Riding Alps August 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockabill

Reaction score
I will be heading over to ride all around the alps in July/August. I will be hanging out with some old friends in Grindelwald SUI for a week starting on July 25th and then I plan on heading out around August 2nd to explore the great alpine roads for the next week. I have started to gather some information about the rides/roads I will try to cover, but I could sure use some help in trying to plan the best routes. Any suggestions? Also, Is there anyone that will be in the area during that time that would like to meet up and ride? Or just meet up and have a beer?

Bill

Sounds like a good time. Hope you are doing some hiking before leaving the Berner-Oberland. It's too nice not to.

There is actually a book of motorcycle rides through the Alps. "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps" by John Hermann. It's mostly routes and descriptions, but also includes overviews on what to expect in the way of weather, local riders, etc. I have a copy and recommend it - with the caveat that I've not actually used it to plan a moto journey through the Alps. Can't go wrong at the price of a book.

Sounds like a good time. Hope you are doing some hiking before leaving the Berner-Oberland. It's too nice not to.
There is actually a book of motorcycle rides through the Alps. "Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps" by John Hermann. It's mostly routes and descriptions, but also includes overviews on what to expect in the way of weather, local riders, etc. I have a copy and recommend it - with the caveat that I've not actually used it to plan a moto journey through the Alps. Can't go wrong at the price of a book.
Thanks jcyuhn, that looks like a great book, I just ordered it! I will definitely by doing a lot of hiking while I am there. I have stayed in Lauterbrunen and Wengen in past trips, and I am always amazed by the terrific hiking oppertunities in the area. This is the first time I will be riding through the area, so that will be a new experience that I am looking forward to.

+1 on John Hermann's book. He indicates in the book that Andermatt, which is just a little east of Grindelwald where you will be staying, is a great small town to use as a base and do day rides. I really enjoyed the town, roads, and mountain passes around there last trip.

I will be going back again in Sept. to ride Switzerland, France, + Italy, and I look forward to staying at Andermatt. There are so many good roads and passes, but Stelvio pass in n. Italy is incredible. Can't wait. Passport, plane ticket, and bike rental are set.

Enjoy JR

+1 on John Hermann's book. He indicates in the book that Andermatt, which is just a little east of Grindelwald where you will be staying, is a great small town to use as a base and do day rides. I really enjoyed the town, roads, and mountain passes around there last trip.
I will be going back again in Sept. to ride Switzerland, France, + Italy, and I look forward to staying at Andermatt. There are so many good roads and passes, but Stelvio pass in n. Italy is incredible. Can't wait. Passport, plane ticket, and bike rental are set.

Enjoy JR
Go to AlpineRoads.com for all sorts of info. And join their forum as well.

Thanks for the responses. Anyone going to be in the area during that time that would like to meet up?

Heck, this is like saying "I'm going to the ice cream store, think that there's anything that tastes great there?"

If you get tired of the big mountains or want to warm up a bit, it's just a matter of which way the weather map says is dryest. That's actually not much of a stretch. Pick a goal a day and maybe...

Northwest around Frederichshafen and the southwest corner of Germany, or...

Southwest and into the French Alps and then the Pyrenees.

Or, if it's not too hot there this year (last year was a beast)...

Head south down the spine of Italy, or...

Southeast toward Prague and then along the coast to Athens,

or...

Heck, this is like saying "I'm going to the ice cream store, think that there's anything that tastes great there?"
If you get tired of the big mountains or want to warm up a bit, it's just a matter of which way the weather map says is dryest. That's actually not much of a stretch. Pick a goal a day and maybe...

Northwest around Frederichshafen and the southwest corner of Germany, or...

Southwest and into the French Alps and then the Pyrenees.

Or, if it's not too hot there this year (last year was a beast)...

Head south down the spine of Italy, or...

Southeast toward Prague and then along the coast to Athens,

or...
Yes, I want to do that! :eek:mg2: .......and mmmmm ice cream :hyper:

OK, OK, I got the John Hermann book and I am mapping out the passes that I want to ride and starting to narrow the trip down, but I am also leaving plenty of room to change things up on the run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a copy of S&T's Autoroute also. It's the Euro version of Streets and Trips and seems to be really good.

Two places we visited were the Schilthorn resturant (From the James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service) which has stunning views Schilthorn

and someplace that has a giant river flowing thru the middle of the mountain. The name escapes me right now but I'll check with wifey tonight. OK, just found it, about half way down the page. A must see!

TRÜMMELBACHFÄLLE

Speaking from experience...

Panorama Pass - ride to Axalp and stay there... normally a ski resort so very quiet there during the off season and the staff treats you like royalty!

Panorama Pass (even prettier when you're there!)

525754366_E8Mdy-L.jpg

View on the way up to Axalp

525763936_eyd4Z-L.jpg

Road up to Axalp

525763522_4YrFT-L.jpg

Axalp

525757507_tKjxB-L.jpg

525758797_MMkCM-L.jpg

Sunset at Axalp

525762085_pwJFp-L.jpg

525762000_ni3zb-L.jpg

Grimsel Pass

525768591_KarnH-L.jpg

Furka Pass - yes, that's really the road!!

525770883_DagtC-L.jpg

For a tourist day off, check out Milan and see the Duomo there... absolutely gobsmacking (got that term from a Brit friend of mine)!

525785555_pSEKy-L.jpg

Stelvio Pass - you can see it zig zagging up the mountain

525799517_bABhH-L.jpg

525801499_Ap447-L.jpg

525800644_7qjSo-L.jpg

This gives you an idea of what the switchbacks are like...

525841558_vMphA-L.jpg

Umbrail Pass (we had to detour to this one because the other side of Stelvio was closed due to rock slides - about 7 miles of hard pack dirt in the middle then smooth and creamy!)

525807398_EqipC-L.jpg

525806402_z9pAT-L.jpg

Rush hour on Umbrail... we got stuck behind a tour bus when the car coming up the other way wouldn't move over to let it pass - we managed to squeeze through while they worked it out!

525807190_E9tiw-L.jpg

Timmelsjoch Passo Rombo (Italy)

525822118_ybDGB-L.jpg

525822694_CiMmt-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyler -

I don't believe any of your photos. They all must've been PhotoChopped to remove the Dutch cars towing camper trailers.

B)

That or it was just after sunrise before the campers are moving.

Seriously, you mentioned one of the things I've done, and that's to just take a map of where the ski resorts are.

Just follow your nose, as it's hard to go too far wrong in any of those areas and if you poke you'll find the little villages that make it memorable.

Thanks for the great information and the amazing pictures from Tyler. I have just about everything planned out now, and I can't wait to get going. I will take lots of pictures and post a ride report when I get back.

Just got back on Sunday and had a great trip except for waaay too much rain. I will cobble together my pictures and put up a ride report sometime in the next week.