FJRF006.0: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Well Mine is 40+ on the bad side of the high side :(

Already still waiting on all the parts to fix the other issues.

Guess I'll have to wait on that repair as well!

I hope they recall everything that they're going to so it can all be corrected before riding season starts again!

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I still miss my ride! Mine had just now started to show signs of hesitations and rpm mood swings while at idle!

Well called the shop the person in the know is on his Honeymoon, at least someone is enjoying themselves!

The person working on the bike is off, long holiday weekend I suppose! Do not blame them I'd have added a few days if I had them to take off!

Do NOT assume the 06's have a failure-proof TPS. This afternoon I set out for a scenic ride through the hardwood hills of Nova Scotia on my 06 AE with 5840 kms on it. It had not been driven for just under two weeks, as we had been in Cuba. Immediately upon starting the bike, I noticed what appeared to be a "momentary" period of it running on what sounded like two cylinders, then the normal smoothness kicked in, and I thought nothing further of it. I now recall having "thought" I heard this on the last 5-6 start-ups after the bike had been unused for a few days.

Off we went down the TCH at 120-125kms. At about ten kms into the run, the bike hiccuped, much like a small bit of water in the gas would cause. This time I had a "hummm" moment, but continued on down the road. About two kms later, a major hiccup, about five seconds in duration, and about one km later, another hiccup and the bike seemed to revert to a two cylinder version, MAJOR loss of power. I pulled off the TCH and made it to a garage, where I called my selling dealer and advised him that I was looking at fault # 34, described the symtoms, and was wondering just what # 34 was, as my service manual was at home. He tried to look it up, but for some reason, could not locate the information. He suggested I hang up, and he would call me; fair enough. After not receiving a call from him in over thirty minutes, I called the local Yamaha dealer. The mechanic there was busy, and I said I would call back. I did, and was advised that fault # 34 was a TPS malfunction. I then asked if it would hurt the bike to try and drive it to his shop, and he said no, but that it might get worse or quit at any time. I made it successfully to the shop, where the bike will be looked at tomorrow.

Having put 44,000 kms on my 04ABS without one mechanical hitch, I was NOT a happy camper. I will post here what is/was required to obtain a fix once it is complete. When you consider the "bracket mod", and now this, sure seems like Yamaha did a poor job in desinging/spec'ing some of the bits and pieces that make up the 06 FJR AE.

Hmmm, paid the dealer to do some sort of an adjustment to my TPS about a year ago after getting an error code. Lovely, now I see this?

Hmmm, paid the dealer to do some sort of an adjustment to my TPS about a year ago after getting an error code. Lovely, now I see this?
I don't think there's any adjustment available for the TPS, it's either good or bad? I guess you could pay for a tech to do a TPS diagnosis via the display?

I don't think there's any adjustment available for the TPS, it's either good or bad? I guess you could pay for a tech to do a TPS diagnosis via the display?
I think there is a timing adjustment on the TPS. Get it in exactly the right place when the throttle is closed so it sends the right voltage to the ECU through it's range. Pretty common on TPS's in general. Of course Heidi's problem was more likely the beginning af a failing TPS than one that somehow went out of adjustment. :eek:

Mines in the range, but it's never given me any problems... guess I'll give Tony a buzz and see what's up.

think there is a timing adjustment on the TPS.
The TPS is adjustable to set the correct voltage at idle. The TPS will be adjusted to produce 650-750mV which will be the equivalent of 15%-17% of maximum throttle. When you look at the diAG screen d1: you are looking at % of throttle - spec is Throttle closed = 15-17 and Throttle wide open 97-100.
I changed my TPS a couple of months ago, posted a procedure, added a post mortem thread that shows the guts of the TPS and shows what goes wrong with the POS.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TPS is adjustable to set the correct voltage at idle. The TPS will be adjusted to produce 650-750mV which will be the equivalent of 15%-17% of maximum throttle. When you look at the diAG screen d1: you are looking at % of throttle - spec is Throttle closed = 15-17 and Throttle wide open 97-100.
I changed my TPS a couple of months ago, posted a procedure, added a post mortem thread that shows the guts of the TPS and shows what goes wrong with the POS.
Yup. In fact, one of the neat things about the diag display is the ability to slowly rotate the throttle and observe the display readout. Watch for a hole, ie: 30,31,32,00,00,01,36,37. Whamo, junk TPS. Don't even need a Fluke.

Official Yamaha Bulletin

NHTSA Recall Notice

From the Yammy bulletin...

You should not ride your motorcycle until this modification is performed

So everybody is putting their affected bikes in storage for the next few weeks? :glare: Guess I need to cancel that trip to Barber's next week.. yeah, right.

So, I guess I'm not on the list...

RP09Y75A000246

...or am I not reading the VIN correctly...

(which, btw, is entirely possible)

Jim

From the NHTSA documents, these are the FJRs that are affected by the recall. Not all 2005s are affected.

2003 FJR1300R/RC All
2004 FJR1300S/SC/AS/ASC All
2005 FJR1300T RP07E-0002237-0003981
2005 FJR1300TC RP07Y-0000400-0000661
2005 FJR1300AT RP09E-0000873-0002293
2005 FJRI300ATC RP09Y-0000181-0000510

For example, as luck would have it, my 05 is not on the list.

Cheers...
Seems mine on the list, but isn't exhibiting any behavior that I would call unusual. Will take it in when I get the tire switched.

am i reading it right only 5 ........ 2005 are being recalled

am i reading it right only 5 ........ 2005 are being recalled
WAaaaaAY more than five Zorkler, read the #'s again

:blink:

This also proves the point when guys think they have the "only " # 086 or 006 or whatever... there's at least four # 0181 on that list for just 2005.