#1 tesla

tesla

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

Smells like the typical catalytic converter rotten eggs smell. Could it be bad gas? Didn't notice the smell on the first 100 miles after fill up but did the second time I got out on the bike. Before the fill up, I did take the gas tank off to install Broadies harness to replace the spyders and also changed the battery. We have a big trip coming up in a couple of weeks......anything to worry about?
Barry

02 Naked Suzuki GS500. Sold.
05 V-Strom 650 Sold.
08 V-Strom 650 ABS Sold.
07 FJR

#2 Dj Brady

Dj Brady

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

where is the smell coming from?
Bad eggs (converter) smell usually comes from exhaust.
My guess is you've got some road carcass (dead animal) splashed up under the bike.
Wipe, Fold, Wipe. It's toilet paper conservation and we're going to make a difference!

#3 lnewlf

lnewlf

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:31 AM

I had a chipmunk get jammed up next to a head pipe. That stunk.. Riding bud had mice build a nest in one of the cans on his Blackbird which caught on fire as he was going down the road-that stunk. Cool looking tho.

#4 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

:D

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,339 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:31 AM

I remember a bad smell when I first got my FJR.

If I remember from the threads in 2004, I think it had something to do with residual factory oils in the exhaust system.

#5 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

If the smell is indeed "the typical catalytic converter rotten eggs smell" the root cause is a very rich exhaust. Bad gas shouldn't cause this. If it only occurs when cold it probably isn't a problem. If it occurs once fully warmed up it may be worth looking at as an indicator that something isn't working correctly. If the ECU fails to read the intake air pressure sensor correctly, incorrectly reads the intake air temprature or the ECU does not know that the thermostat opened it could cause rich running. The O2 sensor should not play a role in this because there is a fairly narrow operating range where the ECU runs in closed loop.

Have you noticed a drop in gas mileage over several tanks to indicate that you are your FJR is running very rich?

"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#6 JamesK

JamesK

Got to ride

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:00 PM

I know this is not a likely culprit, and the smell would be different, but double check that you've reconnected the tank vent hose.

TBA 904, IBA 27221

nafo01a.gif sfo09.gif eom09.gif groundspider.jpgTBAAAD500Logo-Sig3.jpg deerstrike1.gif 200K%2007CLUB.jpg
Member, FJR Assistance Directory

#7 cruppelt

cruppelt

Will always be FJR rider at heart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Building on the root cause being the engine running to richly - do you have a PC-III by any chance? If so I would recommend hooking it up to a laptop and synchronizing the throttle. I had mine loose the throttle sync when I unplugged the tank connections (as in to get the heat blanket out) and mistakenly turned the bike back on before I plugged the tank connectors back in. Loosing the sync makes the rpm mapping shift = way too rich.
Chris in Portland
Proud P.O. - 2006 FJR1300 AE
Proud N.O. - 2007 Aprilia Tuono R

#8 tesla

tesla

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

No PC-III, dead varments and tank vent hose is connected. Will get it out this weekend and make note of the gas mileage. Called my local Yammy dealer and he said don't worry about it if the mpg is ok.
Barry

02 Naked Suzuki GS500. Sold.
05 V-Strom 650 Sold.
08 V-Strom 650 ABS Sold.
07 FJR

#9 SwollenRaccoon

SwollenRaccoon

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:55 AM

Could also be the battery. They can produce that rotten smell, whether new or old, car or bike.
I ride, therefore, I am.

#10 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:10 AM

By chance, did YOU eat eggs before riding?
Sorry, couldn't resist... Posted Image
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#11 ionbeam

ionbeam

2 FUN

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:55 AM

Could also be the battery. They can produce that rotten smell, whether new or old, car or bike.

If his sealed AGM battery smells as strongly as reported, tesla's FJR has a serious electrical problem and probably won't run.
"It’s a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

#12 BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So? Darksider #71

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts
  • Bike: 2004 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:22 AM

Could it be bad gas?

Possibly.

What did you have for dinner last night? Anything with beans? Have you tried Beano in your gas tank?

(C'mon... It IS Friday after all...)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Peter_MA

Peter_MA

Training Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Bike: 2005 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

It may not be "bad" gas but it could be the brand. I had a Saab Turbo that would stink :gah: on one particular brand whenever I'd use it. Learned to avoid it.

#14 JimNtexas

JimNtexas

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Bike: 2008 ABS AE (Gen II) N. America

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Smells like the typical catalytic converter rotten eggs smell...

I noticed that on my first ride (450 miles return from distant dealer). It turned out to be the heal of my boot melting on the left pipe. :grrr:
'Experience is the hardest teacher, because the test is first, then the lesson'

Yamaha FJR1300AE - Ninja 250
IBA #34994
Chandelle Flying Club