2009 FZ1 Limited Edition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
After striking out trying to get a speed triple at Christmas time, I've come across a new 2009 FZ1 LE. As far as I can tell the LE has no performance enhancements just a cool white/red paint scheme and a seat cowl. Dealer is asking $8500 which seems a little high to me for a 2 year old bike...but much cheaper than a speed triple. Any thoughts or comments? The FZ has some nice reviews but I'm not sure if I'd miss the torque of the Triumph.

Opinions?

Check out the FZ1OA forum, they'll have all the info you could ever want. I had an 01 before the FJR and they're nice bikes. The 2nd gen had problems with the fuel injection being like a light switch, not sure if it was fixed by 09 or not. There are a lot of mods you can do to increase the low end and an FCE from Ivan's Performance tames the injection problem. $8500 does sound pretty high. Good luck!

The bike is not a limited edition per se, what you're seeing is an FZ1 with a Retro Body Kit. In '08 and '09, Yamaha gave the dealers big discounts on this kit to outfit a bike or 2 on their showroom floors to help move bikes as well as generate interest in the accessories catalg. The kit fits all FZ1 from '06 - present and currently lists for $1,229.95. Here's a link to the kit on the Yamaha website: Yamaha FZ1 Retro Kit

Racin,

If this bike is Not going to be used on the Track, the GenI FZ1 from 02-05, can be had for about $2-6k range.

They have a more relaxed sitting position, have a gallon larger tank (5.6 gallon), and have better low end torque.

Check out the FZ1OA forum, they'll have all the info you could ever want. I had an 01 before the FJR and they're nice bikes. The 2nd gen had problems with the fuel injection being like a light switch, not sure if it was fixed by 09 or not. There are a lot of mods you can do to increase the low end and an FCE from Ivan's Performance tames the injection problem. $8500 does sound pretty high. Good luck!
Thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of great info.

Helpful...thanks.

The bike is not a limited edition per se, what you're seeing is an FZ1 with a Retro Body Kit. In '08 and '09, Yamaha gave the dealers big discounts on this kit to outfit a bike or 2 on their showroom floors to help move bikes as well as generate interest in the accessories catalg. The kit fits all FZ1 from '06 - present and currently lists for $1,229.95. Here's a link to the kit on the Yamaha website: Yamaha FZ1 Retro Kit
Maybe that's why the dealer is asking so much. Problem is, once I ride it out of the dealer, I've got a two year bike...

Racin,

If this bike is Not going to be used on the Track, the GenI FZ1 from 02-05, can be had for about $2-6k range.

They have a more relaxed sitting position, have a gallon larger tank (5.6 gallon), and have better low end torque.
I'm not looking for a track day bike, just something a little lighter for weekend fun.

Ray, plenty of used FZ1's out there. I bought a slightly used 08 (6k miles) last year with all the tricks to help it breathe for 6k. Only the 06 had the jerky throttle response so you should be ok with 07 on up.

Great bike, tons of fun but a bit thirsty when playing but the fun factor makes up for that. I did put a Sargent seat on it as the stock seat pushes big Jim and the Twins into the fuel tank. I bought mine for the same reason as you and now the Feejeer does long distance and cold day use only. Really, really like mine for local day rides in the Sierra's.

Ray, plenty of used FZ1's out there. I bought a slightly used 08 (6k miles) last year with all the tricks to help it breathe for 6k. Only the 06 had the jerky throttle response so you should be ok with 07 on up.
That was my understanding as well...07 or later.

Ray

I have an 06 there is no jerking that I notice and I had it for almost a year. Juts like I never saw jerking throttle on the FJR. FZ1 is an awesome bike. Mine is outrigged with biggest Givi bags available and still a devil. Unless you are set on an 09 virgin you can get 06-07 for ~5 with almost no millage. I got my 06 fully loaded with an Autocome and 2 helmets for 4500 with 6k on it.

You said you are looking for trek bike. This bike is fully capable to do track. Hell, I tracked Gen1 and that was a PIG. This is MUCH lighter and more flicable, but it is not a tack whore.

If all you are looking for is a track bike to putz around. You can find a FULLY prepped 4-7 yr old CBR, GSXR, R6 for under 3K. And I mean FULLY prepped.

Let me know if you have more questions

The FZ1 is an awesome bike but if you want a "speedy", then wait till you can get one. You won't be dissapointed!

Racin,

I'm not looking for a track day bike, just something a little lighter for weekend fun.
I bought a used 2003 FZ1 "Bee" in immaculate condition earlier this year for $3200.00 . Only had 12.5K miles on it. They can be found for cheap if you dont mind looking within a few hundred miles and being patient. Keep in mind the Gen I FZ1s are carburetad, not fuel injected.

My BEE

FZ1sunburst.jpg

It looks like some dealers are trying to unload the conversion kits. On the FZ forum there were some notes about dealers putting them on sale for around $800 shipped, which would be less than buying all the replacement parts.

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116520