FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Meat Cove is on the list.
... with some of the folks 2-up we will have to see.

some of the folks 2up, with a relatively new pillion, on a rented bike... an AE no less! :(

... We Zonie Desert Rats hate the rain, we really hate rain!

Start praying to the Motorcycle Gods! Posted Image

Jeff

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 yamafitter

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

... on a rented bike... an AE no less! :(

Don't be dissin' an AE. That's how I roll and I like it so much I put the Recluse Auto Clutch in my WR450F.
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg
Confucius say: "No matter where you go ..... there you are"

#23 RaYzerman19

RaYzerman19

Go Wings Go!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Last time I was there in '08, I tried to convince my buddy we should allow an extra day in case it rained... no deal, so we rode off...a bit wet, a bit foggy... approaching the big hairpin before Ingonish Beach, fog had already started to roll in. A few minutes later when we got around to the Ingonish Beach side, thick fog had completely filled the canyon.... it was way better with a bit of sun in the afternoon around Cheticamp/Margaree... of course the next day was totally sunny as we were leaving!! Great nonetheless, but variable that time of year.

They had freshly paved the St. Ann's road the day I arrived there, wet and oily/slippy, will be OK now of course. Have to mention that Jeff's plan to back in Truro same day is going to require some time and side trip management... might want to turn him loose half way... don;t worry, you'll have fun either way!!

You don't go to Freddy Beach for the beach....

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

#24 huron52

huron52

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

Pam and I did the Meat Cove side trip and live to tell about it. Nothing to it. A little gravel, wash board roads, hills, dogs, school buses, people in cars in a hurry. :lol:
EOM 2004, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013 KEY WEST 2005, CFO 2005, 2006 CFR 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,2013 NAFO 2008 2010 2012 WCR 2010 SWFOG 2010
Wheaton's Camp out weekend 2010, Extreme ALPS Tour 2012, FODS VI 2013

I got to go somewhere Once smile.png
IBA# 23257

#25 FJRGuy

FJRGuy

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Don't be dissin' an AE. That's how I roll and I like it so much I put the Recluse Auto Clutch in my WR450F.

Sorry, No offence intended. Jus' sayin' that 16km of gravel/hard pack on a rental AE (which I have little experience on and am told it takes some getting used to) with a novice pillion might not be a good idea. Posted Image

... Have to mention that Jeff's plan to back in Truro same day is going to require some time and side trip management... might want to turn him loose half way... don;t worry, you'll have fun either way!!

Certainly will require some time management, but only 40km further than Bill's suggested overnight in Pictou! Posted Image Anyway, not as big an issue if i get the flight changes I'm looking at. Flying in/out of Halifax and gives us an extra day! Posted Image

Jeff

#26 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Thingfish and I are planning to visit Nova Scotia after CFR. We were planning to camp along the way but we may join you instead.

The ride from Freddie Beach to Cape Breton via the Sunrise Trail, is there a ferry ride involved or is it all roads and bridges?

'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#27 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

Cabot Trail really does resemble riding Highway One in California on the Big Sur Coast, but without "pokey" Old Michael with his camera, slowing things down by just FJR "poking" along! jes' sayin'

Oh! good to know. Now I can take the PCH Ride off my bucket list.

And I've got a pokey right here for you, too, Papa :bleh:

The ride from Freddie Beach to Cape Breton via the Sunrise Trail, is there a ferry ride involved or is it all roads and bridges?

No ferries or bridges - unless you go the long way around (via PEI ) and unless there's the odd road-over-culvert disguised as a bridge ;)
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;
EOM 2011; LA PINE REUBEN RUN 2012

#28 Polarize

Polarize

FJR Pilot

• Members+
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

This is starting to shape up to good apres ride. I'm sure I can talk Charly Hoss into taking it also - this going to be fun. :yahoo:

CFR 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, NAFO 2012
cfr2010.gif cfrlogo-2-1.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsc127bb7f.jpg
05 KLR 650
IBA# 35298

#29 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

This is starting to shape up to good apres ride a moving rally ... this going to be fun. :yahoo:

I'm thinking Canadian FJR and Gypsy should have hosted on The Trail this year !
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;
EOM 2011; LA PINE REUBEN RUN 2012

#30 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

This is starting to shape up to good apres ride a moving rally ... this going to be fun. :yahoo:

I'm thinking Canadian FJR and Gypsy should have hosted on The Trail this year !

Oh Oh, looks like I started another hijack.
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg

#31 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

I should mention that getting to the Cabot Trail is weather dependent. Most of the time it is no problem...

Canso Causeway - Gateway to the Cabot Trail

Posted Image

However, Friday January 27th, 2007 on the Causeway...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've drowned my dirt bike but that is ridiculous. Pack raingear.

#32 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Sorry, No offence intended. Jus' sayin' that 16km of gravel/hard pack on a rental AE (which I have little experience on and am told it takes some getting used to) with a novice pillion might not be a good idea. Posted Image

No offence taken. The only trick to the AE is in low speed manoeuvres in tight turns and parking lots. Otherwise it's point, twist and GO!!

It's looking like we'll have a whole gang so those who want a little side trip to Meat Cove can go and we can maybe meet back up at Cheticamp. There are lots of options so as my New Zealand friends say "No Worries".

The road to Meat Cove is 28km total of which 20km is paved and 8km is something other than paved according to Mapsource.

#33 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

With all the interest in riding the Cabot Trail after the CFR we will not be able to use the Glenora Inn for the first night on Cape Breton due to lack of accomodation. As per Canadian FJR's suggestion we will move over to the town of Baddeck and should be able to name a resort in a day or two.
Thank you for your interest in this extracurricular activity to the CFR and I thank you for your patience.

#34 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thingfish and I are planning to visit Nova Scotia after CFR. We were planning to camp along the way but we may join you instead.

I heard back from Paul (Thingfish). We are both definitely in for this apres CFR ride.

'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#35 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,292 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

With all the interest in riding the Cabot Trail after the CFR we will not be able to use the Glenora Inn for the first night on Cape Breton due to lack of accomodation. As per Canadian FJR's suggestion we will move over to the town of Baddeck and should be able to name a resort in a day or two.
Thank you for your interest in this extracurricular activity to the CFR and I thank you for your patience.

Brother Bill, Many thanks to you and to all the CA others in putting this Cabot Trail Ride together. Just say the word and Seth and I will start booking our Cabot Trail accommodations. By the way, Seth and I are changing our reservation at The Silverwood Motel in Freddy Beach to arrive a day earlier on Sunday, June 19!

#36 timk

timk

timk

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

Great memories, everyone should do it once.
"Veni,Verdi.Varoom"
"I came,I saw,I rode"

#37 FJRGuy

FJRGuy

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

Well shucks... I was looking forward to the Glenora Inn. :(
But on the other hand, looks like it's gonna be a great group on this ride! Posted Image
Jeff

#38 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have made arrangements for a block of rooms at the Inverary Resort, 368 Shore Rd., Baddeck NS on the Cabot Trail.
The rooms are being held under the "FJR Riders Group" booking # 242769 .
Toll fee reservation number is 1-800-565-5660
I received a small discount and was quoted $109 per room plus taxes based on double occupancy. King sized beds are available along with rooms with separate beds. We will be able to park the bikes directly in front of the rooms.

On-site ammenities include:
  • good waterfront restaurant
  • pub with live music
  • pool
  • hot tub
  • nightly bonfire (weather permitting)
  • exercise room
  • free Wi-Fi access
It is an approximately 5 min. walk from the rooms to the restaurant but there is a golf cart shuttle service available rather than rolling Don back up the hill.

The block of rooms may get used up quickly but they will honour the discount (for now) and there is currently plenty of rooms available. I would advise booking early since once it gets closer to summer this area books up quickly as per Canadian FJR.

#39 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

That sounds awesome!! Thanks a million.

-Fred W        nerd.gif

#40 FJRGuy

FJRGuy

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Booked my room at the Inverary Resort but then while perusing their website, found a Bed and Breakfast 'Package' for $105. The package description states "from $135 per night" but the $105 price comes up when you search the date. This is in a "Traditional Room" with 2 double beds. Booked this 'Package' instead.Posted Image

Bummer... looks like we are going to miss the "Mussels and Beer on the Boardwalk" from 3 - 5. Posted Image
Jeff