CFR 2011 Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of Course Mon Cherie, I certainly know that you are one sharp cookie, as well as gorgeous! But poor Bill and I were severely beaten with the ugly stick, and Bill was the Lucky One that also got all of the brains! We Fenian Paddies are "The Kings of Blarney"!
"Blarney" . . . is that like bulls**t ?

:D
Oh No, certainly not Mary Ellen! The well spoken term Blarney only refers to Diplomacy, Tactfulness, Engagement, Conciliation and Detente! If you Google Blarney, it will refer you to Wikipedia and in turn Wiki states: "See 'Old' Michael O'Keeffe and Michael "ShinyPartsUp" McNamara"!

About Blarney

Many people know about the Blarney Stone of Blarney Castle but the word "Blarney" itself needs a little more explaining.

The Blarney Castle stands in an Irish town called Blarney just 5 miles NW of Cork City. Originally built in the 10th century it was meant to be a wooden hunting lodge. The wooden lodge stood until 1210 when it was transformed into a stone castle. Around 1446 the castle was enlarged and strengthened as it stands today. The castle walls are 15 feet thick and rise 120 feet above the surrounding plains. Men standing in the towers could survey the entire area for an approaching enemy and it quickly became the strongest fortress in all of Munster.

The "Blarney Stone" is thought to originate from the "Stone of Scone" which belonged to Scotland. In Scotland, the ceremony of crowning a king was held over the stone due to the fact that it was thought to have magical powers. In 1314 at the Battle of Bannockburn, the Scots along with the help of the Irish defeated the English. For the gratitude of Irish support, Robert the Bruce gave half the stone to Cormac McCarthy, King of Munster. The Stone was installed at Blarney Castle where it became known as the Blarney Stone.

The term "Blarney" originated when Queen Elizabeth I wanted land owners to agree to occupy their own land under title from her and pay taxes to England. The queen sent the Earl of Leicester to the Blarney fortress to take possession of the castle. Whenever the earl endeavored to negotiate the surrender, Lord Blarney always suggested a banquet or some other form of delay. Thus, long progress reports with excuses were always sent to the queen and the castle remained untaken. The queen became so irritated at the earl's reports that she replied..."This is all blarney!" Thus the term Blarney has come to mean eloquent speech or the ability to influence, flatter, and coax with fair words.

In each one of us lies the "Gift of Blarney" and it only needs to be awakened. So sit back, enjoy a few pints, and speak a little "Blarney" amongst friends.

I did a shortest route from Freddy Beach to Baddeck incorporating PEI and it looks like this...

1232135677_XGEZE-L.jpg

The length is 650 km and includes a 75 minute ferry crossing from Wood Island, PEI to Caribou NS. It is recommended that you be at the ferry one hour before but if you had reservations you could probably cut it a little closer.

It would save money doing it this way since you have to pay for the ferry and you only pay when leaving PEI using Confederation Bridge.

In each one of us lies the "Gift of Blarney" and it only needs to be awakened. So sit back, enjoy a few pints, and speak a little "Blarney" amongst friends.
Nice ! I'll have to work on my own "Gift of Blarney" :rolleyes:
Well MEM, you have a great head start on the "Gift of Blarney"! You have had the distinct pleasure of spending time with my Good Friend Reno John Austin; RJ has Irish Blood and carries Blarney very well! RJ and I keep talking about a Guatemala ride (my second!), I just hope it happens before I croak! Slainte!

Well MEM, you have a great head start on the "Gift of Blarney"! You have had the distinct pleasure of spending time with my Good Friend Reno John Austin; RJ has Irish Blood and carries Blarney very well! RJ and I keep talking about a Guatemala ride (my second!), I just hope it happens before I croak! Slainte!
It was, indeed, a distinct pleasure to spend time with RJ, Don

The length is 650 km and includes a 75 minute ferry crossing from Wood Island, PEI to Caribou NS. It is recommended that you be at the ferry one hour before but if you had reservations you could probably cut it a little closer.

It would save money doing it this way since you have to pay for the ferry and you only pay when leaving PEI using Confederation Bridge.
That would make for a looooong day for Seth.

The money's not THAT big of a deal (?).

I'd say take the quick detour to run the bridge - hit the Visitor Centre on the PEI side - and head back over the bridge to NS.

That would make for a looooong day for Seth.

The money's not THAT big of a deal (?).

I'd say take the quick detour to run the bridge - hit the Visitor Centre on the PEI side - and head back over the bridge to NS.
Good idea, just get the "red dirt" tee shirt and come on back.... BUT, it's just a bridge, albeit a nice one. If you're not going to spend any time on PEI, then why not skip it.

As for ride routes, if there are GPS files, I would like to see if some hybrid routes are feasible, i.e., Hartland plus some other covered bridges I found plus St. Andrews. Possibly Hopewell (sticky buns in Alma of course!) and a spin through St. Martins on the way back, or Magnetic Hill rideby (only for the view looking back on Moncton).... just some ideas.

Good idea, just get the "red dirt" tee shirt and come on back.... BUT, it's just a bridge, albeit a nice one. If you're not going to spend any time on PEI, then why not skip it.
This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown for a photo op at Province House National Historic Site of Canada, the official Birthplace of Confederation and a Charlottetown landmark. We could then stop in at the Visitor Center at Confederation Bridge to pick up our "red dirt" T-Shirts and then run for the border.

Don stated earlier that he may not get another chance to get this far east and this route will tick PEI off the 'Bucket List' and at least see a little bit of the island.

We will be running the Sunrise Trail on the way to the Cabot Trail and rather than retrace our route this would be a chance to see some different scenery. Hwy 104 from Pictou to Moncton is BORING :lazy3:

This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown for a photo op at Province House National Historic Site of Canada, the official Birthplace of Confederation and a Charlottetown landmark. We could then stop in at the Visitor Center at Confederation Bridge to pick up our "red dirt" T-Shirts and then run for the border.

Don stated earlier that he may not get another chance to get this far east and this route will tick PEI off the 'Bucket List' and at least see a little bit of the island.

We will be running the Sunrise Trail on the way to the Cabot Trail and rather than retrace our route this would be a chance to see some different scenery. Hwy 104 from Pictou to Moncton is BORING :lazy3:
+1, Gunny! I Love it when a Plan comes Together! And I think this plan is an "A-Team" great one. I will follow you anywhere in the Maritime Provinces. I will follow Mary Ellen ANYWHERE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe y'all oughta just move this thing to Winnipeg?

biggrin.gif

Good plan, Bill. I might also suggest that before you reach Port Borden, perhaps duck down Hwy. 10 for a bit as there are photo op views of the bridge.... or the next road called Industrial St.... I can't exactly remember where, but worth the extra 10 minutes... or take 10 from the junction 3 km west of Crapaud.

+1, Gunny! I Love it when a Plan comes Together! And I think this plan is an "A-Team" great one. I will follow you anywhere in the Maritime Provinces. I will follow Mary Ellen ANYWHERE!

Paul and I may want to join you on this visit to PEI if you expect to be off the island and headed south by the end of the day. I need to be back in NY on Sunday night. We're planning to camp in or near Pictou Friday night and get as far south as we can before setting up camp again on Saturday night.

Paul and I may want to join you on this visit to PEI if you expect to be off the island and headed south by the end of the day. I need to be back in NY on Sunday night. We're planning to camp in or near Pictou Friday night and get as far south as we can before setting up camp again on Saturday night.
+1, Gunny! Paul and Greg: Seth and I are in the same boat, I have to get Seth back to downtown Burlington, Vermont on Sunday night; he and his Mom fly back home to Phoenix the next day. We won't be camping, but will grab a motel near you guys!!!

I see jwilly's photo of Wayne/extrememarine is in the CFR cover shot...is Wayne going to be a featured rider or speaker? ;)

:D

As for ride routes, if there are GPS files, I would like to see if some hybrid routes are feasible, i.e., Hartland plus some other covered bridges I found plus St. Andrews. Possibly Hopewell (sticky buns in Alma of course!) and a spin through St. Martins on the way back, or Magnetic Hill rideby (only for the view looking back on Moncton).... just some ideas.
Hey there, Ray. Hybrid routes ? There are only 2 roads in each direction out of Fredericton so there are no GPS files. That's not to say there WON'T be; just none yet ;)

I think I already suggested a run to Hartland and then to St Andrews if you want a long day. We can also do a little detour to the McAdam Train Station on the St. Andrews run.

There are lots of covered bridges in NB but I respectfully suggest ... for the most part, they're on very rural roads (which is fine if you're out to explore) and often (I believe) they're on dirt roads. Since we can pound on a lot of miles just riding the proposed routes, I'm thinking we should stick to the Hartland Covered Bridge and the covered bridges in St Martins which can be captured together in the same photo :D

hartland-covered-bridge_24745.jpg

St Martins

389773958_q8wqk-S.jpg

View of Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? Really ? :blink: I'll defer to you, the tourist and guest in our province, but ...I don't think you can see Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? I'd be giving that a pass but ....how about we discuss it over a pop ? :p

This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown ...

From the exit of the ferry to the entrance of the bridge off of PEI it is only roughly 110 km. and we should be out of PEI somewhere around noon (PEI is really tiny). We should have no problem being in the east end of Maine somewhere north of Bangor by the end of the day.

From the exit of the ferry to the entrance of the bridge off of PEI it is only roughly 110 km. and we should be out of PEI somewhere around noon (PEI is really tiny). We should have no problem being in the east end of Maine somewhere north of Bangor by the end of the day.
Cool. I've never been on PEI before. Are you guys reserving a spot on the ferry?