Are there standard hand signals from one rider to another?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPete

Reaction score
Hello,

I see motorcyclists wave to each other on a regular basis, so I am wondering if there are some standard hand signals which can be used. For example, are there hand signals for "your high beams are on" or "police in the area", etc.

Only serious replies, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Open hand to the side of the helmet (like an antler)=Deer sighted ahead.

Deer also=Our version of suicide bombers.

How about a "foot" signal?! For debris or other "hazards" on the road I like to use the appropriate foot to signal to following riders of a hazard.

Feel this is safer than taking my hands off the bars to point down to it, especially going into a corner.

How about a "foot" signal?! For debris or other "hazards" on the road I like to use the appropriate foot to signal to following riders of a hazard.
Feel this is safer than taking my hands off the bars to point down to it, especially going into a corner.

Yep it is used however most recommend that you pay attention to what you are doing and steer around it, if the rider behind is keeping the proper distance they should be able to manuver around it as well.

I still like to give the signal though

Only serious replies, please!
HAHA! That's funny. New here, huh?

:D
That's what I was thinking. We wouldn't want a whole thread of seriousness.

I am glad at least one person mentioned the important one.

BCP039-46.jpg

"Mrs. Rottie, when the tomato boat is in"

Ther needs to be one more for cop. That is pat the top of head and point up ward to sky for that ever loving airplane flying overhead. what do you think?

And how about a cop with a radar trying to pin you for a ticket and help the states coffers?? Need someone to post what they think it would look like..........

weekend rider

same for either turn signal -

hold hand out - left -

4 fingers together - pinching to the thumb - like making a shadow puppet duck. Means a turn signal is on. You should be able to figure out which one.

amazingly - this signal seems to work for cars and trucks, too. Not sure if it is a bike signal or universal, but people seem to be able to inherently know this one.

I guess if it blinks like a duck... it must be a tern signal (sorry)

Several times I've given the cop warning-and gotten the universal IQ indicator signal in return. When given to a non-lid wearing participant in our sport, it's apparently taken as a "where's yours?" signal rather than it's intended purpose. Oh, and one I use, don't know if it's official or not, but thumb and fingers in shape of mouth talking-much like chickeys post mentioned-used on cell phone morons who would rather yak than pay attention to the world around them. This also garners plenty of the aforementioned IQ indicators. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by a moderator: