Alberta / B.C. ride planning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
We're planning a 3 week trip from San Francisco Bay Area to Glacier National Park (U.S. for sure and likely Canadian) in late Judy / early August. Following WFO-09 we rode many of the routes from CFO-09 around Nakusp/Nelson as well as Banff and Jasper. In 2 trips to Banff/Jasper, we've yet to see the mountain tops.

We've debating about taking Hwy 6 out of Waterton Park North to Hwy 22 and working our way to either Hwy 11 to Saskatchewan River Crossing or up to Hwy 16 and into Jasper. Any thoughts/recommendations?

TIA,

Roy

Roy & Katherine,

I rode my XS 750 up the coast in 1980, and the transcanadian highway up to Calgary, spectacular ride, friendly local folks who like to drink up some beers Return route was back thru Glacier National Park and down thru Idaho, I skirted Mt ST Helens second eruption and ashfall. I hope to re-ride that route with a loop down into Wyoming. How are your guys doing?

FWFE

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken MT-17 to the Chief Mountain border crossing and Alberta Hwy 6 a couple of times - back in 2007, and again in 2009. As border crossings go, it's about as good as it gets -- quick and painless.

If you're camping, there's a great private campground on Hwy 6 about 2km north of the junction with Hwy 5 - Waterton Springs Campground. The showers, laundry, and convenience store were very welcome after a few nights sleeping rough.

Back in '07 I took Hwy 6 to Hwy 3 and then up Hwy 22 and on into Banff. It's not the most technical set of roads you'll see, but there's enough challenge to keep it interesting, and you get to look at the Rockies the whole way. The crosswinds on the 22 can get pretty hairy in the summer, though.

Hwy 93, from Castle Mountain (between Banff and Lake Louise) to Radium Hot Springs is a great motorcycling road, with a lot of high-speed sweepers and scenery that's out of this world. As always, though, you have to watch out for animals on the roadway. I came about 10 feet from getting side-swiped by a galloping moose on that road, and it's something I won't soon forget.

Roy,

If it was me...

Come up from Glacier thru Waterton then to 22 and north to Longview.

At Longview take 541 to 40 across the Highwood Pass through Kananaskis Country

40 will take you to Hwy 1... west to Banff, Lake Louise

Just west of Louise, take the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper.

Icefields back Louise

East of Louise, take 93 south to Radium Hot Springs, then south back toward the border

If you need specifics PM me :)

Griff

Griff
Griff,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll PM you for more details as we narrow the main points hit on the way up and back home.

After WFO in Moscow, Id, we went from Radium Hot Springs via 93 and up to Jasper via Icefields. We spent the night at Saskatchewan River Crossing but didn't explore the next day as the "liquid sunshine" was doing its thing. Is there any interesting things to see going East on Hwy 11?

And how about East on Hwy 16 out of Jasper. On the last trip, we went West to Hwy 5 and down to Nelson.

Roy

I wasn't sure of road conditions on 40 northbound in 2009 from my map. It was tempting. Glacier Park was still closed off near the top in June that year. Guess I missed a good road.

If your camping, Lake Louise has a good site for tents surrounded by an electric fence to keep critters out!!!! I hit Jasper coming back from AK on a busy weekend, parks were full, but they have a big camping runoff area east of Jasper. Enjoy

Griff
Griff,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll PM you for more details as we narrow the main points hit on the way up and back home.

After WFO in Moscow, Id, we went from Radium Hot Springs via 93 and up to Jasper via Icefields. We spent the night at Saskatchewan River Crossing but didn't explore the next day as the "liquid sunshine" was doing its thing. Is there any interesting things to see going East on Hwy 11?

And how about East on Hwy 16 out of Jasper. On the last trip, we went West to Hwy 5 and down to Nelson.

Roy
Hi Roy - I agree with Griff's recommendation. Montana 17/Alberta 6 is a sweet little road. The best part of Highway 22 is from Highway 3 to Longview, and Highway 40 is great, although often not open over Highwood Pass until after June 15. The Icefields Parkway (93) from Lake Louise to Jasper is pretty spectacular in both directions. Of course it all depends on the weather - I hope you get sunny days this time!

Don't go east on 16. Once you leave the National Park it's a boring straight piece of slab with little scenery.

If you have time (and good weather), East on Highway 11 from Saskatchewan Crossing is interesting to about Nordegg, especially around Lake Abraham - different mountains, different scenery, some nice sweepers, much less traffic than on 93. From Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House continues to be relatively free of traffic and a fun ride, but not as much scenery as you're out of the mountains. Highway 22 south from Rocky is through farm and cattle country, with picturesque views of the mountains 60 miles to the west. Stop in Sundre for a beer with me if you take that route. I can also suggest some nice little backroads west of 22 that come out on 1A.

Hal

Unfortunately, I only had a chance to glance at this thread so I might make a few suggestions that have already been covered.

Although I just moved to central BC, Canada, I have made several trips throughout it by car. As a recent FJR owner, I am ecstatic about seeing this province on two wheels.

Having said that, I am also very enthusiastic about touring south of my border as well. Although I reckon I have seen more of the US than most Canucks, I still have not been to Kings Canyon, Glacier National or Yosemite and Yellowstone for that matter). Seattle is another destination I look forward to.

The two most scenic drives I have ever made (by car) are highway 2 through Montana (the Blackfoot drive in the fall), and the Banff Jasper Parkway in Alberta.

As eager as I am to join my fellow riders in the States on your turf, if you do decide to venture into hockey territory, you may want to consider the parkway. Another option (involving a relaxing ferry ride from Vancouver. BTW, two-wheel vehicles are first on, first off), is the road that travels from Victoria to Tofino. You can stop at the 7 day/week market in Coombs (known for the goats on the roof), the Cathedral forest ( I think BC's oldest and perhaps largest trees), and then to long beach and botany bay on the west side of the island.

Let me know what's decided and count me in, job permitting.

MajBach

I prefer the west route out of Glacier, 93 north to Roosville, then it's still 93 to Elko where you could head east on 3 through Fernie to 22 north as outlined by others. Depending on where you want to end up and how much time you have, you could continue north on 93/95 to Radium and then east on 93 toward Banff. This will get you to #1 where you can go south to Banff or north to Lake Louise, Jasper and beyond. They have pretty much finished the construction between Banff and Lake Louise, not sure if they are going to continue it north or west. It would be worth checking Alberta/BC hiway departments to see where there will be construction this summer. Last summer the B-LL traffic caused HUGE delays, like 2.5 hours to drive what usually takes about 40 min.

We drove up to Edmonton for Easter with our son and his wife. Virtually all the Highway 1 construction is done and "normal" speed limits restored (still too damn slow).

We also drove the Parkway from Lake Louise to Saskatchewan Crossing and it was in very nice condition (still 6 foot snowdrifts along the edge then though!)

Hi Roy - I agree with Griff's recommendation. Montana 17/Alberta 6 is a sweet little road. The best part of Highway 22 is from Highway 3 to Longview, and Highway 40 is great, although often not open over Highwood Pass until after June 15.
This is on the route!

I hope you get sunny days this time!
US tooooooooo.....

Don't go east on 16. Once you leave the National Park it's a boring straight piece of slab with little scenery.
this is off the list!

If you have time (and good weather), East on Highway 11 from Saskatchewan Crossing is interesting to about Nordegg, especially around Lake Abraham - different mountains, different scenery, some nice sweepers, much less traffic than on 93. From Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House continues to be relatively free of traffic and a fun ride, but not as much scenery as you're out of the mountains. Highway 22 south from Rocky is through farm and cattle country, with picturesque views of the mountains 60 miles to the west. Stop in Sundre for a beer with me if you take that route. I can also suggest some nice little backroads west of 22 that come out on 1A.

Hal
Are the beers cold?!?

At the moment, we are planning on leaving Watertown NP on Thursday 8/4 and heading your way. If the weather cooperates, we'll reverse this route at stay in Saskatchewan Crossing if we can get a room. The next day up to the Icefields Centre and then back down to Golden/Nelson. Is there a good source for up to date weather in the Park, phone #s or website? Can you join us?

If the weather is against us, would you recommend any rides to fill in Hwy 22 Rocky / Sundre to round out the day form Watertown. Then if the weather is good go into Saskatchewan Crossing; if not, head west through Golden to Nelson

Roy

Thanks all for the suggestions. We've got Glacier/Waterton NPs' scheduled nailed and northward. The weather will determine Banff/Jasper NPs or just "blasting" through to the West heading for Nelson. Several days around Nelson. Across to Hope spend the night and then up to Lillooet and then down 99 through Whistler to points South of Vancouver.

Just ran thru the area east of Glacier on Sunday. Logan Pass still closed but you know, that 15 - 20 mile stretch south of St Marys, is just so fine climbing and descending the long ridge with no traffic is very fine example of tight sweepers. So fine that I went back and did it again (south bound). Then the little Hwy 49 cutoff to miss Browning is also very sweet with good dropoffs and views.

Did a little solo 2400 mile loop from PDX up to Vcr Island, thru BC and into SW AB, dropping down into Montana and the east thru Idaho home. Easy 6 day ride.

Logan Pass still closed but you know,
As of today, they show it open. :yahoo: Hope it stays that way and doesn't snow or rain the first week of August. The views and pictures will be fantastic! :yahoo:
I am running it West to East and back, early on the morning of Aug 15th, so hoping for nice clear morning with light traffic. We are in Bigfork for a wedding and the groom's mother has this on her bucket list, so I am going to help her cross it off. Wish it was the groom's sister...