Sw-Fog 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hwy 191 ( road of 10,000 curves) at the tail end of the Monsoon, thunder amd lightning. Lots of great roads around including 77 and 180. Springerville is great.

Didn't make the 2010 ride, but if the timing is right I would love to do the 2011. My vote Colorado..when through there this past summer and still a lot more to see and do!

I for one vote for Taos. I have been in that area about 3 times but did not get to attend the Rally. A lot of the other areas mentioned are a great area but I think you have to think about the rides in the area. In a lot of the areas mentioned you have only one road to ride and then you might have to ride it back. In the Taos area there are many loop rides that one can take.

However I plan on making the rally this year no matter where it is held.

Thanks to all that spend the time and money to make this possible.

Mac

Here are some venues / dates SW-FOG 2011 Co-Rally Masters Dan Compton and Don Stanley (with pinhead's help!) are looking at (set in stone on 1/1/11):

1) Colorado High Country, somewhere in the Gunnison, Silverton, Montrose and Durango rectangle: Mid Week - Tuesday, 9/6 through Friday, 9/10 of 2011.

2) Return to the Kachina Lodge Inn in Toas (Taos), New Mexico, the same third weekend of the month as last year: Thursday, 9/15 through Sunday, 9/18.

3) Devil's Highway '666' Region of Eastern Arizona and W. New Mexico, Springerville or Pine Top, AZ base camp: Thursday, 9/29 through Sunday, 10/2.
# 3 Please. Sounds Great!

Taos was great this year. I could do Taos again or Colorado. Makes no diff. I think either one is going to be a good time. I did like the facilities in Taos this year. The hotel was great. Would like to see something similar if we do Colorado next year. I know the riding will be good either way.

Gp

Taos was great this year. I could do Taos again or Colorado. Makes no diff. I think either one is going to be a good time. I did like the facilities in Taos this year. The hotel was great. Would like to see something similar if we do Colorado next year. I know the riding will be good either way.

Gp
GPRIDER: Dan and I'll be announcing our decision/dates after 1st of the year, so the working stiffs can let their employers know when they need M/C time off. All of us had a great time in TOAS!

Big-D and Papa Chuy are hopelessly retired, so we are open to dates. For what's its worth, private messages to us have been overwhelmingly in favor of returning to Taos and the Best Western Kachina Lodge; we were treated like Kings and Queens by the staff and they would love for us to return. Would you folks like mid-week, does it work better for FJR Folks traveling further? Would like to see those rain soaked bastards from the Specific Northwet and Chicagoland area make the run to New Mexico! Perhaps the Tuesday through Friday after Labor Day? Your thoughts please!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not as far as Chicago, but Taos still has my vote as I have had to miss it twice now.

As long as I'm not on the road Labor Day weekend, I'm OK with any days. I hope to add a day or two and ride north in Colorado, which would be my second choice. Of course, I'd be OK with doing it backwards too.

After I had to cancel due to medical reasons, Kachina Lodge was kind enough to offer me the group rate anytime I could come out. So I hope to get to do some business with them at some point.

I'm not as far as Chicago, but Taos still has my vote as I have had to miss it twice now.

As long as I'm not on the road Labor Day weekend, I'm OK with any days. I hope to add a day or two and ride north in Colorado, which would be my second choice. Of course, I'd be OK with doing it backwards too.

After I had to cancel due to medical reasons, Kachina Lodge was kind enough to offer me the group rate anytime I could come out. So I hope to get to do some business with them at some point.
Oh Boy, zzzzip; we thought making the Labor Day Weekend the travel days would be a benefit for the working stiffs, since they would only have to burn up four days of vacation time from their work, instead of five. If you are running up the Interstates to get to Taos, what difference does traveling on Labor Day Weekend matter, except for the extra cagers on the road?

I competed in three Three Flags Classic Motorcycle Rallies from Mexico to Canada put on by the Southern California Motorcycle Association and they all occurred over Labor Day Weekend. With a swift and agile moto, you just leave the cages behind you anyway!

I like the idea of mid-week, maybe fewer cages on the roads less traveled. The timing is good too, gives me time to go home and put on fresh rubber before heading for EOM.

I like the idea of mid-week, maybe fewer cages on the roads less traveled. The timing is good too, gives me time to go home and put on fresh rubber before heading for EOM.
Great minds think alike, airboss! That's why Big-D and Papa Chuy are considering mid-week, so we don't step on EOM! Dan and I were in continuous contact with Heidi, ensuring SW-FOG would not impact EOM, if we go mid-week there should be no conflicts with EOM!

I will still need to contact "The Vivacious Vixen of The Great White North", Miss Barb, to make sure this will not affect any possible WCR dates.