Announcing! FJR NERDS 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, your format is very familiar to me, and it is very similar to what the ST-O guys do (usually 3-4 days, with Sunday the travel day home). There's always an event in one state or another of this kind and the casual format works very well. The more formal an event is, the more work it is and more expensive. Maybe you'll start a trend and there will be a few more FJR events to go to...... and don't worry about the weather, no such thing, just bad gear!

According to some Old Englanders, we New Englanders drive on the wrong side of the road (just like you Californicators).

No lane splitting or tornadoes here. Hurricanes are also highly infrequent this far north and generally that season starts in September. Yeah, by "crappy weather" I just meant rain. But in August rain is usually just afternoon thunderstorms, pretty brief, warm and tolerable.

Not sure what the bike rental opportunities would be. Maybe someone with some experience will pipe up.
I was gonna make a snide remark to the effect of Aroostook's bike being available cuz he's a pansy, but decided not to so as not to defile Fred's hard work (which is greatly appreciated). Perhaps this may help, unless of course you just can't bring yourself to ride on the other dark side...

Bike rental

Here's another one, but this one is in Burlington......clicky

Thanks, checked the sites and they rent Harleys! Even a real nerd wouldn't do that.

Looks like Boston would be the best bet to fly in and taxi to bike rental in Everett. Only a few hundred south of Stowe, that's cake. Wingabago would make for a good steed to see New England.

Will you let me park at the end of the line like the boys did at CFO in 09?

IMG_0057-1.jpg

Sounds like an awesome event! Love the 'format' but don't think I'll be able to make it after attending CFR 2011 in Fredericton, NB in June.
sad.gif

Think this is the way of the future for FJR Regional rallies (Maybe even approaching this for Multinational events!
wink.gif
)

Actually, it may be the NAFO that's happening up in BC in 2012, isn't it Greg?
A rose by any other name......

Yep, you are right, it will be NAFO in 2012 in western Canada.
Good call Fred, but Greg is absolutely right, "A rose by any other name..."! CFR 2012 = NAFO III
yahoo.gif

You could also fly into Burlington or Montreal - both are closer, though Montreal is across the border, which means that any rentals need to have an endorsement on the contracts to let you cross into the the US with them.

Stowe is approximately 140 driving miles from Montreal, 200 road miles from Boston and about 30 road miles from Burlington, VT.

One interesting factoid is that passing on a solid line is legal in Vermont.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, checked the sites and they rent Harleys! Even a real nerd wouldn't do that.

Looks like Boston would be the best bet to fly in and taxi to bike rental in Everett. Only a few hundred south of Stowe, that's cake. Wingabago would make for a good steed to see New England.
Meh... call me biased,. but I'd rather have something a bit more svelte to blast the back roads of New England, especially if you'll be solo and relatively lightly loaded most of the time. We just don't spend much time on the interstates up this way, if you catch my drift.

Everett, MA, is that Parkway Cycles? What else do they rent besides Old Wangs?

Meh... call me biased,. but I'd rather have something a bit more svelte to blast the back roads of New England, especially if you'll be solo and relatively lightly loaded most of the time. We just don't spend much time on the interstates up this way, if you catch my drift.

Everett, MA, is that Parkway Cycles? What else do they rent besides Old Wangs?
Eaglerents has a location in Everett. They usually rent a decent choice of bikes depending on what the local dealer has. I catch your drift and I hate slabs but living in the twisties helps make those big girls dance better than most think. I could look into what Beemers they have but I am not the tallest rider in the pack which makes the wing a plus. Perhaps I'm over thinking the weather protection if it's only a summer shower, but riding wet sucks. If I was really loaded I'd ship my FZ1 back there :lol:

Would like to spend 5 days riding as many roads, states and miles as I can to get my money's worth, plus you locals know the best roads! I'd better start working on the little woman to get a hall pass in August.

Now what's this about passing on a solid yellow?

In Vermont it is legal to pass on a solid yellow or solid double yellow, just as long as you have not recently passed an "Unsafe to Pass" sign. The primary reasoning is that there are a fair number of farm implements that use the roads, and they don't want traffic backing up behind one. But it also measn that motorcycles get a free pass since it's real easy for us to find a section of road where it is safe to pass just about anything.

Stowe is only 8.5 hours from where I live - depending upon route. I'm still trying to work out my summer schedule and would love to include this event. Too early to tell for sure at this point but I'm pencilling it in for at least two nights. May depend on if (or when) I do a planned coast-to-coast trip again this year. I think it would be a blast - some of the most enjoyable riding I have done has been in that general area. I like the "relaxed" format for the event!

Ross

Road trip...only 2800 miles! Great ideas and format Fred...after all, events like these give folks a reason to travel and meet their forum peeps!

--G

Fred,

As far as I am concerned you have captured the ideal flavor for an event like this. :yahoo:

Thank you for your efforts. I'll be putting in for the vaca time today.

Oh yeah, great name too:

lovenerds.jpg

We will be there. haven't been to Stowe for quite a while. We used to ski up there in the 60's.Should be some nice rides.

Here's a little teaser for what you can expect to see in Northern New England.

100_1787.jpg

100_1786.jpg

I took a ride up to Stinson Lake road today. I've been wanting to go since CJ mentioned it was a fun ride. It was a bit nippey, but the views (and lack of traffic) made it worth it.

Won't be open much longer this year...

100_1788.jpg

You could also fly into Burlington or Montreal - both are closer, though Montreal is across the border, which means that any rentals need to have an endorsement on the contracts to let you cross into the the US with them.
You need to be careful about this. I'm not sure what the rules are for an American crossing the border on a Canadian registered vehicle but one of the rules for a Canadian crossing back into Canada with a rental registered in USA is that we have to pay the GST (Goods & Services Tax) on the value of the vehicle at the border which is about $350 on a used 650 KLR. I was going to rent a bike in Anchorage and ride it to Dawson City and then up the Dempster in the North-West Territories until I found this out. You would think you could get the money back when you returned the bike to the States but I'm being told that the boys in Ottawa keep the money. Bastards.