Yet Another View - WFO 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had the good fortune to be able to attend this year’s WFO in Eureka and got to meet some of the fine folks that I have only known vicariously via the neenernet as well as see some that I have already had the pleasure of meeting. I decided to take the car as I just didn’t feel I was up to that long of a trip in such a short amount of time plus dealing with 90+ degree heat along the way!

Jetting up 101, it was a pretty painless drive other than some traffic in the bustling town of Willits.

947295141_SPfgX-L.jpg

Hmmm… maybe next time.

947294616_gGssu-L.jpg

101 north from there is just lovely… four-lane highway, open road, nice sweepers, and gorgeous scenery! I decided to travel along Avenue of the Giants for a bit as the smell of those redwoods and the grandeur of those trees just puts me in a good mood. I took the first exit and came across this interesting wood carving in Miranda… ya just never know what you’re gonna find in those little towns along the way…

947296289_mXDkh-L-1.jpg

And then it was into the redwoods… I was surprised at how hot it was in the shade of those giants… opening the car door was akin to opening an oven door!

947297166_hVewr-L.jpg

949442492_znEnm-XL-1.jpg

The road winds its way through the redwoods and then has sections that break out into bright sunshine and views of the Eel River…

947299453_cgDPM-L-1.jpg

I heard whooping and hollering coming from down on the river and saw a bunch of folks floating down the river in rafts… seemed like a good idea!

947305418_QkKLa-L.jpg

I arrived in Eureka and found some folks loitering in the parking lot… I even knew some of them! FarWestFastEddie was one of the first to greet me and said he had a little something for me… I’m not sure why this particular item made him think of me but Brian seemed to like it…

947305879_jF7hq-L.jpg

I’ve heard the term “In your ear!” but Brian took it literally…

947306261_zNxJ2-L.jpg

I checked in and got my stuff up to the room… the hallway kind of reminded me of something from “The Shining”… creepy…

947306670_Dq47E-L.jpg

And then it was off to socialize before dinner… JB gave me his best GQ/Sears catalog pose…

947307310_LDwnV-L.jpg

And I got to meet the infamous Dolly… we would have more interactions over the weekend… she seemed a good enough sort…

947307741_JvMLU-L.jpg

But I wasn’t so sure about the people she was hanging out with… seemed they were setting a bad example and leading her astray….

947308369_ub9mj-L.jpg

947309048_UsGDP-L.jpg

Now I was really worried for her…

947311782_4RHQa-L-1.jpg

Dinner time!

947310380_4ngu7-L.jpg

And the Happy Gnome made another appEARance…

947309419_kuV6Y-L.jpg

At first he was riveted with JB’s presentation and paid no heed to anyone around him…

947310880_h4djC-L.jpg

But then when Joe/MCML kindly shared some of his libations with me, he was all over it… so to speak…

947311319_exyBF-L.jpg

We got kicked out of the dining area around 9 p.m. so headed out to the parking lot to chit chat some more. Most folks were pretty tired out from all their traversing around so it got pretty quiet by 10 p.m… buncha old pharts.

But wait... there's more!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know that had a Shakespeare company in Willits. Don, Shauna, and I met a fellow along the Mendocino coast who should send in his resume.

Thanks for the report, Tyler. It was great to see you in Eureka.

We got kicked out of the dining area around 9 p.m. so headed out to the parking lot to chit chat some more. Most folks were pretty tired out from all their traversing around so it got pretty quiet by 10 p.m… buncha old pharts.

Next morning dawned with the parking lot and bikes covered in fog and mist….

947312664_xghyu-L.jpg

I joined in for breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse and found that Dolly is a girl after my own heart when it comes to that all important cuppa Joe first thing in the morning…

947313052_AMrDc-L.jpg

Some folks had arrived earlier than we did and were already chowing down – the food was plentiful, the service was a hoot, and the company was entertaining…

947313576_yECV9-L.jpg

Yummmmm….

947315093_Zghmr-L.jpg

I tried to get a photo of our waitress but, man, she moved FAST! This was the best I could do…

947315650_MvgEN-L.jpg

MadMike even got into the act and poured coffee…

947316128_p8zBf-L.jpg

Shauna, dcarver, and Dustin, LongRyder’s grandson

947316677_gfpnK-L.jpg

Um, Louis? What’d you say???

947317311_x6T7g-L.jpg

The other side of the restaurant had some interesting artifacts… Don made some comment about women in the kitchen… this picture was taken just before he got hit upside the head with a frying pan…

947317950_hoxZv-L.jpg

Hey Don… what was this again?? :D

947318903_Kh7Ao-L.jpg

Logging toys…

947319552_srcTc-L.jpg

Gives you an idea how big some of those trees really were… there are about 14 men standing inside the cut in the trunk of that tree!

947320527_uVvAh-L-1.jpg

A little postcard humor…

947320044_hkYok-L.jpg

Yes, Don... there IS more! B)

And then it was back to the hotel where I would have the pleasure of riding pillion with Michael/ShinyPartsUp. We ran into Old Michael in the parking lot…

“Um, Shiny, other than that bright ass jacket that’s pretty much blinding me, I just had the distinct feeling of being stalked…”

947321481_eN8rA-L.jpg

“What? What is it? What are you looking at??”

947322516_WKMRG-L.jpg

The Hycles heading out… Michael seemed to have some sort of neck issue going on….

947323856_WRb7x-L.jpg

And then it was time to hop on the back with Michael… when I first asked him if we would be having me as a pillion, I knew he was a little bit nervous… he checked to make sure I was comfortable about every 20 seconds until I told him to relax and just enjoy the ride… and he did!

947378429_c9VrZ-L.jpg

We had originally planned to join Eddie with his local tour but somehow signals got mixed and we found ourselves solo in the parking lot… not to worry as Michael had an idea for a little jaunt off of 299 and, given I had never been on those roads, I was totally up for it! Turned out to be one helluva good decision!

Route was Blue Lake Rd. to Korbel to Maple Creek to Butler Valley Rd. to Kneeland and then just follow the signs back to Eureka… or something like that! 

Thank gawd I had sunglasses cause the glow from that jacket was quite bright!

947324916_TWtnb-L.jpg

About the 2nd exit off of 299 takes you onto Blue Lake Rd., a beautiful country road that eventually takes you to the top of Bald Mountain and back down into Eureka… a whopping 53.3 miles in 4 hours and it was perfect!

Got wood? :D

947325320_yUjDx-L.jpg

We came across this cool little bridge and Michael seemed to read my mind… photo opp!!!

947325981_tvyH9-L.jpg

947326663_SYRQG-L.jpg

947327196_UCYjh-L.jpg

And then we were off into infinity… and BEYOND! The scenery was absolutely stupendous… from open wide vistas and valleys to deep shaded forest with ferns and wildflowers lining the roads… dappled sunlight streaming through the trees… it was like something out of another world…

947328221_s4Z7n-L.jpg

947329192_axF4d-L-1.jpg

We came around a bend and were smacked in the face with an amazing view pretty much every direction we looked… barns, open meadows, acres galore of trees, and a good place to stop and de-layer since it had warmed up quite quickly…

947330298_RtENM-L.jpg

949442525_rvB3y-L.jpg

Barbed wire shot…

947330873_uMv63-L.jpg

While we had at first been disappointed to miss Eddie’s group, Michael and I agreed that we thought it resulted in a great trip where no one else had been on this weekend so we’d have pics no one else would! Like this one… :D

947340632_TuWgg-L.jpg

Dolly and I decided to avert our view elsewhere… I think she enjoyed the quiet and solitude of the great outdoors and getting away from all the debauchery and mayhem…

947339892_RuUp7-L.jpg

A little while later we came across the first patch of hard-packed dirt & gravel… Michael asked if I wanted to turn back but I figured it would probably go paved again shortly… and it did… but then back and forth between the two for several miles… made for an exciting time (probably more for Michael than me… I just sat still on the back!).

947346012_XqSZE-L.jpg

Watch out for locals in big ass pick up trucks barreling around the corners…

947346753_xg5DR-L.jpg

Dappled rays and the golden glow from the sun… oh wait, that’s just Michael’s jacket again.

947347324_zdeTH-L.jpg

Bridge! I tried to get a pic of the stream that was running beneath it but the lighting was too off kilter to get a good shot… but it sure was nice to gaze at and listen to the gurgling waters…

947349505_QCFP2-L.jpg

Queens Anne lace everywhere….

947352166_WDWKk-L.jpg

Was surprised to see so much flower growth so late in the season…

947355938_M67Yc-L-1.jpg

Another cool barn shot on the fly… barns are such intriguing structures and must have stories to tell of how they got there and what happened in their lifetimes…

947358415_fqcFX-L.jpg

So dark in this section, the flash went off!

947359979_Vq7Ey-L.jpg

More flowers…

947364737_5sk69-L-1.jpg

…at another bridge where there lots of locals enjoying their day in the cool river…

947362345_9F38G-L.jpg

Heading back toward Eureka…

947366013_mG4eG-L.jpg

The road was lined in sections with ferns galore… it was so pretty!

947368927_DsBi3-L.jpg

Another stop to soak in the sights, sun, and serenity…

947370504_KvrDp-L.jpg

947372599_6Jsiq-L-1.jpg

Wheeeeee!!

947373236_WKKxT-L.jpg

And then a quick refreshment break (just sodas, tyvm) at what the locals call 3 Corners…

947374832_Nakia-L.jpg

Where we saw a dog trying to commandeer a car… crazy stuff happens in the backwoods!

947375352_BJnLd-L.jpg

And then I spied this really cool old cemetery filled with yellow wildflowers right in the middle of town that I wanted to get a shot of… Michael said, you want a picture of a what?!? I think cemeteries are cool too… what can I say?

947377888_fTd2S-L-1.jpg

Thanks again, Michael, for a spectacular day… and give Kat another hug from me too!

947333323_ZbNfB-L.jpg

Hold on, Don... just one more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Then it was back to the hotel to watch the annual WFO Cat Herding Festival which actually went quite nicely I thought given the sheer number of bikes and, uh, personalities…

949446391_jUzrS-L.jpg

I have never seen such a large conglomeration of squids in one place in my life!

947381869_2Zvi5-L.jpg

And the day wouldn’t be complete without a TWN salute… which seemed to be rampant around the event…

947381345_aZp46-L.jpg

Back inside for more frivolity including special dinner favors… never did see much of Niehart after he got a hold of his…

947382751_9YxVp-L.jpg

Dustin, LongRyder’s grandson, was an impressive young man… has a good head on his shoulders, survived a bit of a get off, and then rode home with one gear… good start of an Iron Butt rider methinks!

947388087_8Mjv9-L.jpg

Another yummy dinner!

947384445_i8rdy-L.jpg

No “Kick me!” signs on the back for this crowd…

947383831_6oJ7i-L.jpg

Michael got Kat a gift certificate for a massage while we were out gallivanting in the countryside… she was a relaxed and very happy lady… smart man that SPU!!

947383394_AYRNS-L.jpg

The view from across the table… can you say trouble?

947386179_7q3Nb-L.jpg

With a capital “T”!

947386850_XRg97-L.jpg

More jokers at my table…

947385556_onXu3-L.jpg

Hope the drive down was worth the hug, Dave… I know it was for me! :wub:

947387461_75ua4-L.jpg

By 8 a.m.. Sunday morning, many had already departed early so not many folks left except for the few stragglers (Richard). Had breakfast with a few folks and then headed down that long, lonely highway that I had pretty much to myself until Willits… I survived my first WFO!!

Again, a big thanks to the organizers not only for a great event but for letting me play along in the sandbox with y’all. I was given the opportunity to speak to the group Saturday night and I tried to do it with out crying but that didn’t work too well! But the words I gathered were for everyone here on the forum so I will share them with you in closing to this thread:

“I am not here to speak of farm animals as I think we all get our fill of that from the forum. I am here to talk about people... real people, giving people, right here in this room. I am here to give simple and heartfelt thanks to all of you who have supported me through the past year. Whether it was a thought, a prayer, a message, a card, or whatever... each of you played a part in my healing.

I came to this forum because of the untimely passing of Andrew, aka OrangeValeFJR. If you don't know who that is, go do a search when you get home and you will find yourself richer for the legacy of photos and stories he left behind for us. I met him through another forum, Pashnit, and when news of a memorial ride surfaced there, I registered on the FJR forum and became a member in his honor. While it was a very sad event that led me here, it has also given me much joy and laughter and the gift of meeting some really wonderful people.

When I showed up for the memorial ride in November 2008, I was a bit nervous. I stuck out like a sore thumb on my Triumph Trophy in a sea of FJRs. I was immediately welcomed into the fold and never felt like an outsider. MadMike was leading one of the groups and I decided to tag along with his group. So I asked him which bike was his and he replied, "Oh, I'm on the blue FJR." I turned to look at the sea of blue FJRs in the parking lot and said, "Dude, maybe a little more detail?" Although it was fairly easy to remember names... if I saw anyone on a blue FJR from Sacramento, I figured if I called him Mike, I had a pretty good chance of being right!

The past year has been one helluva journey on so many different levels. And I just want to make it clear that I would not be here today had it not been for the many angels that have graced my life. From EMTs to doctors and nurses to friends far and wide, each and every one of you has made a difference in my healing.

I remember one day in particular when I had a visit from the Hycles and MadMike and Old Michael... they came to the hospital with smiles and laughter and brightened up my day immensely. When I was having a rough moment, MadMike looked at me and said, "Honey, you gotta walk through the darkness in the valley to really appreciate the sunrise at the top of the mountain." And those words stayed with me and helped me take those small steps when I didn't think I could. Oh yeah, he's also the one who told me to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Tough love but I knew it came from the heart.

In closing, I would like everyone to lift a glass of their preferred beverage. In honor of those who have gone before us but whose spirit continues to live on in all of us. To those who are still fighting and healing from whatever challenges lie in front of them. And as we all begin our journeys homeward tomorrow, a toast to each of you for a safe trip filled with the wonders that life has to offer us all.

Slainte!”

FIN

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt RR Tyler!

Thanks for posting this AND including your Saturday night pep talk!

Greg

Givio = A toast to you in Serbo-Croat.

It means, to a long/prosperous/healthy life filled with good cheer! :yahoo:

Great RR Tyler - Love ya gal!

Your spirit and wonderfullness live on.. Bless you.

(now, about my cold beer?) :unsure:

It's been a long time since I've read a Tyler ride report. Almost makes me wish I was there, Oh I was. Thanks for the beer. Now get out and take a couple more pics, please.

Beautiful ride report Tyler. I'd like to write more but my jacket is hung up in the corner and blinding me! :D

P.S. Thanks for the horny goat weed, and the case of beer in the parking lot. The shirt for MadMike was priceless.

I wonder if Old Michael misses his bottle opener that I ermmm.. creatively aquired in the parking lot. :rolleyes:

Nice report and pics Tyler! It was great to finally meet you in person and enjoy a few laughs at the table...even with the added characters we had to put up with. :blink:

See you again soon.

--G

Very nicely done, Tyler.

Well, maybe a few too many shots of His Knobness, ShinyPartsUp.

I wonder if Old Michael misses his bottle opener that I ermmm.. creatively aquired in the parking lot. :rolleyes:
Yes, for you, creativity IS slipping your hand into your pocket. And lingering there.

Do NOT mail it back to me, please. Prolly all sticky now.

Great pictures Tyler, thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a great time. I miss going to the WFO's. I'll definatley attend the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.