Need pictures of Skyway Hydration system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
I was wondering if one of you who has the Skyway Hydration system would be willing to take detailed pics and post them? I am trying to see if I can make one but i need to see the bracketry of what I'm trying to make...

Thanks in advance!!

:glare: <_< :unsure:

If a good design is no longer in production it is still his design

I was wondering if one of you who has the Skyway Hydration system would be willing to take detailed pics and post them? I am trying to see if I can make one but i need to see the bracketry of what I'm trying to make...
Thanks in advance!!

I think you misunderstand, I am not trying to steal a design and I absolutely will NOT be selling them, As you pointed out it is still HIS designs, this is purely because I want one for myself. I would have preferred to simply buy it as it's a complete PITA to make something like this, but since he isn't in business anymore (Phone numbers on his website are disconnected) I have to make something since that is the design I want (Unless I can find someone who has one they want to part with for a price :) )

:glare: <_< :unsure: If a good design is no longer in production it is still his design.
And your point is??? I have one and I certainly don't see a "Patent" stamp on it. What's he going to do, sue you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arent' there detailed pics still in the vendor section? Sorry, I don't have time to search through it myself. Also, you may want to ping ironmaiden and bigchiefstinkypants. They had a local welder fabricate their own similar system long before Skyway developed his. In fact for a bit of old hydration history, after seeing Tobie and Lisa's hydration system and wanting one, but lacking the skills or contacts, it was my insistent urging that Skyway made his system.

Does anyone remember who Skyway used to make up the insulated covers?
I dont' think he ever divulged that information. IIRC, he told me it was a local seamstress in his hometown of Sonora, CA, or somewhere nearby.

I have a spare one (used to belong to TWN) that I won't be using (at least this month) if somebody wanted to use it for a mock-up and to find somebody to make the bracket and do the sewing. I would think David at WynPro (kickstand-pad maker) could make the base. And it would be nice if it could also be made to work on a Honda ST-bike as I have friends riding them that would like one.

I went down to Wally World (I try not to shop there, and usually don't, but some things you just can't match or find elsewhere) and bought an oblong 1 gallon container that has an insulating cover already there for ~$8. This was back in the camping/cooler area.

I am going to/in the process of building a mount that will come off a little bit higher than the Skyway mount. I don't like losing the passenger peg as I put my feet back there sometimes especially doing LD runs.

I am mounting it off the upper attachment (2 bolts) where the passenger peg bracket/muffler mount is. Still working on it; I have a tendency to overthink things and make them too complicated which is how this project was going. Need to get back on it and have scrounged what I think is the aluminum for a simpler setup. I need it to be secure but also come out/reattach quickly with bungees or the like.

The peg mounted system is clean.

Another option is using some aerostitch saddlebags and run the strap across under the seat. As seen on the dirty bike on the left

P9030050-1.jpg

And I have storage on the other side

IMG_9587.jpg

pretty easy to move from bike to bike

Wow lots of replies,

The only reason I am willing to attempt to make one is that my aunt actually owns a business making motorcycle leather accessories so I can ask her to make the bag for me, and I'm sure I can get a local metal shop to make the base, but I need to see what I'm making...

Again I am not planning on selling anything, I just want one for myself... I thought about doing the Areostich bag system, but I really like the clean look of the skyway system....

I think I heard him say something about Mag's Bags at one point a long, long time ago. Either that or SOMEONE said something about Mags Bags making the insulated cover.

& I really, really like my hydration setup. Just recently I've started thinking of a way to mount the jug so that I don't give up the pillion position. Anyone have ideas about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not willing to sell mine McGyver, but I am willing to make some pictures for you with a ruler for reference if you want. It is sitting on a shelf in my garage. Let me know.

Here is a link to a thread I started that has a cheap and easy way to set up the drinking tube:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=105358&hl=

There is also a guy on ADVrider who custom sews cordura for the gummint and in his spare time does custom one-offs at reasonable prices and fast turnarounds. If you want the link let me know. I have one of his bags and it is first class.

Status
Not open for further replies.