Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x790he I am finding a lot of one minute videos on riding the Cabot Trail over at https://www.dailymotion.com and it looks gorgeous with sunny blue skies in the movies!
Cabot Trail really does resemble riding Highway One in California on the Big Sur Coast, but without "pokey" Old Michael with his camera, slowing things down by just FJR "poking" along! jes' sayin'

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x78xym_motorcycle-riding-on-cape-breton-is_auto Here is a two minute video showing Cape Breton Island being ridden in the rain. We Zonie Desert Rats hate the rain, we really hate rain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Meat Cove is on the list.

... with some of the folks 2-up we will have to see.
some of the folks 2up, with a relatively new pillion, on a rented bike... an AE no less! :(

... We Zonie Desert Rats hate the rain, we really hate rain!
Start praying to the Motorcycle Gods!
wink.gif

Last time I was there in '08, I tried to convince my buddy we should allow an extra day in case it rained... no deal, so we rode off...a bit wet, a bit foggy... approaching the big hairpin before Ingonish Beach, fog had already started to roll in. A few minutes later when we got around to the Ingonish Beach side, thick fog had completely filled the canyon.... it was way better with a bit of sun in the afternoon around Cheticamp/Margaree... of course the next day was totally sunny as we were leaving!! Great nonetheless, but variable that time of year.

They had freshly paved the St. Ann's road the day I arrived there, wet and oily/slippy, will be OK now of course. Have to mention that Jeff's plan to back in Truro same day is going to require some time and side trip management... might want to turn him loose half way... don;t worry, you'll have fun either way!!

Pam and I did the Meat Cove side trip and live to tell about it. Nothing to it. A little gravel, wash board roads, hills, dogs, school buses, people in cars in a hurry. :lol:

... on a rented bike... an AE no less! :(
Don't be dissin' an AE. That's how I roll and I like it so much I put the Recluse Auto Clutch in my WR450F.
Sorry, No offence intended. Jus' sayin' that 16km of gravel/hard pack on a rental AE (which I have little experience on and am told it takes some getting used to) with a novice pillion might not be a good idea.
wink.gif

... Have to mention that Jeff's plan to back in Truro same day is going to require some time and side trip management... might want to turn him loose half way... don;t worry, you'll have fun either way!!
Certainly will require some time management, but only 40km further than Bill's suggested overnight in Pictou!
unsure.gif
Anyway, not as big an issue if i get the flight changes I'm looking at. Flying in/out of Halifax and gives us an extra day!
yahoo.gif

Thingfish and I are planning to visit Nova Scotia after CFR. We were planning to camp along the way but we may join you instead.

The ride from Freddie Beach to Cape Breton via the Sunrise Trail, is there a ferry ride involved or is it all roads and bridges?

Cabot Trail really does resemble riding Highway One in California on the Big Sur Coast, but without "pokey" Old Michael with his camera, slowing things down by just FJR "poking" along! jes' sayin'
Oh! good to know. Now I can take the PCH Ride off my bucket list.

And I've got a pokey right here for you, too, Papa :bleh:

The ride from Freddie Beach to Cape Breton via the Sunrise Trail, is there a ferry ride involved or is it all roads and bridges?
No ferries or bridges - unless you go the long way around (via PEI ) and unless there's the odd road-over-culvert disguised as a bridge ;)

I should mention that getting to the Cabot Trail is weather dependent. Most of the time it is no problem...

Canso Causeway - Gateway to the Cabot Trail

canso_causeway_1955.jpg

However, Friday January 27th, 2007 on the Causeway...

CansoCauseway01.jpg

CansoCauseway03.jpg

I've drowned my dirt bike but that is ridiculous. Pack raingear.

... on a rented bike... an AE no less! :(
Don't be dissin' an AE. That's how I roll and I like it so much I put the Recluse Auto Clutch in my WR450F.
Sorry, No offence intended. Jus' sayin' that 16km of gravel/hard pack on a rental AE (which I have little experience on and am told it takes some getting used to) with a novice pillion might not be a good idea.
wink.gif
No offence taken. The only trick to the AE is in low speed manoeuvres in tight turns and parking lots. Otherwise it's point, twist and GO!!

It's looking like we'll have a whole gang so those who want a little side trip to Meat Cove can go and we can maybe meet back up at Cheticamp. There are lots of options so as my New Zealand friends say "No Worries".

The road to Meat Cove is 28km total of which 20km is paved and 8km is something other than paved according to Mapsource.

With all the interest in riding the Cabot Trail after the CFR we will not be able to use the Glenora Inn for the first night on Cape Breton due to lack of accomodation. As per Canadian FJR's suggestion we will move over to the town of Baddeck and should be able to name a resort in a day or two.

Thank you for your interest in this extracurricular activity to the CFR and I thank you for your patience.

Thingfish and I are planning to visit Nova Scotia after CFR. We were planning to camp along the way but we may join you instead.

I heard back from Paul (Thingfish). We are both definitely in for this apres CFR ride.

With all the interest in riding the Cabot Trail after the CFR we will not be able to use the Glenora Inn for the first night on Cape Breton due to lack of accomodation. As per Canadian FJR's suggestion we will move over to the town of Baddeck and should be able to name a resort in a day or two.

Thank you for your interest in this extracurricular activity to the CFR and I thank you for your patience.
Brother Bill, Many thanks to you and to all the CA others in putting this Cabot Trail Ride together. Just say the word and Seth and I will start booking our Cabot Trail accommodations. By the way, Seth and I are changing our reservation at The Silverwood Motel in Freddy Beach to arrive a day earlier on Sunday, June 19!

Well shucks... I was looking forward to the Glenora Inn. :(

But on the other hand, looks like it's gonna be a great group on this ride!
yahoo.gif

I have made arrangements for a block of rooms at the Inverary Resort, 368 Shore Rd., Baddeck NS on the Cabot Trail.

The rooms are being held under the "FJR Riders Group" booking # 242769 .

Toll fee reservation number is 1-800-565-5660

I received a small discount and was quoted $109 per room plus taxes based on double occupancy. King sized beds are available along with rooms with separate beds. We will be able to park the bikes directly in front of the rooms.

On-site ammenities include:

• good waterfront restaurant
  • pub with live music
  • pool
  • hot tub
  • nightly bonfire (weather permitting)
  • exercise room
  • free Wi-Fi access

It is an approximately 5 min. walk from the rooms to the restaurant but there is a golf cart shuttle service available rather than rolling Don back up the hill.

The block of rooms may get used up quickly but they will honour the discount (for now) and there is currently plenty of rooms available. I would advise booking early since once it gets closer to summer this area books up quickly as per Canadian FJR.