Cabot Trail & Prince Edward Island

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Last week, I headed out for a quick ride around the Cabot Trail, using my buddy’s campsite in PEI as home-base. We’ll skip-over the to & from journeys. To my knowledge, there is no way to make 26 hours (round trip) of slab worth mentioning, unless ‘something’ happens. Nothing did, unless you consider 8 out of 13 hours in the rain (on the way out) to be interesting...

Once there however, there is much to see, eat, ride and just enjoy. In general, the entire area, including the bright red cliffs of PEI, is so beautiful that I’ll refrain from being verbose and let the pics do most of the talking.

So what does a tourist see in the area?

As you’d expect, fishing villages, fishing boats….

Cabottrailsceneryfishingboats.jpg

Funny, out here, lobster is usually ordered in fancier restaurants. Out there, it's served with fries & coleslaw.

Cabottrailsceneryrestaurant.jpg

Shit-hawks abound & flourish, of course

PEIseagull01.jpg

Beautiful countryside in general. Being an inlander, seeing the ocean with my own eyes is always a treat

Cabottrailsceneryhaybales001.jpg

CabottrailsceneryFJRcoastline.jpg

In the late afternoon sun, pictures can’t do justice to the beauty of red cliffs, along the PEI coastline

PEIredcliffs02.jpg

PEIredcliffs01.jpg

And the roads….

Cabottrailroads002.jpg

Here, I pulled-over and tried striking-up a conversation with a local. As I was pulling-out my camera, he bolted so I snapped this in a panic before he vanished into the woods (hence the blurred image)

Cabottrailscenerymoose.jpg

Cabottrailroads003.jpg

Shortly into the trail itself, I found myself riding back & forth on a particularly fun canyon-racer-style stretch of road with steep hills, hairpins, constant right-left switchbacks and dizzying drop-offs on the ocean side of the road.

Cabottrailroads001.jpg

I had so much fun in the endless curves & twisties that by the time the sun was going down, I had only made it ½ way around the trail. Poor me. So instead of heading back to PEI and my friends, I grabbed a hotel room, some refreshing adult beverages and crashed so I could repeat ride the trail again for a second day. Good call.

Here's my old girl, checking out the scenery while taking a well-deserved break

CabottrailsceneryFJRlookout.jpg

So the 2 days on the trail were all ride-ride-ride, stopping only stop for food, gas and to snap the odd pic.

All-told, I came home with just over 4400kms on the clock. After four good 1000+km days in the saddle, with no soreness or aches to report, I’m more in love with my old FJR than ever.

Next: my main riding buddy saw the pics & vids…. We’re heading back out in 2 Sundays, so we’ll have 2-3 days of weekday traffic on the trail!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job Andre!

You must've been heading out the day I was heading back (rained from Trois Riviere's to Ottawa). Isn't the trail something!

Oh man....I see a weekend Cabot Trail ride in my future . It'll be my third - but only 2nd on the Feej :yahoo:

GREAT ride report Leskid !!

Hey, I just noticed the Ninjette camoflaged in the grass. Did you take your daughter? Good on ya!

Hey, I just noticed the Ninjette camoflaged in the grass. Did you take your daughter? Good on ya!
lol

Nope, there's no way in hell my daughter would sit on the back of the bike for that long. That's my buddy's wife Véronique (whose campground I was based out of).

Veronique.jpg

She's also a shutterbug so the two of us would head-out on little PEI photo expeditions and leave Daddy to tend to the kiddies.

Veronique2.jpg

GREAT photos, Leskid! And those roads look mighty entertaining!But....there's a reason I never go back to Canada.

I'm scared to death of those shit-hawks.

Any close calls?

:D
heya OM

yeah, shit-hawks scare the hell out of me too. I had a big, bad, wet, sloppy 'incident' on top of my head in the 90s.

Nope - no pucker moments. When so far from home with a fully loaded bike on unfamiliar roads, I'll ride 6/10, just enough to be fun, as can be seen by the visible 1/4" chicken strip on my rear tire, in the last shot.

No chances taken when 1400 kms from home. CAA only tows 250 kms and then they turn-on the meter $$$!

Thanks for whetting my appetite!!!

Hoping to be in your shoes doing the same ride in about 5 days!!!

Can't Wait!!!

Scott

My buddy and I were coming out from Vancouver this summer to ride the trail, then we had to jam out. Now I feel worse than ever!

Great photos....looks like you had excellent weather. Seems I quite often see fog and mist in the pictures on the Cabot Trail...here I see none.

Really enjoyed the videos and stills. What a beautiful place. I spent a week in Nova Scotia many years ago and it is not nearly as beautiful as PEI.

Just curios, is the camera in videos 2 and 3 mounted on your helmet. It certainly makes you feel like you are riding the bike.

Really enjoyed the videos and stills. What a beautiful place. I spent a week in Nova Scotia many years ago and it is not nearly as beautiful as PEI.
Just curios, is the camera in videos 2 and 3 mounted on your helmet. It certainly makes you feel like you are riding the bike.
yep, I stuck one of the gopro's little snap-in mounts on the chin of my helmet so it takes 2 seconds to take the camera on or off. I kind of like it there, since the camera sees more or less what I'm looking at. The only thing I don't like about that mounting option is when riding, I keep my head more or less horizontal to the ground so you do lose a lot of the leaning effect compared to mounting on the bike itself. You can still see the windshield leaning back & forth though.