Overview of Muzzy packing and sound restrictor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
There are a lot of ways that exhaust manufactures tame down the volume on their exhaust. Most of us in the ST arena want some taming to one extent or another. Even more so in the LD arena, in fact some rallies discriminate against loud exhaust.

I've seen a lot of questions and confusion on the forum as to how this is done -and when I recently went the Muzzy (Titanium) route, before the exhaust arrrived, I became confused too....even after some good mentoring by exskibum and some talking with the Muzzy folks --Uhh, well then I was even more confused. (Thanks a lot Rich :)

Also, no help are the literature or website --especially Muzzy, they don't document much at all on their silent cores.

....But it is one of those things that once you "see" it, it all makes sense.

So I've taken a few pics to help others, and really, while different ways to skin a cat, the fundamentals that the manufactures use to tame volume is pretty consistent.

MUZZY:

Here is the core of a standard Muzzy exhaust. This is not the quiet core, this is what is inside of an off-the-shelf muzzy exhaust:

100424MuzzyPack%20(0).JPG

Note: The fiberglass is wrapped in plastic, then rolled around the core, then taped to hold in place for ease of handling. the plastic and tape will burn off after installation -in short order I might add.

100424MuzzyPack%20(1).JPG

Here is what the bare core looks like, and this is consistent for the length of the core.

-----------------

Now, this (below) is the quiet core ...note the differences, this must be ordered from Muzzy, if you do it at the time of order, you can have them install it for you. I opted to not do that as I wanted both varieties to compare and perhaps modify

---

100424MuzzyPack%20(2).JPG

The wrapping will show the direction of the exhaust flow, important thing on the quiet core, makes no difference on the standard core.

100424MuzzyPack%20(3).JPG

And at the rear end of the silent core, there is an insert(baffle) that is spot welded in. It fits snug, then is tack-welded in place ..then it tapers down..

100424MuzzyPack%20(4).JPG

Hard to show in pictures, but you should be able to get the idea.

100424MuzzyPack%20(5).JPG

Here is the packing pulled back ...and you can see. Spot welds in circled in green. This silencer tapers down and in my case goes back 2inches. This length (with Muzzy exhaust) can be specified to your wants/needs. In fact, I'm pretty sure Muzzy builds these cores up as ordered.

100424MuzzyPack%20(6).JPG

Here is some brief info they place on the packing ...

SO, the question is: How do you know if you want the silent core? Well no one can answer that but you, but I think most folk that ride miles want the level tamed down a bit or a lot. It is very much a personal choice and you're not likely to get the answer on the internet by asking "how loud are they"

Then the next question you ask yourself: Do I want Muzzy to install the silent core pack at the factory?

Again it's up to you. I opted not to for a few reasons. I wanted t see both, I was a bit confused on how they did their silent core ..and I wanted to find out what was involved in swapping them out in case I wanted to go back and forth. So, I actually got the standard, then ordered two pair of the silent core so that I've got some flexibility, as well I can modify the third pair if I get crazy. I kinda doubt that will happen, but ya never know. Also, I've got plenty of packing material on hand, so I'm good for quite a while when the re-packing comes needs arise.

Anyway, -YES it is a bit of a chore to swap out the cores. Mind you my cores were all brand new and neatly wrapped as per the pictures, it would be more difficult once the plastic/tape is burnt away. The first one took me about 15minutes and only a few cuss words. Not bad -and after doing one I knew the next one would go faster. IT ONLY TOOK ME 45minutes and an army of cuss words. It truly is a wrestling match of sorts, especially when it comes time to put the end-cap back on. In other words, it's kind of a chore and while it can likely be perfected, it is one of those things that is just kinda ackward. at least with the Titanium cans.

Hindsight, I wish I would have taken some pictures to share.

so that is how Muzzy does it.

----------

============

No secret I'm fan of Staintune exhaust as they sound oh-so-groovy.

and here is how they do their silencing:

They have a baffle that fits in the end of the exhaust, it is then screwed in place with one set screw. It takes about 11seconds or less. So very easy to go back and forth, in fact, you can keep the baffles in your tank bag etc when you're not using them if you wish. A very efficient way for those who might want to go back and forth. But, they won't likely do a custom size for you like the Muzzy folks will ...but you could always trim down the baffle if ya wanted.

100424stntnrestrictor250.jpg

You'll see when it comes down to it ...what these two manufacturers do is similar as far as the baffle, but as far as end-use ease, there is quite a difference.

These two examples are good to show because IMO they are the two extremes of how it can be done. Because all quiet core or quiet baffles will be similar to one of these ...or fall somewhere in between the two.

==========

Leo Vince instruction on re-packing can be found here(clicky)

This is kinda related and might be helpful to folks. RossKeen posted up these instructions on a thread of his

Note that Leo Vince uses rivets, they also tame down the volume of their exhaust with the same methodology as Staintune.

==========

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks RenoJohn for your hard work and complete understandable write up, great information. The pics really help, I thought I could see where the Muzzy tapered down in the pic you provided. This write up one of the best things about fjrforum, people go out of there way to explain things in a clear way with lots of pics to help us newbies. I have never been involved with a site that has posted so many pics, keep up the good work guys, it is appreciated.

And NOW, except for the lack of pictures* in my lengthy descriptions, you KNOW I wasn't bullshitting you. :lol:

Like you, after much searching on the web, I talked to Muzzy reps on the phone, and NEVER got a good explanation of how their quiet core system was constructed or what was involved in putting it in. Pretty simple once you get it in hand, though.

Two tips that I gave John, but don't know if he used: (1) use a small ball peen hammer to gently flare the perforated metal core on both ends before inserting it -- makes fitting it onto the male tubes of the front and end cap MUCH easier; and (2) hold that titanium in an oval shape with padded bar clamps BEFORE you remove the end cap and it springs back to a cylindrical shape. Not a lot of clearance to work with, and you need the shaping help in the wrestling match.

Another tip that I used to minimize the wrestling match -- GET A FULL SYSTEM WITH ONLY ONE MUFFLER INTO WHICH YOU HAVE TO INSTALL A QUIET CORE!

:p

*Seems to me I took pics and maybe even posted them in a thread back in '07, or at least, maybe sent them to Ric-in-Sac before he did his system's can. I know I had a computer crash in between and lost those pics, but maybe I should search here to see if I ever posted them. Glad you posted those for future reference, RJ!

Thanks RenoJohn for your hard work and complete understandable write up, great information. The pics really help, I thought I could see where the Muzzy tapered down in the pic you provided. This write up one of the best things about fjrforum, people go out of there way to explain things in a clear way with lots of pics to help us newbies. I have never been involved with a site that has posted so many pics, keep up the good work guys, it is appreciated.
Gosh, nice words, but this contribution is typical of what one can expect from any of the Gen1 owners. It is the Gen2 galz that surprise ya when they come up with something.

And NOW, except for the lack of pictures* in my lengthy descriptions, you KNOW I wasn't bullshitting you. :lol:
Two tips that I gave John, but don't know if he used: (1) use a small ball peen hammer to gently flare the perforated metal core on both ends before inserting it -- makes fitting it onto the male tubes of the front and end cap MUCH easier; and (2) hold that titanium in an oval shape with padded bar clamps BEFORE you remove the end cap and it springs back to a cylindrical shape.

Another tip that I used to minimize the wrestling match -- GET A FULL SYSTEM WITH ONLY ONE MUFFLER INTO WHICH YOU HAVE TO INSTALL A QUIET CORE!
Yes, it is something that certainly makes more sense with the item in-hand, Perhaps pics will help fulks.

Great tips Rich. I didn't use either, but probably should have. I got spoiled when the first one went rather smooth, but man-0-man, the second one was a major chore, Then once I got it, my holes were not lined up -off by about a 1/16 ..and time to start over LOL

Let me tell you, it was an old-skewl wrastlin' match.

Yes, the full system (4into1) would cut in half the dama!!! something all should consider!!

Two tips that I gave John, but don't know if he used: (1) use a small ball peen hammer to gently flare the perforated metal core on both ends before inserting it -- makes fitting it onto the male tubes of the front and end cap MUCH easier; and (2) hold that titanium in an oval shape with padded bar clamps BEFORE you remove the end cap and it springs back to a cylindrical shape.
Great tips Rich. I didn't use either, but probably should have. I got spoiled when the first one went rather smooth, but man-0-man, the second one was a major chore, Then once I got it, my holes were not lined up -off by about a 1/16 ..and time to start over LOL

Let me tell you, it was an old-skewl wrastlin' match.
EXACTLY! I failed to tell you that was where it would bite you -- the damn holes just barely off, but NOTHING you can do to rotate that dang Ti sleeve even that much with so little tolerance with which to work.

Glad you got it on just the second try, and those pics will be a big help to anyone wondering about what this quiet core thing is and how it goes together. Muzzy must confuse just about everyone who asks that hasn't seen it before.

Thank you for the pictures RJ. When I bought my Muzzy full system a few years back I installed it with the normal Muzzy core and found it to be very, very loud. This is the system with a single muffler. The core in mine looks exactly like the one in your pictures.

So, I called Muzzy and had them send me a quiet core. I don't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't a lot. The 'quiet core' I received was exactly the same as the original core I already had, so I assumed that I already had the quiet core and that Muzzy was not going to help me quiet my muffler down. After a few attempts at packing I found some very good dense packing that is more lite a mat than a bag of loose fibers. I packed my core tightly with that stuff and it helped a lot, but still not as quiet as I would like.

Now that I have seen a picture of what the quiet core is supposed to look like I know that neither of the cores I have are 'quiet cores'. If I can quiet my Muzzy down some I'll like it a whole lot more.

Geezer, the quiet core is different from the regular core, but the only difference is that it has a restrictor in the back part of the core. I don't like LOUD, and the quiet core is just right to me -- I've had it in my 4-2-1 system since May 2007.

Thank you for the pictures RJ. When I bought my Muzzy full system a few years back I installed it with the normal Muzzy core and found it to be very, very loud. This is the system with a single muffler. The core in mine looks exactly like the one in your pictures.
So, I called Muzzy and had them send me a quiet core. I don't remember how much I paid, but it wasn't a lot. The 'quiet core' I received was exactly the same as the original core I already had, so I assumed that I already had the quiet core and that Muzzy was not going to help me quiet my muffler down. After a few attempts at packing I found some very good dense packing that is more lite a mat than a bag of loose fibers. I packed my core tightly with that stuff and it helped a lot, but still not as quiet as I would like.

Not that I have seen a picture of what the quiet core is supposed to look like I know that neither of the cores I have are 'quiet cores'. If I can quiet my Muzzy down some I'll like it a whole lot more.
I don't think there is any doubt that that the insert (what I refer to as a baffle) is the primary ingredient affecting the volume level. And that is consistent with all manuf's that I've seen. Muzzy has their own unique way of doing it, a way that has some pluses and minuses. Where I feel they fail is in describing what they do, and being consistent or even accurate when you ask them on the phone!! That is why I felt these pics might help, and in your case I'm glad that they do.

When you talk to them about the "silent core". You might see if you can gain an understanding of how the length of the baffle affects sounds. For example, mine or are 2inches, but they can/will tailor that, obviously longer would be quieter.

Also, when I lay my standardard cores with packing next to the "silent core" (which has the baffle). Uhh, I think the packing material may indeed be different. I thought this from the get-go, but didn't take the time to really attempt to differentiate the two, as generically speaking they're very similar, perhaps even identical. I'd be really curious if they use a different packing material when they're doing a silent core??

It'll be interesting to see what you find out ....and please do share.

BTW: while it is easy to be frustrated with the muzzy folks, after seeing how they do things, it easier to understand their logic ..and one thing that is nice:

....You certainly do have a lot of flexibility to customize/tailor the exhaust volume to your liking --without visible inserts sticking out of the tailpipe (ie staintune etc). But as you are finding out, it takes some work on the customer's end to figure out what all that great flexibility is :-(

My Leo Vince SBK aluminum ovals use a system similar to the Staintunes. An insert with a single setscrew for "quiet" mode. I haven't taken them apart yet to repack and I must say I'm not looking forward to it. The end caps on the LVs are riveted on. You have to drill out the rivets and re-rivet after repacking. I hope I get more than the 20,000 miles out of them that LV says is typical for a two muffler system. I would like to find an alternative to rivets but unfortunately, sheet metals screws would likely lose their bite after awhile and I doubt I could permanently attach SS nuts to the inside (sleeves are aluminum).

How are the endcaps attached for the Muzzy's?

Ross

How are the endcaps attached for the Muzzy's?
100426MuzzzyScrew.jpg

Four hex screws. Sometime ski-bump will document the whole drama with taking an end cap off. It is kind of an obscure art as the can's shape is not naturally oval and once you break the silicon and extremely tight fit, -and eventually get the cap off. Well then the can itself goes to it's naural un-oval shape. So getting the end cap back on is "interesting fun".

Ross, I think I'm going to steel those LV instructions from your post and also make them available here -they are a nice write up, and something that others, including Muzzy doesn't offer.

==========

Leo Vince instruction on re-packing can be found here(clicky)

This is kinda related and might be helpful to folks. RossKeen posted up these instructions on a thread of his

Note that Leo Vince uses rivets, they also tame the volume of their exhaust with the same methodology as Staintune.

==========

I'm going to bump this as it is a good write up. I also have the Muzzy full system. I will share my experience and review below after having the system for a year.

I ordered it up and installed with standard core, but also ordered the silent core should I wish to install. They will install it for more $$, but then I don't get the standard core - booo.

Anyways, standard core sounded great but way too loud on the highway. It droned. Annoying, even for me still being a 20 something. I installed the quiet core setup and it is ideal. Probably reduced the volume by nearly 50% but still has all the character. Quiet on the highway and cruising. No performance difference. The quiet core does not reduce flow, but rather the baffle simply acts as a traditional muffler and bounces the sound waves back and forth in the can resulting in them canceling themselves out to a degree.

I'm glad someone else understand the wrestling that goes into putting the endcap back on. It is not easy to do yourself. The main can does not want to go back to oval shape. I ended up kneeling on it while aligning the endcap back on, and then it was ok. Probably took me an hour, despite it looking like a very simple and straightforward design.

Love the Muzzy system. I ordered mine in Feb 2010 and no scrapping issue. I touch pegs before anything else. Bike runs much cooler due to no cats, but I never had an issue with the heat unless it was above 95 degrees

After seeing this thread resurrected I was reminded of the issue with my Muzzy and the quiet core. I did finally get a quiet core for my round aluminum Muzzy muffler. It is quieter than the regular core but still loud enough that some folks don't like to ride behind me. I'm going to add some packing this season and see if it helps.

The end caps on my round Muzzy are riveted on. I have had them off many times and the rivets are easy to drill out and replace. I use aluminum rivets so they don't wear into the aluminum casing, but they do loosen up and have to be replaced periodically.