What's a great little stablemate for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon Man

Reaction score
I bought my FJR as a replacement for a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S. I love my FJR, but it is just so much worse through the turns than the nighthawk was. I don't know if it's just plain weight, suspension, wheel size, whatever, but that little 450 pounder was a BLAST, I should not have sold it.

I am buying a house this spring, so I won't buy soon, but looking for thoughts and recommendations on a small stablemate. The FJR is my wife, but I need a girlfriend.

1. SV650 - Lots of people have them, but they are pretty low on HP
  2. Speed Triple - Lots of HP, plus my Dad owns a Triumph and out local dealer is AWESOME
  3. Monster - Wife is in love with the trellis frame, easy sell for her
  4. Hypermotard - The hooligan in me kind of wants to ride one these, with a throaty pipe
  5. Other comfortable sporty bikes?

When i look at price and comfort the SV keeps calling my name, but the power and sound of the triple with pipes could rock.

Oh yeah, something around 5k, gonna just pay cash. And I can't justify anything more on a second motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, a smallish dual-sport like a DRZ.

Or maybe a KLR.

Or maybe even a F650GS.

Oh to have an unlimited budget......

Or maybe a KLR.

Or maybe even a F650GS.

I have given that some thought too, but good dirt paths are a few hours away from me and my kids are age 5, 2, and one in the oven. So I only do 2-3 long rides a year and my shorter (4-5 hour rides) are with groups. Love the FJR for commuting and the long rides, hate it for the twisties. Maybe i should buy an SV and trailer it behind the FJR :) . Or put the money into FJR suspension upgrades?

Or maybe a KLR.

Or maybe even a F650GS.

I have given that some thought too, but good dirt paths are a few hours away from me and my kids are age 5, 2, and one in the oven. So I only do 2-3 long rides a year and my shorter (4-5 hour rides) are with groups. Love the FJR for commuting and the long rides, hate it for the twisties. Maybe i should buy an SV and trailer it behind the FJR :) . Or put the money into FJR suspension upgrades?
Hmm...

What about something like the FZ6, or FZ1?

Or Suzi's GSX-650F, or Kawi 650r.

Just throwing out some bike that have a decent mix of comfort and sport. Or do you want to be naked?

Or maybe a KLR.

Or maybe even a F650GS.

Hmm...

What about something like the FZ6, or FZ1?

Or Suzi's GSX-650F, or Kawi 650r.

Just throwing out some bike that have a decent mix of comfort and sport. Or do you want to be naked?
I have been Married too long to care about being naked that much.

Are fully faired bikes more expensive to insure? State farm was on the fence with the FJR being a sportbike or a touring bike.

I'd say find an SV650 and with the moolah you save update the suspension. Sure .. doesn't have a lot of ponies, but it doesn't weigh much either, especially if you get a 1st gen. IIRC 363 lbs dry. In my experience, the lower horsepower forced me to really learn how to corner, as I can't just twist the grip to exit at the speed I want, like on the VFR. That means I need to enter the corner faster, and carry the speed through the corner.

Full disclosure: Wife's bike (i.e. FJR's stablemate) is a 2001 SV650. This winter I added an Ohlin's shock and waiting for GP Suspension to finish up putting the GSXR guts into the stock forks.

I just got a drz400s fer ride'n around on all the dirt roads around here. They have a drz400sm hypermotard model that would be fun. Cheap to buy, low insurance & 60 or more mpg

The Triumphs are pretty good deal these days. Try a test ride on a T-Max ( yes a 500cc scooter) they are built with a lot of features on a SB and all over the EU, the UK in particular. A absolute blast to ride.

I bought my FJR as a replacement for a 1984 Honda Nighthawk S. I love my FJR, but it is just so much worse through the turns than the nighthawk was. I don't know if it's just plain weight, suspension, wheel size, whatever, but that little 450 pounder was a BLAST, I should not have sold it.
I am buying a house this spring, so I won't buy soon, but looking for thoughts and recommendations on a small stablemate. The FJR is my wife, but I need a girlfriend.

1. SV650 - Lots of people have them, but they are pretty low on HP
  2. Speed Triple - Lots of HP, plus my Dad owns a Triumph and out local dealer is AWESOME
  3. Monster - Wife is in love with the trellis frame, easy sell for her
  4. Hypermotard - The hooligan in me kind of wants to ride one these, with a throaty pipe
  5. Other comfortable sporty bikes?

When i look at price and comfort the SV keeps calling my name, but the power and sound of the triple with pipes could rock.

Oh yeah, something around 5k, gonna just pay cash. And I can't justify anything more on a second motorcycle.
I've got an '07 SV650 (Naked) in great shape I'm looking to sell (just replaced it with an FJR). Already has a Corbin seat, somewhere around 8500 miles, and the 8k service was just done. $3800. I'm told with a simple slip-on exhaust, it can really sing.

Go with the HYPER! I absolutely love the looks of this bike - I've been drooling over it since she came out. Can't justify getting a 2nd bike right now but if I could the Hypermotard would be the FJR's stablemate. Termi 2-1 exhaust sounds pretty sweet - out of your (and mine) price range though...

Check out the Kawasaki 650R. It has a similar riding position to the FJR so is comfortable to ride a bit longer than the average sport bike. At low RPM it's a sweet little pussy-cat but add some throttle and it bares its teeth. I loved mine and was sorry to part with it but the dirt roads were calling. Also recommend the BMWG650GS, which I have now. It makes a great street bike but will happily go off road too.

Go with the HYPER! I absolutely love the looks of this bike - I've been drooling over it since she came out. Can't justify getting a 2nd bike right now but if I could the Hypermotard would be the FJR's stablemate. Termi 2-1 exhaust sounds pretty sweet - out of your (and mine) price range though...
See, if I throw price out the window, I think this guy might have it. Plus our awesome local triumph dealer is ALSO a Duc dealer.

The used ones are getting kinda close to 5k, maybe by next year i can squirrel away some secret liras?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1639868372.html

Thanks for all the replies everyone, you guys are giving me lot's of new stuff to look at too.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZX-14 works for me...
...works for me too!

--G
It would work for me as well, but the wifey says no true sport-bikes until I pass the 30 mark. And here I thought getting neutered would be good enough?

Sounds like you want an SV1000. Used ones are easy to find for less thank 5k.
Have you ridden one? Are they still pretty flickable? One of the sportbike magazines did a great write up on both SV's and said the 1000 has a better suspension by far.

Probably not your cup o' joe, but I love my WeeStrom. Knobbies for light dirt work, flickable in the street, cheap to keep... meets lots of my needs.