How to: Auxiliary Fuel Tank for Long Distance Motorycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very clean install - congrats.

I'm intrigued with your label 'Aux Fuel: On for 10 mins'.

I'm curious if a configurable delay relay (on for 10 minutes max) would be a wonderful idea after you've been in the saddle for days on end and might be a bit froggy? (even given the warning light?)

It would be way cool to have a spare QD for the aux tank too - you could fill another fellow rider with gas real quick with the output from the pump!

I wish you the best of luck in the IBR my friend!

Cool. You ran the line down the right side, the same way that I did.
Believe you are talking about the vent line..... Yep.... no issues.... I did put install an in-line filter to eliminate contamination being sucked into the vent line.
Nope.

He's talking about the bulkhead and auxiliary fuel line.

Betcha a beer

Very clean install - congrats.

I'm intrigued with your label 'Aux Fuel: On for 10 mins'.

I'm curious if a configurable delay relay (on for 10 minutes max) would be a wonderful idea after you've been in the saddle for days on end and might be a bit froggy? (even given the warning light?)

It would be way cool to have a spare QD for the aux tank too - you could fill another fellow rider with gas real quick with the output from the pump!

I wish you the best of luck in the IBR my friend!
A timed relay was on my list of "wants" but I have not got around to it. I would wire it in with an On-Off-On switch to permit bypassing the timer relay if it failed.

I like the idea on the spare QD for the tank so that I could use the pump output to help a fellow rider.... great suggestion! :clapping: .

Cool. You ran the line down the right side, the same way that I did.
Believe you are talking about the vent line..... Yep.... no issues.... I did put install an in-line filter to eliminate contamination being sucked into the vent line.
Nope.

He's talking about the bulkhead and auxiliary fuel line.

Betcha a beer
Yea you are probably right...... I owe you a beer! :drinks:

Perry,

Have you heard of any issues with an installation like this causing the cracks in the subframe? I'd read about issues with top cases and was wondering.

Roy

Perry,

Have you heard of any issues with an installation like this causing the cracks in the subframe? I'd read about issues with top cases and was wondering.

Roy
None that I have heard of and I do not expect to have a problem. There are 4 load points on the bike. Two at the location where the exhausts connect and two under the passenger seat where the sub frame is strong.

Only failures I have heard of have been with installation of cheap solenoid valves/pumps. There was one documented failure with the brackets to the exhaust bolt location. I believe that it was on the Haul Road in Alaska with someone on this forum. Discussed this failure with the manufacturer and was fully aware of it. According to Ron, the failure was due to the metallurgy in the aluminum bracket. He switched material and has not had a documented failure since. Even with that assurance, I still requested that my brackets be made from carbon steel versus aluminum..... I am sure that the stock aluminum brackets are fine but I wanted to be sure for my upcoming IBR rookie appearance!

You can buy us all a beer after you finish the IBR, and yes, I was referring to the fuel line tying into the tank on the right side.

I have transferred two full aux cells worth of fuel now over the last few rides, and everything works great on my set up. I liked the idea of a taildragger, but after reading about one coming loose in a previous IBR and chewing up the riders rear tire, I decided I would prefer to use a gravity fed rear seat mounted set up.

I sat on the fence for the longest time trying to decide which one. (taildragger,passenger seat) I finally went with the passenger seat style. I guess it was more the price than anything. It was used from another forum member. If I had to do it again maybe I would go taildragger....

Very nice write up neighbor! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: