Isle of Man TT 2010 !!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rhody and rogdeb: David responded with the following preliminary information and will follow up on this weekend with his analysis of what an IOM TT would cost us. Do we want to rent bikes on the Isle of Man? It sounds like it is much cheaper without a bike hire on the Island. My plan is to sail to IOM from Belfast, with the week before (or the week after) being spent touring Eire using a bike from Irish Bike Hire. I will start twisting the arms of fellow Irishmen Old Michael and ShinyPartsUp to join me on The Emerald Isle M/C Excursion, but you know how Flaky those Fenians can be!

https://www.irishbike.com/index.html Could also sail from Dublin, Irish Bike will arrange bike pickups in either The Republic or Ulster. Their operation is based in County Down in Northern Ireland, UK.

"Hi Don

It's been many years since I have been across to the Island although I am hoping to take part in the inaugural IBA TT1000 next April.

Although you will be more likely to find accommodation and ferries available for the GP event in September I think if I were just coming over for a weeks racing (i e. not as part of a longer tour in the UK) I would choose the TT for the experience.

At the weekend I'll start pricing up a week at the 2011 TT which should be similar. Would you be hiring bikes? Although you can enjoy the IOM using public transport, especially on race days I think you would want to ride the circuit at least once. Just not on Mad Sunday, it's a lot better to sit on a pub terrace and watch the idiots who think they can ride.

A few links to give you further information

The Isle of Man Tourist Board

The Steam Packet Company, approx £170 bike and rider, may be more during TT week,

IOM motorcyle hire very expensive, about £150 per day, off-set by not requiring to book the ferry

If you have direct flights to Ireland it may be worth considering hiring a bike there.

The TT is still very popular with a lot of people making the journey every year. I think you would have to provisionally book places on the ferry up to a year in advance, I think the Steam Packet Co. has special procedures for this.

The race schedule is likely to follow the 2011 TT format

Saturday Superbike and Sidecar 1

Monday Supersport 1 and Superstock

Wednesday Sidecar2 and Supersport 2

Friday Senior (open to all but mostly superbike)

Dave"
Beemer, Rogdeb,

It seems your friend Dave recommends the last week of the TT as well, for the "experience" of it all.

I have been watching the TT on video/TV since 2005 and it hooked me the first season.

I have an 06 FJR with ABS, and decided it was time to live a little, have a:

2010 BMW 1000RR on order with the following farkles:

Sato rearsets

front axel sliders

frame sliders

racing hooks

windscreen

fender eliminator

heli bars

Custom paint : gas tank: black to match fairing

Custom powder coat (black): swingarm, front, rear wheels

It will be a "one of" when I am done with it.

May even experiment with IR paint over the clearcoat, the images/etc will only show under blacklight

so the art work/message will be anonymous to all but a chosen few.

The idea of bringing that bike to the TT would be a kick for sure.

Let's not let this initial enthusiasm die and make this happen next June. I am in.

Rhody...

Hello Rhody, I will not be able to attend Isle of Man TT in 2011. But, I will certainly help you, rogdeb and any others of our FJR Forum in planning of your IOM 2011 meet; by helping you plan I will also be helping myself. I will be attending IOM TT in 2012 due to other ride committments in 2011. In March I will be leading the FJR Forum to Cabo San Lucas "Land's End" on the Baja California Peninsula in Mexico. In June I will be heading to New Brunswick, Canada for CFR 2011, I keep hearing persistent rumors about REALLY HOT Canadian women in the Fredericton area. In August or September I will once again be the Co-Rallymaster of SW-FOG 2011 with Big-D of Arizona. And to celebrate my 63rd Birthday on October 28, 2011: I am riding to Guatemala with FJR Forum Friends HotRodZilla and Patch308. Repeat of my 1988 trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.isleofmanbreaks.com/racing-breaks/isle-of-man-tt/# Does anyone have experience with Regency Travel of Douglas, IOM? Looks like 1-stop bookings and hassle free! Other sources??
Beemerdons,

I have been wanting to go to the Isle of Mann for the last 4 or 5 years. This year Guy Martin was lucky to escape a 160 mph crash and live to tell about it. I noticed that there was a tribute at the end to two more riders. It didn't say if they were killed during the races or from natural causes. The Isle of Man government is really sensitive about not wanting to "sour the public" with footage of accidents, understandable. As you alluded to in your post, I would be comfortable with a trip where someone had: "Been there and done that". I know the ferry that takes you there is expensive that time of year, and that planes do fly there, not sure about the cost. I have to imagine that the cool reasonable places fill up early, the trick is to find one of them. I have friends (not bikers) who want to go as well. Let's use this thread to post good idea's/intell on a trip there.

both the guys killed died while racing, one was a fellow kiwi, lot of experience, and died doing what he loved doing.

if any of you guys go to the TT there, you will have a ball, but be warned, if you partake in "mad sunday" do it with extreme caution, and wear all your best gear. try googling "mad sunday" videos.

the course is great but it loves taking "fools" and "big heads" to the cleaner!

Rhody...

https://www.isleofmanbreaks.com/racing-breaks/isle-of-man-tt/# Does anyone have experience with Regency Travel of Douglas, IOM? Looks like 1-stop bookings and hassle free! Other sources??
Beemerdons,

I have been wanting to go to the Isle of Mann for the last 4 or 5 years. This year Guy Martin was lucky to escape a 160 mph crash and live to tell about it. I noticed that there was a tribute at the end to two more riders. It didn't say if they were killed during the races or from natural causes. The Isle of Man government is really sensitive about not wanting to "sour the public" with footage of accidents, understandable. As you alluded to in your post, I would be comfortable with a trip where someone had: "Been there and done that". I know the ferry that takes you there is expensive that time of year, and that planes do fly there, not sure about the cost. I have to imagine that the cool reasonable places fill up early, the trick is to find one of them. I have friends (not bikers) who want to go as well. Let's use this thread to post good idea's/intell on a trip there.

Rhody...
both the guys killed died while racing, one was a fellow kiwi, lot of experience, and died doing what he loved doing.

if any of you guys go to the TT there, you will have a ball, but be warned, if you partake in "mad sunday" do it with extreme caution, and wear all your best gear. try googling "mad sunday" videos.

the course is great but it loves taking "fools" and "big heads" to the cleaner!

Just thought I would share these two links, teasers from the 2011 IOMTT.

I think they are awesome:

Isle of Mann Review

I really liked the first one, the music, the photography, everything... it was perfect.. those film crews are definitely upping their game IMO.

racing from 1:45 on...
Rhody...

Isle of Mann Review

I really liked the first one, the music, the photography, everything... it was perfect.. those film crews are definitely upping their game IMO...

Rhody...
There is also a 3D documentary 'Closer to the Edge' from the 2010 IOMTT that is by all accounts awesome. Anyone who was ever seen footage from Isle of Mann and has any interest in bikes wants to go bad. I'm still waiting on a release date on this side of the pond.

This race is definitely on my bucket list and you can put me on the list to go even if Old Michael & SPU tag along. We'll need someone to fetch drinks though on second thought sending an Irishman to bring you drinks may not be a good idea.

Isle of Mann Review

I really liked the first one, the music, the photography, everything... it was perfect.. those film crews are definitely upping their game IMO...

Rhody...
There is also a 3D documentary 'Closer to the Edge' from the 2010 IOMTT that is by all accounts awesome. Anyone who was ever seen footage from Isle of Mann and has any interest in bikes wants to go bad. I'm still waiting on a release date on this side of the pond.

This race is definitely on my bucket list and you can put me on the list to go even if Old Michael & SPU tag along. We'll need someone to fetch drinks though on second thought sending an Irishman to bring you drinks may not be a good idea.
yamafitter,

I am all over "Closer to the Edge", already seen most of the trailers and e-mailed Duke Video about it. They say US release will be sometime this fall. In the meantime, the US release of the Blu Ray IOMTT 2011 is scheduled for release 08 August 2011, in case anyone else is waiting on it.

Rhody...

https://www.isleofman...sle-of-man-tt/# Does anyone have experience with Regency Travel of Douglas, IOM? Looks like 1-stop bookings and hassle free! Other sources??
Motoquest also has a tour of IOM that also includes some riding in Wales that looks really good to me. Included the bike rental and ferry crossing. This looks like a no hassle way to go to me. I've ridden with Phil from Motoquest in Alaska and can say they run a good tour.

https://www.isleofman...sle-of-man-tt/# Does anyone have experience with Regency Travel of Douglas, IOM? Looks like 1-stop bookings and hassle free! Other sources??
Motoquest also has a tour of IOM that also includes some riding in Wales that looks really good to me. Included the bike rental and ferry crossing. This looks like a no hassle way to go to me. I've ridden with Phil from Motoquest in Alaska and can say they run a good tour.
Bill & rhody: Here's what FJR Forum Member David "Orestes" Clark of Chatham, Kent, England wrote to me back on 5/11. IOM is also very high on Chuy's bucket list.

"Hi Don

As you know I have recently been on the Isle of Man for the TT1000. While I was there I called in to Regency Travel and asked about the 2012 TT. As I guessed 2012 is pretty much fully booked although they did advice that they often get cancellations in January when the final prices get sent out. They are already beginning to get enquiries about 2013.

Hotels prices are not set yet but you can expect to pay a healthy premium (maybe as much as 100% at the more popular ones) above those advertised on hotel websites. Most of those attending the TT1000 stayed at the Inglewood Hotel. They do not start taking bookings until after the conclusion of the previous years event but everybody seemed very happy there and there was a good pub only a few yards away.

There are no motorcycle rentals available on the Island but Celtic Rider in Dublin come highly recommended, they provided 3 or 4 bikes for our North American competitors.

After last week the bike is in need of a service and then in a few weeks time I'm off on my summer tour. I'm afraid I got carried away over the christmas holiday and booked my self a place on one of Ron Ayres adventures, so it's off to Norway and beyond on Independence Day. Hopefully I will be able to restore the savings for next years trip to NAFO.

Hope all is well in sunny Phoenix.

Best wishes

Dave"

As you know Don, Motoquest had some open spots this year and was even offering some discounts to try and fill the spots. There are spots currently open for the 2012 IOM and I am going to talk to Phil on Monday about this and get his take. My only concern is that when I look at the itinerary they are on the IOM midweek and I'm not sure if we would only catch practice or some of the races. The race schedule for IOM 2012 is not yet posted on the IOM site so at this point there is a bit of guesswork involved based on last year's schedule.

This could work out very well since we would get back and have a about a week to pack before heading off for NAFO / CFR. Ray & I were thinking of trailering to Calgary and park in Jeff's driveway and then ride from there. This gets rid of the boring bits across the flat lands.

I will report back after contacting Motoquest and see what the scoop is.When I checked the Regency Travel site to tell you the truth I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw since they don't help with bike rental from what I could gather.

I just got off the phone with Phil Freeman of Motoquest. The five days they spend on the IOM is during the practice heats during the first week. You get to ride down to the paddock & then ride the course in the morning, have lunch, ride the course again in the afternoon and then pick out the spot you want to watch the practice (practice happens during the evening). Phil tells me you get the full flavour of the IOM TT but that it just gets too crazy in the second week (google Mad Sunday).

There are 4 spots left on the tour for 2012 which also includes some really nice riding in Wales to and from the IOM TT.

I know from the races I've attended you usually get to see more during practice than during the actual race and I'm thinking I'm going for it since I turn 60 in 2012 and this will be an early birthday present to myself. Anybody want to tag along?? ... at your own expense (I'm too cheap to pay for you).

Motoquest IOM TT Tour

I just got off the phone with Phil Freeman of Motoquest. The five days they spend on the IOM is during the practice heats during the first week. You get to ride down to the paddock & then ride the course in the morning, have lunch, ride the course again in the afternoon and then pick out the spot you want to watch the practice (practice happens during the evening). Phil tells me you get the full flavour of the IOM TT but that it just gets too crazy in the second week (google Mad Sunday).

There are 4 spots left on the tour for 2012 which also includes some really nice riding in Wales to and from the IOM TT.

I know from the races I've attended you usually get to see more during practice than during the actual race and I'm thinking I'm going for it since I turn 60 in 2012 and this will be an early birthday present to myself. Anybody want to tag along?? ... at your own expense (I'm too cheap to pay for you).

Motoquest IOM TT Tour
Yamafitter,

Sounds tempting, I am 56, and have been wanting to do this for years and years. I will check with them on deposit and dates for payment after work tomorrow. I was hoping to ship my bike over there for the tour as well, but that would mean outfitting it with all travel bags (twisted throttle, etc) since this is a rolling tour. Have you done one of these before ? If not, has anyone following this thread done one ?

Rhody...

BTW. From the video I watched last night it said visitor's to the Isle of Mann races in 2011 were up 10% over last year. Just wait till TT3D Closer to the Edge plays here in the US. That will draw an even greater number of first timers to the event. Would be cool to get access to the paddock and meet McGuiness, Martin, Ansty, Amor, Cummings and Donald too. Let's hope they all have safe races next year, there has been too much carnage. Let's hope Ian Hutchinson (he damned near lost his leg in that freak accident) is back to 100% health and on form for next years races.

Rhody...

Yamafitter,

Sounds tempting, I am 56, and have been wanting to do this for years and years. I will check with them on deposit and dates for payment after work tomorrow. I was hoping to ship my bike over there for the tour as well, but that would mean outfitting it with all travel bags (twisted throttle, etc) since this is a rolling tour. Have you done one of these before ? If not, has anyone following this thread done one ?

Rhody...
I have done a few motorcycle tours and rode a Motoquest Tour in Alaska back in 2006. The tour includes a chase vehicle that hauls your luggage so there is no need for a lot of luggage on the bike. All you should need is a place for rain gear and a camera. Deposit is $1000 with balance of payment due 60 days before tour starts. Here is a link to Motoquest's payment policy.

Tour Payment Policy

A general rule of thumb in regards to shipping vs renting.

The break even point seems to be if you are going to be overseas for at least six weeks then it makes sense to ship your own bike. Otherwise compared to shipping and then having to get insurance on the bike it is less expensive to rent. This assumes you are using a commercial shipping company.

I'm still going to check with Regency Travel just to check prices before I lay down my non-refundable deposit.

Please remember the tour price does not include airline travel to & from Great Britain.

Great fun watching some of these pros run wide open.....

Good tele coverage on HD Theater.....
I agree. My Dad was in the British Army during WWII and went to the Isle of Man in 1940 to attend Officer Training. On one of his "leave" days he did the TT Course on a borrowed old BSA (or maybe it was an Ariel) and loved relating of how "bloody insane" the racers of that era must have been to lap the circuit at speed. Of course, he'd say, they had the advantage of no oncoming traffic and a few hay bales in certain locations...great memories.