Apres CFR Ride 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
For those who have the time to waste a few of us are planning on extending our Maritime experience with a run up to Cape Breton Island and take a lap of the Cabot Trail. So far Beemerdons, Seth, Mem & I are planning to go.

To those who have never seen the Cabot Trail I offer the following...

Day 1 (6/23) - Freddy Beach to Cape Breton Island via Sunrise Trail.

Day 2 (6/24) - A romp around the Cabot Trail with stops for photo ops...

Smokey Mountain

90546347_mPZac-L.jpg

90460137_JkHwW-L.jpg

North End of Cabot Trail

90459924_dZD8f-L.jpg

90459791_MFZdi-L.jpg

Near Pleasant Bay

90547247_LxFet-L.jpg

Day 3 (6/25) - Cross the border with probable night destination north of Bangor.

Day 4 (6/26) - Cruise across the north end of Maine, NH & Vermont with a mid-afternoon stop at the Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory. From the factory it's only a 1/2 hour to Burlington.
I would like to suggest staying the first night on Cape Breton at Inverary Resort.

It is somewhat expensive but worth not having to travel anywhere once the bikes are parked.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Should Seth and I go ahead and book Thursday night 6/23 at Glenora Inn or wait for more feedback? Many Thanks, CA Friends!!!
I would hold off to see if any of our Maritime friends would like to offer some input.

Calling Mem & Canadian FJR to the White Courtesy Phone please.

This apres CFR junket fits in nicely with what the bride and I were already planning on doing.

We'd love to join in on this parade.

That is a nice plan, Bill. I'd love to, but will save that for another time. My plan is to leave Freddy Beach and head to Miramichi and ride around the Gaspe back to Quebec City/Montreal. There will be a couple of overnights on that ride.

As Yammafitter suggested, I'm heading back home along the Sunrise Trail which is around 4 hours from Fredericton to New Glasgow. Once you hit New Glasgow, I can get you back on the Sunrise all the way to Antigonish which we call the baby Cabot Trail. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

On a good day, I can do the Cabot Trail from home and back in 8 hours (no stops other than gas). New Glasgow to the Glenora Inn is around 2.5 hours. This will give you a little idea of timeslines. I would recommend making reservation at the Glenora Inn if that is your planned stopover.

The locals usually do the Trail CCW. In that case, Baddeck would be a great place for you to spend the night. Great food and Seth would also enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. https://www.capebretonisland.com/AGBell.html

Keep the questions coming, you are in my playground now.

Canadian FJR

Bill,

Guess you missed my post in the CFR 2011 thread (about an hour before this thread) but if all works out, my pillion and I would like to join this ride.

Due to our flight schedule and transportation issues, i think we'll need to be in Truro Friday night. My quick calcs show ~650 km from Fredericton to the Glenora Inn via Sunrise Trail, very doable.

On Friday, from Glenora Inn, around the Cabot Trail CCW and then out to Truro looks like ~600 km (about 40km less to Pictou.) Again very doable but probably a longer day with all the photo ops!
smile.gif

sunrisetrail.jpg

cabottrail.jpg

Muchas Gracias Frostbacks, this Arizona Desert Rat is really enjoying the detailed maps and all of the great photographs/information! Are we there yet, are we there yet???

Bill,

Guess you missed my post in the CFR 2011 thread (about an hour before this thread) but if all works out, my pillion and I would like to join this ride.

Due to our flight schedule and transportation issues, i think we'll need to be in Truro Friday night. My quick calcs show ~650 km from Fredericton to the Glenora Inn via Sunrise Trail, very doable.

On Friday, from Glenora Inn, around the Cabot Trail CCW and then out to Truro looks like ~600 km (about 40km less to Pictou.) Again very doable but probably a longer day with all the photo ops!
smile.gif
Yes, very doable. I'm just hoping we get decent weather. The Maritimes is NOT Arizona but when the weather is good the ride is spectacular.

As Yammafitter suggested, I'm heading back home along the Sunrise Trail which is around 4 hours from Fredericton to New Glasgow. Once you hit New Glasgow, I can get you back on the Sunrise all the way to Antigonish which we call the baby Cabot Trail. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

On a good day, I can do the Cabot Trail from home and back in 8 hours (no stops other than gas). New Glasgow to the Glenora Inn is around 2.5 hours. This will give you a little idea of timeslines. I would recommend making reservation at the Glenora Inn if that is your planned stopover.

The locals usually do the Trail CCW. In that case, Baddeck would be a great place for you to spend the night. Great food and Seth would also enjoy the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. https://www.capebretonisland.com/AGBell.html

Keep the questions coming, you are in my playground now.

Canadian FJR
Thanks for the input. Great minds think alike as I was planning on running the Sunrise Trail exactly as you described. My main reason for stopping at Glenora Inn was it's not often you can say you slept at a distillery. Remember, we have a wannabe Irishman with us.

I also was planning on running the Cabot CCW and I know that going to Mabou doesn't make much sense but I spotted Hwy 395 crossing back over the highlands and I am intrigued.

My thought was to to stay at Glenora Inn, go north through Inverness, cross over the highlands on Hwy 395 and then run up Hwy 105 to St Anns Bay for the north turnoff for the Cabot Trail. I did a quick Google search of Baddeck and the waterfront views would make it nicer than Glenora so now I am somewhat torn.

Anyone have a favorite? (I'm still leaning in favour of Glenora Inn)

I'm staying out of this since it's Scott's playground.

Except for: fwiw, and with ALL DUE respect to the expert (Scott, I'd take a miss on the Mini Cabot Trail ONLY because of Seth's limited saddle time.

It's beautiful but it can be 'pokey' - like the rest of the Sunrise Trail. AND, we'll get lots of ocean, mountain and winding roads on the Big Cabot Trail :D

My two cents......

ps - when y'all decide where we're staying, let me know so I can book.

"Pokey" I've never heard that term before while on the FJR. :lol: Just stick with me kid.

Here is a little taste of what things are looking like in the Highlands today.

French20Mountain_1.jpg

"Pokey" thats funny.

Canadian FJR

All good ideas Yammafitter. The 395 is a neat route and you are correct about Baddeck. It is very pretty. The St. Anne's route is fantastic and also freshly paved. If time allows, be sure to do Meat Cove. It is kinda neat to be able to say you were there. Just be warned that that last 16 km are dirt and if it is raining, it can be a difficult road. Also, take the Shore Road when you hit Belle Cote. It is lightly traveled and a great road to let loose a little.

Canadian FJR

The bride and i would join in on the Cabot, let me know where to make reservations and for when.

MEM How/Who do i pay for CFR??

The bride and i would join in on the Cabot, let me know where to make reservations and for when.

MEM How/Who do i pay for CFR??
I thought you got your PayPal fired up ?!

You may send your cheque to me. I have others to send :blink:

PMing you with address

... If time allows, be sure to do Meat Cove. It is kinda neat to be able to say you were there. Just be warned that that last 16 km are dirt and if it is raining, it can be a difficult road...

Canadian FJR
Meat Cove is on the list. I've never been there but my brother camped there for a few days and raved about it.

The campsite on the point is one of the most desireable in North America if you are into camping...

mc_L0F2258.jpg

The building on the far left side of the photo is the Chowder Hut. Rumours from the ADV Rider site claim the chowder and poutine are excellent...

meatcove_L0F2258a.jpg

I'm only willing to try the road if the weather is good. The road is hard packed but is not paved and with some of the folks 2-up we will have to see.