A BMW that I would definitely own!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you don't either, mah Brutha.

However, hope is not a plan.
Indeed. A plan is in play. Plan the ride, ride the plan, be flexible enough to adjust the plan when the original plan goes to shit.

Such is the Rally, the Rally is Life. I'm still looking for my rally pack for this 'Relationship Rally' I'm currently involved in. Tech was tough! The odo check went pretty smooth and the pre-rally banquets are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to the big show. Apparently the rules have some flex built into them, so a little caution, and some bold moves are required. :huh:
Wait until you get the bonus pack :eek:

My first rally bombed but this one now has been going strong for 22 years and the roads just get better!

Back to the Beemer, I believe it was Cycle World who rode the new Kawi 1000 and loved it for tc that just worked smoothly unlike the Kool aid bike.

I'd LOVE to have one, not that I'm partial to BMW's or anything. I just don't know that I could keep from killing my damned self on this thing on all these twisties up here. Last thing I need to do is whack an elk at Mach 3 in a long sweeper. Crash scene would be 2 miles long! I'll stick with my GSA for now and keep avoiding test riding one of these!

I'd LOVE to have one, not that I'm partial to BMW's or anything. I just don't know that I could keep from killing my damned self on this thing on all these twisties up here. Last thing I need to do is whack an elk at Mach 3 in a long sweeper. Crash scene would be 2 miles long! I'll stick with my GSA for now and keep avoiding test riding one of these!
Nonsense patch308, in the safe, secure and prudent manner that you and your brother operate motorcycles on Northern New Mexico roadways; I think that both You and HotRodZilla really NEED BMW S 1000 RR's!! Really!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
BMW won the FIM super stock championship (as well as a few other super stock series championships) with this bike last year. It was very difficult not to ride out on one when I visited the dealership last summer, very nice package. The traction control system is really advanced, progressively reduces and applies power based on lean angle and speed...for those with Rossi skills, it can be left off in race mode.

This video although not as good in sound, more than makes up for it with clear video track...

I have a thread here... Second bike

and will post the final evolution as described above soon. Video and pics...

Here are a couple of pic(1), pic(2) of the bike about 3 months ago, only a few of the mods listed above are there, mostly paint, powder coat, some odds and ends...

Rhody...

P.S. Still have 05 FJR with ABS, just changed oil and rear diff oil, I wouldn't part with her for the world, but she is no sport bike, that's for sure.

My team of traffic lawyers ALL just got wood..., SERIOUS WOOD!!!

I'll be getting emails from several law firms today, all offering to contribute to the purchase price.

My team of traffic lawyers ALL just got wood..., SERIOUS WOOD!!!

I'll be getting emails from several law firms today, all offering to contribute to the purchase price.
Once it is broken in and uncorked at 600 miles, this month's (MAY) Sport Rider has an article on Graves exhaust, Power Commander, ECU Unleashed.

In a nutshell, ECU Unleashed, makes mods to the fuel injection, ignition mapping to match in this case the Graves aftermarket exhaust, bypass the O2 sensor, opening of the variable exhaust stacks is changed, rev limit raised, idle is raised, butterfly limit at WOT is removed with a reflash. ECU Unleashed performs extensive testing to get partial throttle response smooth. There are at many more benefits of using a Power Commander with the ECU Unleashed that I won't delve deeper into here. Suffice to say, this little (rather expensive) project is worth a deeper look. I have enough $$ invested at this point, but to have a smooth predictable well tuned bike is important, so I may take the plunge after a deeper, harder look. If any of you are using ECU Unleashed already please report your experiences, good or bad, here...

Decide for yourselves or pick up May's Sport Rider Magazine and have an in depth read.

Power Commander

ECU Unleashed

Rhody...

A good friend of mine has one of these beauties. A local motorcycle store recently opened a new location and had free dyno runs during their Grand Openning. He put his BMW on the dyno and registered 182.5 RWHP and all he has done to it is add a slipon. NOTHING else. Totally awesome bike.

A good friend of mine has one of these beauties. A local motorcycle store recently opened a new location and had free dyno runs during their Grand Openning. He put his BMW on the dyno and registered 182.5 RWHP and all he has done to it is add a slipon. NOTHING else. Totally awesome bike.
Larry,

This is a once in a life time thing, I put all the mods on her knowing that it is just "me". Since I was a teenager dreamed of such a bike, with the state of the world today, I figured it, "was time". I couldn't stand the paint on the tank, swing arm, wheels, and a number of other things, I systematically over the course of 4 months investigated and then added what you see two posts ago. I will posts pictures and possibly video soon. Need to get the hang of the Contour HD camera and as yet to be decided video editing software. Here is one company's links I am considering, in case others have already used them, and wish to comment.

AVS4You Review

Avs4You website

Avs4You coupon

Rhody...

P.S. The way it looks now, the only way I can describe it is, it looks like a shark, bar end mirrors, flush front turn signals, back to disappear in the near future as well.

An update, a few extra bits added since first list... completed pictures... see slide show link at the bottom

of the post for close up shots...

I added a stock bike (left/right views) to show the transformation.

Sorry I couldn't find uniform right and left views with correct scaling and background.

To be honest, the factory finish, fitments, color (awful green) had me crying uncle, so I thought, WTF,

I am going to do this my way, for once in my life, and I am sooo... glad I did. Next week will the 600 mile

service will get done. Have been experimenting with all three street modes, rain, sport, race, and each

has it's place and use, for more detail click this, to see the photobucket slide show.

The more I get familiar with this bike the more I like it. The Ohlins suspension gives immediate feedback and can be harsh

on the street, but the harder you push it the better it feels, I am sure it will feel even better once it is

properly bedded in, and more so on the track.

Haulin Ashe... you are more than welcome to stop by if you are in the neighborhood for a spin,

better yet, PM me and we will set up a second track day at Loudon, NH. That is, if the Mrs. is on board with the offer.

No pressure, just a friendly invitation. I know you you would enjoy it.

Front Wheel Powder Coated (red axle, black rim)

Yoshimura Front Fork Spools

HB Smoke Double Windscreen

Ohlins Steering Damper

Ohlins Front Forks

Brock's Mirror Plates

CRG Bar End Mirrors

Greg's Flush Front Turn Signals

Watsen's Flush Rear Turn Signals on order not installed (long story, lets not go there)

Pazzo Black Racing Levers, with red adjusters

Carbon Fiber Front Fender (MotoWorks, see link)

Powder Coated Fairing Screws, Phillips head, replacing all OEM tork screws (blood red, black as appropriate)

Heli bars

Cox Racing Radiator Guards (blood red)

iScorpio i-900 RFID Alarm with pager

Custom Paint, Gas Tank (Metal Flake Grey, matches fairing)

Carbon Fiber Gas Cover

Yoshimura Frame Sliders

Sato RearSets (black)

Sato Racing Hooks (black)

Taylor Exhaust, with Carbon Fiber Cover

GB Racing Case Covers, Stator/Clutch, Swing Arm spools

Ohlins Rear Shock with Adjustment knob

Swing Arm Powder Coat (black)

Custom Seat Cover: Black with Red Piping

Carbon Fiber BMW Rear Fender

Rear Wheel Powder Coated (red axle, black rim)

Yoshimura Fender Eliminator

R&G Frame protector

BMW Rear Seat Bag (need it, minimal storage)

Michelin Pilot Pure Tires

Custom Decal Art Work:

Hot Pepper: Rear Fender, Front Ram Air Intake

Thrust Formula Swing Arm both sides (blood red),

E8 graphic Gas Tank (Black green/red)

oup4w1.jpg

2lcpv2f.jpg

j60a3a.jpg

Rhody... :yes:

Wow....That's BEAUTIFUL !
+1, Gunny; you have done an incredible job on your Beemer Rhody, that is truly Motorcycle Artwork!
beemer, herfjr,

Thanks for the thumbs up, I put a lot of time, creative thought and energy into it, tried to tie everything and make it work together, understated, subtle, but she draws you in. She is going to be "uncorked", allowing acceleration to the 14.5K limit this week. I don't want to lose my license power wheeling the thing in 2nd, 3rd gears over the double nickel on the street, so easy to do. The Ohlins suspension really helps a feeling of security (still fiddling with settings for the street). I am not going to trash it at Loudon NH this June for track day, but have fun at a level I am comfortable with.

BTW, if you ever buy one of these things, pay extreme care to "race" mode and cold weather/tires, the response is super aggressive 1/4 turn throttle, and cornering with (attempted) fine control over road bumps can lead to exciting moments. All the videos you can purchase, Isle of Mann, MotoGP, Northwest 200, Ulster GP, Daytona 200, don't do the sensations you feel justice. I understand why some folks get hooked on the feeling. The Taylor exhaust, even rev limited to 9K makes my hair on my back stand on end at times. Here is a quote I made on another forum I belong to concerning the racers who participate in the races I just mentioned.

Minus incredibly loud engine noise, huge wind blast, shaking, shuddering, twisting, bouncing, skipping, visual and nervous system overload, underneath all that lies pure incredible beauty based on the laws of physics, one powerful machine and a focused, brave rider, it doesn't get much better than that my friends...
Rhody... :rolleyes:

What follows are my thoughts on my first track day at Loudon, NH, June 21st, 2011 attending Tony's Track Day. First, the track is so much smaller than it appears on video, my Contour HD video gives a realistic view of what I believe you actually see.

Second, I was pretty intimidated after the morning intro session and follow the leader for newbies like myself. I doubted I could do it before suiting up for our twenty minute sessions. I was tense, knew the basics,, keep on balls of your feet and hands light on the bars when cornering, no death grip on throttle or bars, don't target fixate, ride at your own pace, yada... yada... yada... Time to put up or shut up. Remember, I have been riding bikes since I was 16. However, nothing compares to this, nothing.

I am over 50 now and am pragmatic in my approach in testing my limits. I had only 1300 street miles with this bike before track day, and none to redline in 2nd gear (30 - 120 mph) on the street. As I mentioned a long while ago, speed for speed sake is not what excites me, it is acceleration/hard braking in the first three gears while cornering or coming off corners. There is no better place to practice that than the ratty road course at Loudon, with on 3 small straights to rest (and pass or be passed on) in between, It is all work on every other part of the track.

After the second session, (in rain mode, only 150 hp at the rear wheel) I started to relax a bit, and after the third session, I put it in sport mode (full power 180 hp to the rear wheel). As you will see in the video,

(split screen) of what the rider feels as he zips around the track. If you watch his hand movements, he is shifting his Ducati multiple times up and down the gearbox because he lacks the motor that the BMW has. I am no racer, but to me, it was easier to modulate 2nd gear than worry about matching braking to a lower gear or slipping/sliding when up-shifting, although it takes a finer touch to do so. You will notice Robbie rides right over the rumble strip when coming out of the bowl in turn four. It allows him to get more speed and a straighter shot at setting up the next two corners. I have given you a taste of what it was like from three different perspective.
On to what I got from the experience. One, I have never been so tired after a day at any other activity, this includes climbing Mt Washington (6200+ feet) in New Hampshire. I was completely mentally, physically and emotionally drained. A benefit of this experience was that for a few days after, I was free from worry (I tend to worry a fair amount) and I was surprised and overjoyed at that. Third, I have been told that about 40% of people who experience a track day get hooked. I am part of that minority I am afraid. I am going to buy a used suit/trailer and sell my other touring bike for a 600cc ripper that I will modify for the track. The thought of dumping that expensive (almost a work of art monster bike really bothers me). Apparently two other guys, one young, one older (both with powerful Ducati's) are going to do the same thing. Great minds thinks alike, eh ?

Hope you enjoyed this rather winded (I tried to keep it short, but there were a number of points I simply could not ignore). If you want to experience something truly challenging, guaranteed to release massive amounts of adrenaline, in a group setting on a track with experienced instructors and other riders of similar ability, then a track day may be for you.

There was a wide range of people who attended, a husband and wife team (late thirties, no kids), older guys, like me, and some twenty year old's who had a great time. Nobody in our group crashed, woo.. hoo... to that. We are planning another track day this fall. Hopefully, by then I will have a 600cc track prepped sport bike and will be a bit more aggressive (but safe) with it.

I took some heat from a poser on my physics forums about the 2x track speed. I explained this is about a bit of entertainment, not about an actual race experience. If you want that, watch Robbie Nigl's video again. Hopefully that same poser does not own an FJR as well, lol. Anyway hope you like it. As I said above it is way more intense than any video you can ever watch, and after the experience I have a new found sense of respect for guys who race, all classes. It was a hoot that I will do again, just on a cheaper bike this time, one that I can use more than 2nd gear for most of the track.

Rhody... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great report. I enjoyed the videos too.

I'd like to do a track day....but on someone elses bike :eek:

I still can't get over how beautiful your bike is.

WOW!

Rhody (or anyone else who rides an S1000RR on the street),

I'd be interested in your impressions of this bike as a public road bike - you know, likes, dislikes. If you've ridden the bike for more than a couple hundred miles in a day, I'd like to know how that went.

Also, any info you may have uncovered about reliability of the bike would be appreciated, as well. I read some early rumours about this mill grenading. It's hard to tell from where I sit if these few incidents come from extreme abuse by the stunting crowd, early manufacturing gremlins, or something else.

I've gone as far as taking one out for an hour (not uncorked yet) and have resisted the offer to take her overnight so far due to schedule and weather. I am trying to decide if this is a bike I would want as a daily rider. So far, I can't say yes and I can't say no.

(...an S1000RR on the street),I'd be interested in your impressions of this bike as a public road bike -

...info you may have uncovered about reliability ... I read some early rumours about this mill grenading.

I am trying to decide if this is a bike I would want as a daily rider.
Well, I don't know anything (first-hand) about the S1000RR -- but, I have read a few 1000cc race-replica magazine comparison-tests.

It's hard to imagine blown engines when the bikes are made to be raced...? :eek: :huh:

But, as to its roadworthyness: in a comparison-test with a Ninja 1K (and other 1K R-Rs), I remember that the Ninja (ZX-10) went 100 MPH in First Gear (5 more to go...).

If the S1000RR is comparable (and, I'm sure it is...)? -- it should make a fine daily rider. :blink:

You might only need 1st gear...? :unsure:

Rhody (or anyone else who rides an S1000RR on the street),

I'd be interested in your impressions of this bike as a public road bike - you know, likes, dislikes. If you've ridden the bike for more than a couple hundred miles in a day, I'd like to know how that went.

Also, any info you may have uncovered about reliability of the bike would be appreciated, as well. I read some early rumors about this mill grenading. It's hard to tell from where I sit if these few incidents come from extreme abuse by the stunting crowd, early manufacturing gremlins, or something else.

I've gone as far as taking one out for an hour (not uncorked yet) and have resisted the offer to take her overnight so far due to schedule and weather. I am trying to decide if this is a bike I would want as a daily rider. So far, I can't say yes and I can't say no.
Ari,

Yes in the early days late 2009 early 2010, there were some reliability issues, camshaft bearing failures, etc... those have all been addressed as far as I know. I bought a 2011 model and no problems so far, my bike has full ohlins and compared to stock, even with comp/rebound turned way down front rear, she rides stiff. If you plan to do any serious trips, heli-bars (which I have are a must). I plan to trailer mine to near the twisties (trailer in a bag) and will be acquiring one of their dual models, sets up in 5 minutes, rock stable on the highway and can be configured for dual or single and it weighs less than 330 lbs to boot, pretty slick. Also, if you plan to tour with it, you might consider a rear bag system from these guys, twisted throttle check out their video. I don't have rear pegs on mine (racing hooks instead) but have a rear seat bag made my BMW for when I need to carry stuff. It is a real PITA to get off the bike because my short legs barely clear the rear bag.

I am taking a trip, one hour each way mostly on the superslab tomorrow for a social function, I have ridden my FJR a few times the same route, and it will be interesting to see how I feel after it on the BMW. I may take a few turns of preload out of the front and some clicks off front and rear comp and rebound for extra comfort. I will report back if I find anything that really bothers me.

As far as performance goes check this

. 0 - 186 in 19.1 seconds then 150 - 0 in about 9 seconds on a table top smooth track. If you are serious about this bike though, you need to join this forum. There are some knowledgeable folk here including racers. As you said you road the machine only to 9K rpm, so you really didn't get a valid impression of the bike. It is stupid fast, if you are stupid with it, it will bite you in a big way. If you approach throttle/braking step by step, I have found it to be lots of fun. After 1500 miles I am comfortable with traction control (TC) on and hard on the gas/brakes in 2nd/3rd gear, mostly from a track day. Next step is to turn TC off and control the front end with the rear brake, one step at a time.
I am 5'7 and have read on the BMW forums that heavier taller guys have issues, mainly with the front forks, considering this bikes power if you fall into that height/weight category and ride hard you may want to consider an Ohlins internal front fork kit. If however you are a casual street rider, you should find the front end adequate.

For those of you who like a lot of related racing video's, Isle of Mann, etc, and racing interviews and stories, you can find them here in the genesis thread about the bike from the time I got it till now. I highly recommend you join physicsforums too, it's free and you will be able to see all the thumbnails in my posts, the number is approaching 300. Trust me when I tell you if you love racing and bikes in general, there is something for everyone here, there are tons of related video's, racer interviews, etc... all laid out for you.

Enjoy...

Rhody... :yahoo:

P.S. There are some dead links in my posts, mostly because of copyright issues, but by and large there are still many to enjoy, when you have a spare hour or two here and there I highly recommend it. I find myself going back there from time to time.

P.P.S. herfjr, beemerdons, thanks for the kind words, as the miles start to add up and my comfort level increases, I can honestly say, I LOVE THIS BEAST...

Latest posts