Next WFO?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

Reaction score
I know a lot must go into choosing a location. I unfortunately couldn't make it for 2010 but did make it to Moscow, ID the year before. I'd love to see something out in the "real west" next year, and riding all over here, I'd say Cody, WY would be fantastic. Incredible riding, the Buffalo Bill Historic Museum (over 6000 firearms is just part of it), big enough town for choice of hotels. But, certainly far from any major populated area. Just my (humble) suggestion....

And as has pretty much been the case....WFO location is being considered as Fall approaches. It's usually announced in the December/January timeframe giving folks 6+ months to make plans.

Not sure there was a convention that ratified the definition of "real west" but I don't see a Wikipedia entry on it anywhere. I do see "old west" and seems Wyoming is part of that....and venture a guess WFO will be in one of the solid red states (except maybe Hawaii). ;)

120px-US_map-West.png

You might find it best to send a proposal for Cody to the RM, Kaitsdad. Hint for successful WFO's include somewhere with great roads and nearby attractions, somewhere with hotel and banquet facilities for 100+ that are reasonable to contract with, somewhere that appeals to those in the spread-out western U.S., and somehwhere not hot (the RM likes it cooler).

Not sure there was a convention that ratified the definition of "real west" but I don't see a Wikipedia entry on it anywhere. I do see "old west" and seems Wyoming is part of that....and venture a guess WFO will be in one of the solid red states (except maybe Hawaii). ;)
Emigrants, traders, mountain men, and adventurers on the Santa Fe Trail -- used for about 5 decades in the middle 1800s -- generally agreed that once you were west of the 100th Meridian, you were "Out West".

(draw a N.- S. line through Dodge City KS)

Has any discussion took place at about a rolling ralley...different stopping point each night?

Has any discussion took place at about a rolling ralley...different stopping point each night?
woah... That would be a planning nightmare for sure.

AND...

Having to ride fully loaded all the time not being able to shed the extra baggage would bring the SUCK. Moist Ass Cheese Suckage. ;)

I've only heard it suggested once before. Most that attend these events seem to like a base of operations to ride from by day (or not ride from and recover from the previous night's frivolity) and return back to stuff each evening. It also already informally happens as groups come to these events and form up in bands and spend nights getting to the event.

There are also plenty of other rallies out there though that offer different places on different nights. I know I like them too and they're usually checkpoints involved, packets, and names like Utah 1088, SPANK, Iron Butt Rally, etc. ;) It's not something I'd like to try and organize as a social rally though.

I thought Hal said it was going to be in. Oh Shit ,I seem to have forgotten :rolleyes:

I'd love to see something out in the "real west" next year, and riding all over here, I'd say Cody, WY would be fantastic.
I was in Cody a couple of weeks ago. Any town that stages re-enacted gunfights in the center of town 3 times a day is pure tourist trap. Have fun with that. But their is the Chief Joseph, Beartooth, Hwys 14 & 14A... Yellowstone...

As for "real west", I guess I consider certain areas that have that authentic western flavor, not necessarily geographically determined. For example:

Sun Valley, ID: Not the Real West. Consider the fact that you can get a $100 fine for leaving a vehicle idling more than three minutes:

https://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005128170

Rawlins, WY: The Real West. Consider that not much more than 100 years ago, they didn't just hang an outlaw there, they turned him into shoes, a bag, and an ashtray after they were done. Now THAT's the "Real West". :D

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14910

Did I hear someone say Red Lodge, Montana? Its not really centally located but it would be a great place to ride to and from. Anyway BTDT and for the flimsiest excuse I would have to go again.

Let the campaigns begin.

:yahoo:

BBQ

woah... That would be a planning nightmare for sure.

AND...

Having to ride fully loaded all the time not being able to shed the extra baggage would bring the SUCK. Moist Ass Cheese Suckage. ;)
Logistically it would be practically impossible. Too many riders show up and different days/nights. There are those who will arrive on Thursday, Friday or Friday night. Some even as late as Saturday...

Er.... :nono:

Perhaps if the design was for a rally as Ignacio mentioned. I can just see the support committee transporting bags with T-shirts, swag, IDs, etc. from location to location rather than being able to enjoy a day ride for themselves. Plus having to negotiate with separate venues for each night and the banquet.

OK. As the RM, I just gotta say that WFO IS NOT A RALLY. It is much closer to an event - a multi day tire kicking Ride to Eat. And Drink. And to socialize.

It's a time to put faces to names/avatars. It's a time to continue friendships, to make new friends, and to say "goodbye and we remember" to those that are on deep recon.

WFO is a time to gather together and catch up with each other. It's a time to get drunk if you want to, get crazy (not too) if you want, smoke cigars, eat pie, fondle sheep, ride local roads, tell tall tales, listen for your raffle number at dinner, etc., etc., etc.

It is NOT a rally. It is NOT a competitive event.

At it's simplest - it's good times spent with good folks. And that's why I and the rest of the WFO staff do it.

Ok - I'm done rambling. See you all next ......

OK. As the RM, I just gotta say that WFO IS NOT A RALLY. It is much closer to an event - a multi day tire kicking Ride to Eat. And Drink. And to socialize.

It's a time to put faces to names/avatars. It's a time to continue friendships, to make new friends, and to say "goodbye and we remember" to those that are on deep recon.

WFO is a time to gather together and catch up with each other. It's a time to get drunk if you want to, get crazy (not too) if you want, smoke cigars, eat pie, fondle sheep, ride local roads, tell tall tales, listen for your raffle number at dinner, etc., etc., etc.

At it's simplest - it's good times spent with good folks. And that's why I and the rest of the WFO staff do it.

in CRESTON, California? :rolleyes:

in CRESTON, California? :rolleyes:
+100, Ten Fold Gunny! My vote is for Creston, CA for WFO; Headquarters at the Longbranch Saloon and meals at the Loading Chute. Thirty years ago I used to ride my Harley 74 Shovelhead from my house in Morro Bay to drink at The Longbranch; get so fecking drunk, I would have to sleep in the parking lot next to my Chopper. WFO IN CRESTON: Start the god damn ball rolling, dcarver!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be willing to check out availability of accommodations and help with organization here is Bozeman if anybody would like that.

Fred

PARTY AT CARVER'S HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :drinks: :drinks: :drag: :drag: :diablo: :diablo:

PARTY AT CARVER'S HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :drinks: :drinks: :drag: :drag: :diablo: :diablo:

Somebody should stop and drag Big Nose George along. :lol:

:jester:

I'd be willing to check out availability of accommodations and help with organization here is Bozeman if anybody would like that.

Fred
I'll say it a second time......

If somebody wants to promote having WFO somewhere....they would need to PM the rally master and convince HIM ...not this list. See post #2 of SOME of the things that go into WFO site selection. ;)

Fred
I'll say it a second time......

If somebody wants to promote having WFO somewhere....they would need to PM the rally master and convince HIM ...not this list. See post #2 of SOME of the things that go into WFO site selection. ;)
Someone getup on the wrong side of the bed, or being rude to other Members is something you feel your entitled to do?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.