Engine cuts out when throttle is turned

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epic

Reaction score
2010 with 600 miles. Conditions - Ignition turned on, engine warmed up to operating temperature, side stand up, 1st gear, throttle at idle. As soon as I turn throttle, engine cuts out. I can re-start it immediately but it cuts out as soon as you turn the throttle. This occurs intermittently and so far only after engine has been turned off, then re-started. No problem with engine cutting out once it goes through the range of gears. I solved the problem the first two times it occurred by engaging the clutch and shifting through the gears while not moving, then shifting back into first gear and the bike takes off like there is no problem.

Thought I could never duplicate the problem but when I took it to the dealer for the 600 mi. service today, it did it when the service manager tried to start it and move it. It also did it for the mechanic. So, the good news for me is that they no longer think I'm nuts. Bad news is that they don't know what the problem is. They will check with Yamaha next week but suggested it could be a quirk of the bike. I'm not buying that. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and can offer asolution. Please le tme know. Thanks.

When it stalls, do you have the clutch lever pulled in (starting to release it) ?

A faulty safety switch could be malfunctioning...

Or is it just stalling in neutral with the clutch out?

To the dealer you go!

Bad ECU connection

Bad Throttle Position Sensor

Bad sensor (and there are several)

Something is sending errant signals to the ECU so that the fuel isn't being sent to the injectors.

If it were a bad limit switch (clutch, sidestand,etc.) they normally won't let the bike start or run.

Please let us know what the end discovery is.

To the dealer you go!
Bad ECU connection

Bad Throttle Position Sensor

Bad sensor (and there are several)

Something is sending errant signals to the ECU so that the fuel isn't being sent to the injectors.

If it were a bad limit switch (clutch, sidestand,etc.) they normally won't let the bike start or run.

Please let us know what the end discovery is.
Thanks Madmike2. I'll report the outcome.

Check your idle speed. FJR's like it at about 1100rpm.
Thanks. Idle at about 1,000 rpm. Just checked it out and it did it in neutral with clutch out.
So is it fixed? I'd bump that idle up to 1,100 and see if that helps.
Not fixed yet. Haven't had a chance to ride much. Will post results when I know something more.
So are you going to try bumping that idle up to 1,100 rpm? I've had my bike stumble a little and it probably would have died if the idle was lower than the 1,100 I've got it set at. Adjustment is free (except for the little fuel required to get the bike up to operating temp), you've got nothing to lose and it might actually fix the problem and save yourself a trip to the dealer! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Idle at about 1,000 rpm. Just checked it out and it did it in neutral with clutch out.
Not fixed yet. Haven't had a chance to ride much. Will post results when I know something more.
So are you going to try bumping that idle up to 1,100 rpm? I've had my bike stumble a little and it probably would have died if the idle was lower than the 1,100 I've got it set at. Adjustment is free (except for the little fuel required to get the bike up to operating temp), you've got nothing to lose and it might actually fix the problem and save yourself a trip to the dealer! :yahoo:
I will try 1,100 rpm. Thanks. I'll post when I have something definitive.

I will try 1,100 rpm. Thanks. I'll post when I have something definitive.
I have had the same problem with my 09. I will be very curious with what you find out.

Good luck B)

Epic,

Just wondering if this is resolved yet for you?

I noticed similar issue on my 2010. Its going in for its 1000K service tomorrow and I'll mention it to mechanic. I just started to ease on the throttle from idle as opposed to twisting it quickly, but its quite annoying as none of my previous bikes ever did this (fuel injected or carburated)

Thanks

... It's going in for its 1000K service tomorrow...
One million miles in less than a year. That's got to be some kind of mileage record. :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry, it's not Friday yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
McRide and I will be in Bakersfield Monday Afternoon, if you want me to take a look let me know....

R