Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I have a better understanding of what the master aprez-CFR plan is, I'm able to start making some of the other plans for the week, like for getting up to CFR and then getting back home from Nova Scotia after.

On the way up, I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday AM and riding on up through the White Mountains of NH and then over into the Western Mountains of Maine, then stay overnight in Rangeley. Monday we'll head east through Dover-Foxcroft and take Rt 6 across Maine to the border in Vanceboro / St Croix. From there it looks like a straight shot up to Fredericton.

Then, apres the apres, I'm thinking that since we'll be leaving from Pictou on Saturday AM, we'll take Highway 1 back along the Bay of Fundy and on down to the border in Calais, then take Maine Rte 9 (as was previously recommended) down to the Bangor area. I have in my mind to get to the Eagles Nest in Brewer for a giant lobstah roll dinner on Saturday night, and then probably stay overnight at the Colony Motel just down the street. That'll be a good 400 mile, 6 hour saddle time (plus border crossing) day.

Sunday we'll be headed back to New Hampshire, probably ride mostly on secondary roads, like Rte 202, which parallels the Maine turnpike most of the way.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.
Fred,

Being a resident Maineiac, I took a look at your plans for travel thru Maine. It looks pretty good to me. No big holes for sure, other than a few pot holes, perhaps. You probably already know this but NH 16 north of Berlin and Errol is an interesting ride to get to Rangeley, continue north out of Errol to Wilsons Mills, ME and over to Oquossoc. Lots of moose up that way and very remote. A nice stop along that road is Aziscohos Lake. No, I can't pronounce it. When you get to Oquossoc, do yourself a favor and go to Height Of Land, A 30-40 minute side trip. Take a fast right at the end of 16 and then a faster left onto 17, it's the scenic turnout at the top of the mountain, an awesome view. Not sure if it's marked but you'll know when you get there. Then turn around and a few miles back on the right is the Rangeley Lake overview. From there, you're only about 20 minutes from Rangeley. From Rangeley, I would take 16 over to Stratton. That whole area is loaded with moose. Then down past Sugarloaf Ski Area to Kingfield. A 5 minute ride to the ski area is worth it. I would then take 16 to North Anson, Bingham, up to Abbot, then Dover-Foxcroft, Milo, and RT6 to continue as planned. The ride home looks good to me. See ya there.

mea culpa!!

First I complain about chatter making things confusing, then I contribute to it! What a dork. :blink:

I've moved my question posts into the two appropriate threads.

Apres CFR Maps for the Luddites

I have imported my Garmin files into Google Map and produced the following interactive thing of beauty...

Apres CFR Map

If you go to the bottom of the toolbar on the left and Google 'Next' you will see the second half of Friday's ride. However if you spend too much time "sampling" at the end location on Page 1 you may not be going anywhere.

The route lines are not 'snapped' onto the roads. I did this on purpose in the hopes that BeemerDon will be following his 'paper map' and ride into the ocean. Also when I tried to snap the route to the roads in Google Maps, bad things were happening.

For those who have joined the 21st Century, do not fret. I have forwarded the Garmin gdb files to the 'powers that be' for posting on the Offical CFR Website.

Please feel free to 'Mix and Match' at your leisure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks Bill, when the Almighty arrives to slay the evil GPS Mongers I will intercede on your behalf to see that you are also spared!

Repent Now Ye Sinners, beat your Garmin's into plowshares and walk forth into the Light, because the End is Nigh ye Heathen Bastards!

https://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorcycle-journeys-through-atlantic-canada On Page 115 of the May 2011 issue of BMW Owners News was a review of a new Whitehorse Press book that has just been released, the review was by BMW MOA Member Bob Sedgwick #164141.

The book was authored by Moto journalists Rannie Gillis and Ken Aiken and is titled: Motorcycle Journeys through Atlantic Canada. If I wasn't riding the Cabot Trail with experienced locals, I would definitely invest in this excellent book!

"June 24-26th, Friday – Sunday

22nd Annual Cape Breton Chapter HOG Bike Draw Weekend. Held at Keltic Lodge Resort and Spa,

Ingonish, Cape Breton. A weekend of fun events with the Bike Draw 10pm Saturday nite. Proceeds to

the Children’s Wish Foundation. Bike draw tickets $50 each, only 900 available. For rooms contact

Sally at 902-285-2880 and mention Bike Draw rate of $125 for 2 (includes full buffet breakfast and

National Park pass). For more event info:www.capebretonhog.com/chapevents.php; or Wilfred

Ramsay: [email protected]"

Things may be a litle busy up on the mountain that weekend.

Canadian FJR

"June 24-26th, Friday Sunday

22nd Annual Cape Breton Chapter HOG Bike Draw Weekend. Held at Keltic Lodge Resort and Spa,

Ingonish, Cape Breton. A weekend of fun events with the Bike Draw 10pm Saturday nite. Proceeds to

the Childrens Wish Foundation. Bike draw tickets $50 each, only 900 available. For rooms contact

Sally at 902-285-2880 and mention Bike Draw rate of $125 for 2 (includes full buffet breakfast and

National Park pass). For more event info:www.capebretonhog.com/chapevents.php; or Wilfred

Ramsay: [email protected]"

Canadian FJR
Good info. Thanks, Scott. I booked the time off but never did reserve accommodations in Cape Breton. Might be a good weekend for a scoot around the Gaspe :D

"June 24-26th, Friday Sunday

Canadian FJR
Oh Boy, Pirates to play/ride with! I am a lifetime member of HOG #US-0433878, Mesa, Arizona Chapter; I'll pick up a CA-HOG Rally Pin and Patch while I am out there.

"June 24-26th, Friday – Sunday

Ingonish, Cape Breton. A weekend of fun events with the Bike Draw 10pm Saturday nite...

Canadian FJR
My guess is that we will be exiting Cape Breton as the Hogs are rolling in. We will be arriving in Baddeck, Cape Breton Island on Thursday evening, June 23rd.

Not to worry, we should be well clear of any Hog parades on the Cabot (I hope).

Don't any of you folks own a calander?? :p

My guess is that we will be exiting Cape Breton as the Hogs are rolling in. We will be arriving in Baddeck, Cape Breton Island on Thursday evening, June 23rd.

Not to worry, we should be well clear of any Hog parades on the Cabot (I hope).

Don't any of you folks own a calander?? :p
Sounds good to me. I can't wait to start rolling towards this shindig.

Not too worried about the HOG event. We should be getting out as they roll in as Bill mentioned.

I'm bringing along my National Parks Group Pass which should be good for 7 of us (according to the National Parks office) if we get asked along the way.

There's still room at the Worn Doorstep B&B in Baddeck if you haven't booked a room yet! Tell 'em Jeff sent ya!
rolleyes.gif

Seth and Papa Chuy have ridden in some incredible scenery during CFR 2011. We loved Nakusp, British Columbia and Mont-Tremblant, Quebec also for their beautiful views; but we believe that New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are even more spectacular.

Really looking forward to the Cabot Trail ride starting in just a few hours. Many thanks again to our Hostess and Hosts of CFR 2011. Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! Recuerdos y Muchas Gracias, The Stanley Boys

Seth and Papa Chuy have ridden in some incredible scenery during CFR 2011. We loved Nakusp, British Columbia and Mont-Tremblant, Quebec also for their beautiful views; but we believe that New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are even more spectacular.

Really looking forward to the Cabot Trail ride starting in just a few hours. Many thanks again to our Hostess and Hosts of CFR 2011. Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! Recuerdos y Muchas Gracias, The Stanley Boys
Muchas gracias, Papa! El placer es nuestro :rolleyes: