A BMW that I would definitely own!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my little trip last night, I can say this, I was more uncomfortable stuck in traffic for twenty minutes in the heat than actually riding. The double HB windscreen, and heli bars help, as do the bar end mirrors, nice quiet air for the most part. The traffic was moving at a really fast clip, 80 to 85 or so in a 65 mph zone on the slab and at that speed following the leader, about 6 grand in 6th gear there is just enough wind blast to to take some pressure off the wrists. Had a chance to practice, 2nd 3rd gear quick roll-on's and medium to medium hard braking. It slows to highway speeds in almost the same time, a little less than it took to get to over a double nickel. Comforting to know. The Ohlins fork tie confirmed I only used about 80% of travel. One more thing I forget to mention, the stock exhaust with it's two baffle chambers and variable re-stricter plates produces a lot more vibration at highway speed than the Taylor exhaust with it single can and no restrictions. The only downside is the noise is a lot louder, I would guess 15 to 20% more and about 40% more under full throttle. A small price to pay though. I didn't even turn down the preload/comp/rebound on the suspension either. I would say I was about the same or a little less tired than doing the same route on the FJR, with it's comfy seat and big windscreen and plush (by comparison) suspension (even though I have mine 3/4th's stiff front and rear). Who knows, maybe it was party due to adrenaline, I can't say for sure.

Rhody... :specool:

Listen to what respected tuner and racer

has to say about the suspension on the 2011 BMW S1000RR (fast forward to around 1:30 or so) has has some suggestions that I alluded to earlier. See what you think, then decide for yourselves.
Rhody...

P.S. Above the video there is a pull-down to all 75 Catalyst Reactions video's there is some good stuff here, so explore at your leisure...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new yellow 2011 last week.

It's pretty f'ing amazing.

My S1000RR
XJRGUY,

It only gets better than f'ing amazing... the more miles (unleashed) you put on it. I feel like I have been spoiled for life.

Don't know that I will ever find another bike that has it all, not unless Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Ducati, decide to really up their game to capture lost market share. My shop keeps saying look for a sub 400 lb (with fuel) 1000 cc sports bike in the range of 200+ RWHP. Ducati is having a great year this year, sales up 40% for certain models. Just be careful with her, she is a beast for sure.

Rhody...

Team BMW Motorrad France 99 has snatched the top spot in the FIM Endurance World Championship standings after a top-class performance at Japan's prestigious Suzuka eight-hour race. The amazing achievement marks the first time the S 1000 RR has taken the lead in a world championship. The team was already in a great position, after taking a podium in the first race of the season, the 24-hour Bol d'Or in Magny-Cours, France. They followed up the win with another victory at the eight-hour race in Albacete, Spain.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/racing_stories/bmw_s1000rr_takes_first_world_championship_lead

Rhody, thought you might enjoy this vid. S1000RR versus BMW M3, Mach Scnell!

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded my GS for a 2012 BMW S1000rr two weeks ago. The red version. I have ridden a lot of sport bikes, but none quite like this one. It is fantastic. The stock exhaust sounds super. It is a snarling/growling weapon! Best sport bike I have ever ridden.

Traded my GS for a 2012 BMW S1000rr two weeks ago. The red version. I have ridden a lot of sport bikes, but none quite like this one. It is fantastic. The stock exhaust sounds super. It is a snarling/growling weapon! Best sport bike I have ever ridden.
sportrides,

If you like the stock BMW sound, check it out with a Taylor exhaust, 15 lbs lighter than stock, 109 db full grunt.

The recording, buzzy doesn't do it justice. Suffice to say it was way more hair raising than the Kawi.

Rhody...