the cases can be called a misguided marketing gimmick. It's sized specifically to be able to hold a helmet. I use mine to store my helmet everywhere I go when I'm not actually carrying cargo of some kind. My camera bad wouldn't fit the skinny case, either. They'd be useless to me without the big lids.

But if you need or want the skinny boxes, that's a good job of finding a way to get it done!

Can you swap out for the big lids if you need the space?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post!!!Very cool. Excellent farkle job and very unique.

As far as I know the idea behind the bulging lids was to enable you to fit a full face helmet in a side case (I've not done this in 4 yr that i've owned and FJR and don't intend to :) ). So i guess if you're currently depending on the extra little width the bulge in the lids provides than it might not. However, if the laptop fits inside the perimeter of the lid than since the laptop is flat it might still fit, since the only difference is the depth of the lids not the inside dimensions.
I use only the outside edges, so it might be ok. Thanks.

Paging Mr. JB, the lane splitting king, to the chip resistant black textured finish phone please.
These look nice, and if you prefer a slimmer look, then you're in business. I like the storage capacity of the stock ones myself, and also often store my helmet in one side or the other. From the perspective of commuting in California traffic, I don't find the stock bags to be a liability. It's the handlebars that act as my whiskers, and the bags just follow in behind. Although I have to admit I could get to the front of a traffic light on my HD Sportster in more cases than I can on the FJR, but again, it's a handlebar issue also. It's just a bigger bike.

...From the perspective of commuting in California traffic, I don't find the stock bags to be a liability. It's the handlebars that act as my whiskers, and the bags just follow in behind.

I thought the same until I caught a side case on the wheelwell mudguard of a bus that I was squeezing by. These would've been a clean miss.

Paging Mr. JB, the lane splitting king, to the chip resistant black textured finish phone please.
These look nice, and if you prefer a slimmer look, then you're in business. I like the storage capacity of the stock ones myself, and also often store my helmet in one side or the other. From the perspective of commuting in California traffic, I don't find the stock bags to be a liability. It's the handlebars that act as my whiskers, and the bags just follow in behind. Although I have to admit I could get to the front of a traffic light on my HD Sportster in more cases than I can on the FJR, but again, it's a handlebar issue also. It's just a bigger bike.
Well, exactly as Checkswrecks points out, the wider factory bags actually protrude out more than the max width of the handle bars. So you can't assume that you'll get through just because the front of the bike cleared the opening b/w the cages. And you really don't want to have to "give" any forward looking attention to your rear view mirrors to see if the "fat" bags are clearing... As you can see from one of the photos, the City Cases are only a touch wider than the passenger foot pegs and narrower than the stock GenII mirrors so you can be sure that the bags WILL clear any opening that the front of the bike got through. And of course, 1-2 inches less in a side case is not as bigger deal as it would be in a certain body part :rolleyes:

I too utilize, actually depend on the storage capacity of the bags however, in my soon to be riding local the stock bags would mean not being able to use the bags at all or be faced with being stuck behind lines of cages. Keep in mind that the space b/w lanes in Japan, Europe, etc is typically narrower than in California.

I don't see how the cases can be called a misguided marketing gimmick. It's sized specifically to be able to hold a helmet. I use mine to store my helmet everywhere I go when I'm not actually carrying cargo of some kind. My camera bad wouldn't fit the skinny case, either. They'd be useless to me without the big lids.
But if you need or want the skinny boxes, that's a good job of finding a way to get it done!

Can you swap out for the big lids if you need the space?
Of course to each his own, I secure my helmet with a Guardian lock or if i really had to can put it in the Givi topbox rather than trying to stuff it into the side cases...

If anyone plans on trying this project, I have a left side saddlebag lid which is badly scarred beyong repair if anyone wants it for this project. Sealing rim is still good. PM me... Taker pays shipping, Heidi

PS nice idea for someone looking for something like this.

Mike did a great job on those lids JamesK. I'm glad you found someone to do the job for you.

Though you don't have the OEM top case to see the total look, I could picture these "matching" the flat-sided top case better. I still don't understand why Yamaha didn't "bulge" the top case in a similar manner to the USA stock side cases - perhaps the size of that case is already pushing the base rack to it's limits (???).

Any idea what discount (if any) Mike would give to leave the lids in primer?

Mike did a great job on those lids JamesK. I'm glad you found someone to do the job for you.
Though you don't have the OEM top case to see the total look, I could picture these "matching" the flat-sided top case better. I still don't understand why Yamaha didn't "bulge" the top case in a similar manner to the USA stock side cases - perhaps the size of that case is already pushing the base rack to it's limits (???).

Any idea what discount (if any) Mike would give to leave the lids in primer?
If I remember correctly the price would be similar, but might be best to check with Mike directly.

The badly scarred left bag cover has been spoken for by RZ300. The shipping will cost him but the West Virginia gravel imbedded in the scars... FREE!

I knew I'd kept that top for some reason...

Last edited by a moderator: