Club Racing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was dared to do a trackday some time ago. It is by far the most incredible time I've ever had. After pushing my "OLDE" fj1200 way beyond what the olde girl deserved, my instructor highly suggested that maybe I roll it back a little before I wreck her. I took his advice and finished the last 2 session in the afternoon and walked away "HOOKED" This year coming up will be my 3rd year and I'm hoping to maybe get my times down to where they'll give me my race license. Thats a pretty big Hoping because I'm still pretty slow compared to many of the younger riders. I did buy a SV650 last season that was already set up for racing and have been having a ball ever since. I'm in the Cleveland,Ohio area and ride mostly at Nelson Ledges Race Car Course.Rode Mid-Ohio last year with some friends unbelievable experience, I'd recommend giving it a try if you have a Track near you. Beaver Run in PA. is probably the most technical track I've ridden, In closing I will add that it does get pretty expensive what with fees and tires and gear but if you want the experience of a life time there are some tracks that will rent you the entire set up and all, bike, leathers helmet, the whole sha bang. IMHO if you don't try it out at least put it on your Bucket List for something to do. For what it's worth I'll be 61 this summer and as long as I can still hike my legs up on the rearsets I'll be going for it!

Is it Spring Yet?

#65 Dave

Hey Dave, I feel the same way. I've been off both the FJR and my ZX6R since October!!! Spring can't come soon enough!! Good for you for getting on the track. I hope to do 3-4 track days this year at VIR, and focus on improving technique and hopefully lap times. I need to get a lot better before I even think of getting a race license!

Jim

love the background music...Metallica-ONE!!!
Apocolyptica covering "One" on four cellos.

I very much liked the video except for the guy who kept talking like he was trying to sound like Al Pacino. The racing doesn't need that guy's build-up IMHO.

Who cares about the commentator the Video was awesome. I had a buddy [the same guy who got me started doing trackdays] bought me a years subscription to Roadracing World. It is the best mag. I've ever read. This months feature is on of all things Club Racing. And for some crazy reason, although I don't recognize many of the Riders except the Moto GP guy's with BIG NAME RECOGNITION I find myself reading every article, cover to cover, man I'm even reading the adds. Sheeeeeeeeeesh!!!!!!! I know I got it bad. Hopefully it will warm up soon so we can all get out there and carve some curves. For what its worth it's snowing even as I type this. 4 in. and counting.

Where's Spring!

#65 Dave

That was bad. ass. Makes me want to get a second bike and try it out - something I might never have been inclined to do. Maybe once moving to California this summer, I'll try a track day, too.

I enjoyed the voice over. Couldn't recall where I'd heard that voice until actually seeing a bit of the guy's face. I'm not looking up the name, but he was an actor in the HBO series, The Wire. Also bad. ass.

I'm still a little young to pull an "On any Sunday" move just quite yet at 61, but I hope to do a summer off and hit as many Trackdays as I can afford. Making a East coast swing will probably be my first taste of my living out of my Van again. Seems like I'm coming full circle, lived my early years as a Hippy bumming around America in the early 70's in an OLDE pie pan headlighted 65 Dodge van. I must say though sleeping on an old mattress thrown in the back doesn't sound to appealing to me right now, but I'm sure once the flag drops how I felt the night before will soon become a distant memory as focusing on what I'm experiencing will surely hijack my mind. I don't think there is anything more able to help you focus than rippin through the S's at break neck speed. It's also quite enlightning how fast the 300, 200, 100, braking signage fly's by when your trying to slow the olde SV down from the mid 120's to a 60 mile per hr. range to make the right hander coming up. Also having to stare at the tire wall and gravel pit thats right in front of you also helps add focus to ones life. It's winter here so thats why such a long ramble but like all of us here on the Forum Rippin thru the "Twisties" in Southern Ohio on my FEEJER is still one of my favorite pastimes. If anybody's passing thru Ohio and wants the nickel tour of some of the best riding in the East just PM. me and for a cheap lunch I'll be more than glad to show you around.

Is it Spring Yet?

#65 Dave

Hey Dave, if you really want to start "Jonesin" for the good times in Southeastern Ohio. Go back to "ride reports" Oct. 2009, and look at "Leaf peeping in Southeastern Ohio" WOW! You talk about great memories.

I might need help getting my bikes out of hawk this Sunday.

Pay-backs are a b---h.

Ray #65

What no takers??????

I'm flabber gasted.

#65 Dave
Dave,

Next time I'm at the track I will keep a eye out for a #65 SV and say hello.. I ride a 08 CBR1000 #55 maybe see you at the track this year. This winter has been way too long.

Hey Don,

We'll be at Nelson's on Fri. Sat. Sun. April 15 - 17th for round 1 of the "011" season. Things have gotten a little complicated for me this opener may have to give up my ride for the first round till we retrieve my brothers "GIXXER" out of hawk. It's a long story but he'll be riding either my SV [really his] or he'll be on his "600" and I'll be on the SV, but either way look us up. Their are a couple of us who ride "FJR'S" for our street chinanigus where you'll find us rippin up SouthEastern Ohio on off weekends. I'm guessin that if your on this forum that you ride one, we'll look you up, we pit by the SV section, by Ray's #19 Motor-home. Unlike his motor-home Ray #19 suck's. He's one of the instructors this year, He'll be leading the women and Harley's around. SHEEEEESH!!!!!!!!!

Is it Spring Yet?

#65 Dave

Well it must be riding weather out there in cyber space cause nobody has chimed in on the racing your doing. Is anybody starting off there '11' season yet? This was are 1st weekend in Ohio, Fri. Nite was awesome 64 deg. and dry. But Sat. rained all day and only the die hards dared to try there luck. Rain tires were of no use only those who had a canoe were ably to get around. Sun. cold 43deg. but some what dry. Lots of crash's, nothing too terrible mostly low side sliders, but when you wad up a $6,000.00 bike well you get my point. Track temp at race time was only 40 deg. so you know the tires weren't sticking. Hey!!!!!! Was still fun for those of us who weren't really pushing it. If there are any other racers out there post up what your club is doing....and be safe!

Dave #65