#1 karstenp

karstenp

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

If interested, below is a link to pictures and a brief description of my Talldragger style auxiliary fuel tank install.

This is my second installment of my How To: Long Distance Motorcycle. It has taken me longer than expected to post due to my focus on preparing for the 2011 Iron Butt Rally.

How to: Auxiliary Fuel Tank for Long Distance Motorcycle
Perry
07 FJR
92 FJ1200
Kincardine, Ontario
IBA #411
My personal blog - VisorViewpoint

#2 TriggerT

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Cool. You ran the line down the right side, the same way that I did.

I'm Finding Something To Find.

IBA #464

#3 karstenp

karstenp

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Believe you are talking about the vent line..... Yep.... no issues.... I did put install an in-line filter to eliminate contamination being sucked into the vent line.
Perry
07 FJR
92 FJ1200
Kincardine, Ontario
IBA #411

#4 dcarver

dcarver

FJR Forum Post Whore

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Very clean install - congrats.

I'm intrigued with your label 'Aux Fuel: On for 10 mins'.

I'm curious if a configurable delay relay (on for 10 minutes max) would be a wonderful idea after you've been in the saddle for days on end and might be a bit froggy? (even given the warning light?)

It would be way cool to have a spare QD for the aux tank too - you could fill another fellow rider with gas real quick with the output from the pump!

I wish you the best of luck in the IBR my friend!
Walked away Posted ImagePosted Image Is it really crashing if you don't fall down?--
I wouldn't change a fucking thing; I've lived hard, played hard, and I ain't done yet. I've paid some severe penalties along the way, but the rewards have been so much greater; even if for just have participating in the game of life with utmost abandon. It's not who rides the furthest in a day, but rather in a lifetime. CBA member #1, IBA #31845 and very proud of both.
Posted Image

#5 Joe2Lmaker

Joe2Lmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Other or considering FJR

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Believe you are talking about the vent line..... Yep.... no issues.... I did put install an in-line filter to eliminate contamination being sucked into the vent line.

Nope.
He's talking about the bulkhead and auxiliary fuel line.
Betcha a beer
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 karstenp

karstenp

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

Very clean install - congrats.

I'm intrigued with your label 'Aux Fuel: On for 10 mins'.

I'm curious if a configurable delay relay (on for 10 minutes max) would be a wonderful idea after you've been in the saddle for days on end and might be a bit froggy? (even given the warning light?)

It would be way cool to have a spare QD for the aux tank too - you could fill another fellow rider with gas real quick with the output from the pump!

I wish you the best of luck in the IBR my friend!

A timed relay was on my list of "wants" but I have not got around to it. I would wire it in with an On-Off-On switch to permit bypassing the timer relay if it failed.

I like the idea on the spare QD for the tank so that I could use the pump output to help a fellow rider.... great suggestion! :clapping: .

Nope.
He's talking about the bulkhead and auxiliary fuel line.
Betcha a beer

Yea you are probably right...... I owe you a beer! :drinks:
Perry
07 FJR
92 FJ1200
Kincardine, Ontario
IBA #411

#7 Roy Epperson

Roy Epperson

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Perry,
Have you heard of any issues with an installation like this causing the cracks in the subframe? I'd read about issues with top cases and was wondering.

Roy

#8 karstenp

karstenp

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Perry,
Have you heard of any issues with an installation like this causing the cracks in the subframe? I'd read about issues with top cases and was wondering.

Roy

None that I have heard of and I do not expect to have a problem. There are 4 load points on the bike. Two at the location where the exhausts connect and two under the passenger seat where the sub frame is strong.

Only failures I have heard of have been with installation of cheap solenoid valves/pumps. There was one documented failure with the brackets to the exhaust bolt location. I believe that it was on the Haul Road in Alaska with someone on this forum. Discussed this failure with the manufacturer and was fully aware of it. According to Ron, the failure was due to the metallurgy in the aluminum bracket. He switched material and has not had a documented failure since. Even with that assurance, I still requested that my brackets be made from carbon steel versus aluminum..... I am sure that the stock aluminum brackets are fine but I wanted to be sure for my upcoming IBR rookie appearance!
Perry
07 FJR
92 FJ1200
Kincardine, Ontario
IBA #411

#9 TriggerT

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

You can buy us all a beer after you finish the IBR, and yes, I was referring to the fuel line tying into the tank on the right side.

I have transferred two full aux cells worth of fuel now over the last few rides, and everything works great on my set up. I liked the idea of a taildragger, but after reading about one coming loose in a previous IBR and chewing up the riders rear tire, I decided I would prefer to use a gravity fed rear seat mounted set up.

I'm Finding Something To Find.

IBA #464

#10 huron52

huron52

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

I sat on the fence for the longest time trying to decide which one. (taildragger,passenger seat) I finally went with the passenger seat style. I guess it was more the price than anything. It was used from another forum member. If I had to do it again maybe I would go taildragger....

Very nice write up neighbor! :yahoo:

EOM 2004, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013 KEY WEST 2005, CFO 2005, 2006 CFR 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,2013, 2014 NAFO 2008 2010 2012 2014 WCR 2010 SWFOG 2010
Wheaton's Camp out weekend 2010, Extreme ALPS Tour 2012, FODS VI 2013

I got to go somewhere Once smile.png
IBA# 23257