Aerostitch Wearer warning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
Today, while returning from a 2 wk long mc trip, at the intersection of Hwy 89 & 88 near Lake Tahoe, (wind gusting from my right at over 25 kts.) I almost fell over at that stop sign. While downshifting, I noticed that my left leg seemed to be tethered to the foot peg somehow and I was unable to move my foot to put it down for the stop. I struggled for a bit, but with the stop rapidly approaching, I scanned for oncoming traffic (none) and slowly rolled the stop and continued on the right hand shoulder westbound, continuing to struggle with the problem. I finally yanked my leg away from the bike, freed my leg and found that the left inseam leg zipper pull on my Aerostitch had somehow gotten wedged between the two panels above the foot peg. It appears that the zipper pull was at a 90 degree angle to my leg and in the process of moving my leg fore and aft, it got stuck between the panels. Aerostitch wearers should assure that they put the zipper pull in the down position and fold the material over to prevent it from coming in contact with the gap between those panels. I'm also going to fashion some sort of gap filler to help prevent a re-occurrence, but as they, you've been warned. Also, if someone comes up with a sanitary fix for this, I'd be interested in seeing it posted.

Zipper became wedged between these two panels just above the left hand allen screw.

BlackHills2010146.jpg

Zipper pull as it was before being torn apart.

StitchZipper009.jpg

Zipper pull after I yanked it out to free my leg.

StitchZipper006.jpg

update: It looks like this Zipper pull will fix the problem as it's larger than the opening between the two panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, never had that happen.

What if you put on one of those rubber zipper pull covers, would that be big enough to not get caught there?

Shoe laces can get you too when they grab the footpeg.

Scary, could have been bad with a leg pinned under the bike. Never thought much about zippers, always have kept boot laces short and under the pants.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, never had that happen. What if you put on one of those rubber zipper pull covers, would that be big enough to not get caught there?

Yep, I updated the original post when I found one of those pull covers that will do the trick. Hopefully someone will re-evaluate their equipment so it doesn't happen to them.

Wow, never had that happen. What if you put on one of those rubber zipper pull covers, would that be big enough to not get caught there?

Yep, I updated the original post when I found one of those pull covers that will do the trick. Hopefully someone will re-evaluate their equipment so it doesn't happen to them.
I replaced all of the metal zipper pulls on my Aeorstich with leather laces tied close to the zipper with about 2 inches of loose ends to pull with. This solved 2 problems - the metal tabs don't get caught and they don't mess up the finish on the bike. The right thigh pocket zipper which can really mess up a tank.

Today, while returning from a 2 wk long mc trip, at the intersection of Hwy 89 & 88 near Lake Tahoe, (wind gusting from my right at over 25 kts.) I almost fell over at that stop sign. While downshifting, I noticed that my left leg seemed to be tethered to the foot peg somehow and I was unable to move my foot to put it down for the stop. I struggled for a bit, but with the stop rapidly approaching, I scanned for oncoming traffic (none) and slowly rolled the stop and continued on the right hand shoulder westbound, continuing to struggle with the problem. I finally yanked my leg away from the bike, freed my leg and found that the left inseam leg zipper pull on my Aerostitch had somehow gotten wedged between the two panels above the foot peg. It appears that the zipper pull was at a 90 degree angle to my leg and in the process of moving my leg fore and aft, it got stuck between the panels. Aerostitch wearers should assure that they put the zipper pull in the down position and fold the material over to prevent it from coming in contact with the gap between those panels. I'm also going to fashion some sort of gap filler to help prevent a re-occurrence, but as they, you've been warned. Also, if someone comes up with a sanitary fix for this, I'd be interested in seeing it posted.
Zipper became wedged between these two panels just above the left hand allen screw.

BlackHills2010146.jpg

StitchZipper009.jpg

StitchZipper006.jpg

update: It looks like this Zipper pull will fix the problem as it's larger than the opening between the two panels.
I have a Roadcrafter suit and never had that problem. I did order those "pull covers and found that they don't actually fit the zipper on my suit. I called Aerostich and they checked and said it was their mistake. The ad is wrong. They did refund my money without me even having to send them back though.

I see you have the "spur" marks on the sides of your bike too.

I'll keep that problem in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

I noted last weekend that the snaps down at the bottom of the legs of my Roadcrafter were scratching the crap out of the plastics above the pegs. I applied some clear packing tape as a temporary protection film until I can get something better. No issues with getting zippers stuck so far though.

CAJW I had the same thing happen to me last year. I almost lost it at a stop when I couldn't get my left foot down. I couldn't believe that my damn zipper got caught in that little crack. I broke my zipper pull off trying to get my foot released. I stuffed a strip of foam (with adhesive on one side)in that crack and haven't had a problem again.

Eric

BlackHills2010146.jpg

StitchZipper009.jpg

StitchZipper006.jpg

Yep! Gotta watch those boot laces as well. When I had my old kawa. many years ago,I got my boot lace caught on the peg and down I went.

I felt like the guy on the tricycle from laugh in.

Ok, the real problem is CAJW going on a 2 week ride!

Talk about the unprobable circumstance - then another forum member posts he had the same issue?

...I mean, how many ways are there to crash an FJR?

Glad you did not go down, mi amigo - oh, did you pull a hammie trying to get free? :unsure:

The zippers on my gear run down the outside of the leg with a weather flap velcroed closed. In factI don't have any gear with the zipper running down the inside that would scratch or get hung up, rain gear, nothing. I don't think I will either after reading this thread. :unsure:

DC,

First of all, 2 weeks wasn't long enough! Secondly, the number of ways to dump one's bike just seems to keep growing. If traffic had of been heavy, the out come might have been different, but no muscular issues resulted, just a ripped zipper pull and another gray hair or two.

SM,

Arte Johnson only had to deal with about a 8 lb tricycle to deal with. The 600 lb FJR would've been painful and expensive, glad it didn't happen.

I have never had nor would I own a riding suit or pants with zippers in the inseam. That's problematic from the start. If you have some expensive gear and the zippers are on the inside of thelegs have someone sew a flap with velcro over the area where the zipper pull rests when closed. Personally, I wear nothing that will get caught on the bike or cause it to be scratched.

Since this seems to be morphing into a thread about zipper placement.....

....my gear has the zippers on the inside of the legs. There are velcro flaps that cover the entire length of the zipper.

I've owned equipment that had zippers running on the outside of the legs and they FAILED during a 15 mph impact and slide. Had I not had the presence of mind to keep my left leg elevated as I was sliding I would have had road rash to deal with. Thanks, but I won't return to that equipment and I'll continue to enjoy the protection of my Cycleport gear as John (and others) enjoy their Roadcrafter suits.