Another WFO Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Well, WFO was a big success, as you've heard already. COOL, for one thing. Beautifully cool. But you go a few miles inland. . .

So I stuck to the coastal rides, and here are a few shots. The first day I joined in on a ride to the "Lost Coast." I decided it's called that because it's always lost . . . in the FOG. Been up there twice and heavy fog both times, summer and winter. You get to Ferndale and the road up to the coast looks like somebody's driveway--no joke. A long, twisty, narrow climb gets you to the emptiest roads on the whole west coast (I'll bet). Lots of holes and patches, some gravel, and some beautiful scenery. When you can see it.

This is JayH with the fog bank ahead

IMG_0736.jpg

Descending into the Fog. You could feel the temperature drop 10 or 15 degrees as you entered it. A very welcome drop.

IMG_0738-1.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

Following the Bluestreeks

IMG_0742.jpg

We passed through the fog and got underneath it as we came down to the water

IMG_0746.jpg

Then it was back up. And more Fog

IMG_0752.jpg

At Honeydew we split up. Some chose the gravel road to Shelter Cove. We took Mattole Rd. and climbed up toward Humboldt Redwoods State Park and the "Avenue of the Giants."

IMG_0757.jpg

We climbed out of the Fog up to the Park. And back into the Heat.

IMG_0761.jpg

We had to stop and admire the trees. Steve (Recreate), Jerry (Jer) and Jay (JayH). And, um . . . her.

IMG_0762.jpg

Saturday, local guy Far West Fast Eddie led a "backroads" ride out of Eureka and Arcata, then up 101 almost to Crescent City. Also nice and cool and foggy. We visited Paul and Babe too, but the battery on my camera went out. Just as well.

We started out by visiting the Carson Mansion, a amazing old Victorian, but it's a private club that can only be seen from outside. You can see a pretty good photo tour here, though, the website of the club that owns it.

IMG_0787.jpg

Nice formation heading out of town

IMG_0789.jpg

And through some scenic back roads before we jumped back on 101

IMG_0790.jpg

Back at the hotel, a much-needed glamour shot to change the pace of this report.

Tyler and Terri:

IMG_0809.jpg

I asked DougC what the story behind his extra passenger was. Seems his granddaughter couldn't make the trip, so she sent her dolly along to represent.

IMG_0811.jpg

Now for the mysterious reference in the title. For anyone who may think the government doesn't operate efficiently--and thoroughly--here in California, I think this will set you straight (helps if you squint a little). We have agencies that regulate everything. For some reason, I thought Bustanut would be particularly impressed by this.

IMG_0785.jpg

Great RR SacMike! I did not run the roads you did so it was nice to see them here!

Nice pics an write up Mike. This picture does intrigue me though...

Why are they so worried about washed Anus? You folks store food with them?

*shudder* I just remembered the Los Robustos camp out pics.. Johnny 80's and the Sheep sausage... :blink:

:jester:

Those "wash your hands" signs are in every restroom that is in a building that serves food, at least in Oregon and Washington.

Very nice RR Mikey. Riding up and down through the cloud layer looks like it must have been fun. Magical, almost. Your left coast roads have a grand allure to them for this Northeasterner...

Someday soon. :rolleyes:

I was wondering what the was up with that! Much better story than I was fearing... ;)

Great pics, Mike, and as always, lovely to see you!! B)

I asked DougC what the story behind his extra passenger was. Seems his granddaughter couldn't make the trip, so she sent her dolly along to represent.
IMG_0811.jpg

Your pictures of the lost coast reminded me of my first ride to California in 2005 on my FJR. I lucked out that there was no fog. But I did have to deal with logging trucks. Your pictures brought back great memories. Wish I could have been there.

Nice write up SacMike - that is definitely some beautiful country. It was good to see you again. You should still try to make it up to Vancouver Island in September....

J

Nice write up SacMike - that is definitely some beautiful country. It was good to see you again. You should still try to make it up to Vancouver Island in September....
J
I agree jay, it was a nice writeup and we had a great ride. Terri and I really enjoyed meeting and visiting with you and hope to see you again in the future.

Jer

Nice report and pics SacMike. Cool is always good for a ride...especially when a 40 degree temperature difference awaits at the coast range.

Great seeing you again!

--G

Status
Not open for further replies.