#21 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

In each one of us lies the "Gift of Blarney" and it only needs to be awakened. So sit back, enjoy a few pints, and speak a little "Blarney" amongst friends.

Nice ! I'll have to work on my own "Gift of Blarney" :rolleyes:
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;
EOM 2011; LA PINE REUBEN RUN 2012

#22 yamafitter

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

I did a shortest route from Freddy Beach to Baddeck incorporating PEI and it looks like this...

Posted Image

The length is 650 km and includes a 75 minute ferry crossing from Wood Island, PEI to Caribou NS. It is recommended that you be at the ferry one hour before but if you had reservations you could probably cut it a little closer.

It would save money doing it this way since you have to pay for the ferry and you only pay when leaving PEI using Confederation Bridge.
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg
Confucius say: "No matter where you go ..... there you are"

#23 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) N. America

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

In each one of us lies the "Gift of Blarney" and it only needs to be awakened. So sit back, enjoy a few pints, and speak a little "Blarney" amongst friends.

Nice ! I'll have to work on my own "Gift of Blarney" :rolleyes:

Well MEM, you have a great head start on the "Gift of Blarney"! You have had the distinct pleasure of spending time with my Good Friend Reno John Austin; RJ has Irish Blood and carries Blarney very well! RJ and I keep talking about a Guatemala ride (my second!), I just hope it happens before I croak! Slainte!

#24 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Well MEM, you have a great head start on the "Gift of Blarney"! You have had the distinct pleasure of spending time with my Good Friend Reno John Austin; RJ has Irish Blood and carries Blarney very well! RJ and I keep talking about a Guatemala ride (my second!), I just hope it happens before I croak! Slainte!

It was, indeed, a distinct pleasure to spend time with RJ, Don
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;

#25 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

The length is 650 km and includes a 75 minute ferry crossing from Wood Island, PEI to Caribou NS. It is recommended that you be at the ferry one hour before but if you had reservations you could probably cut it a little closer.

It would save money doing it this way since you have to pay for the ferry and you only pay when leaving PEI using Confederation Bridge.

That would make for a looooong day for Seth.

The money's not THAT big of a deal (?).

I'd say take the quick detour to run the bridge - hit the Visitor Centre on the PEI side - and head back over the bridge to NS.
Mary Ellen

#26 RaYzerman19

RaYzerman19

Go Wings Go!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

That would make for a looooong day for Seth.

The money's not THAT big of a deal (?).

I'd say take the quick detour to run the bridge - hit the Visitor Centre on the PEI side - and head back over the bridge to NS.

Good idea, just get the "red dirt" tee shirt and come on back.... BUT, it's just a bridge, albeit a nice one. If you're not going to spend any time on PEI, then why not skip it.

As for ride routes, if there are GPS files, I would like to see if some hybrid routes are feasible, i.e., Hartland plus some other covered bridges I found plus St. Andrews. Possibly Hopewell (sticky buns in Alma of course!) and a spin through St. Martins on the way back, or Magnetic Hill rideby (only for the view looking back on Moncton).... just some ideas.

You don't go to Freddy Beach for the beach....

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

#27 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Good idea, just get the "red dirt" tee shirt and come on back.... BUT, it's just a bridge, albeit a nice one. If you're not going to spend any time on PEI, then why not skip it.

This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown for a photo op at Province House National Historic Site of Canada, the official Birthplace of Confederation and a Charlottetown landmark. We could then stop in at the Visitor Center at Confederation Bridge to pick up our "red dirt" T-Shirts and then run for the border.
Don stated earlier that he may not get another chance to get this far east and this route will tick PEI off the 'Bucket List' and at least see a little bit of the island.
We will be running the Sunrise Trail on the way to the Cabot Trail and rather than retrace our route this would be a chance to see some different scenery. Hwy 104 from Pictou to Moncton is BORING :lazy3:
cfrlogo-2-1.jpgNAFO-2010pinrev1.jpgcfr2010.jpgwcrlogo.jpgCFR2013signature_zpsf3d5251e.jpg

#28 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown for a photo op at Province House National Historic Site of Canada, the official Birthplace of Confederation and a Charlottetown landmark. We could then stop in at the Visitor Center at Confederation Bridge to pick up our "red dirt" T-Shirts and then run for the border.
Don stated earlier that he may not get another chance to get this far east and this route will tick PEI off the 'Bucket List' and at least see a little bit of the island.
We will be running the Sunrise Trail on the way to the Cabot Trail and rather than retrace our route this would be a chance to see some different scenery. Hwy 104 from Pictou to Moncton is BORING :lazy3:

+1, Gunny! I Love it when a Plan comes Together! And I think this plan is an "A-Team" great one. I will follow you anywhere in the Maritime Provinces. I will follow Mary Ellen ANYWHERE!

#29 Old Michael

Old Michael

Seriously

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:04 AM

Maybe y'all oughta just move this thing to Winnipeg?
Posted Image

#30 RaYzerman19

RaYzerman19

Go Wings Go!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:25 AM

Good plan, Bill. I might also suggest that before you reach Port Borden, perhaps duck down Hwy. 10 for a bit as there are photo op views of the bridge.... or the next road called Industrial St.... I can't exactly remember where, but worth the extra 10 minutes... or take 10 from the junction 3 km west of Crapaud.

You don't go to Freddy Beach for the beach....

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

#31 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

...or take 10 from the junction 3 km west of Crapout.

CRAPOUT! I always thought that was Old Michael's hometown: Crapout, Manitoba, Canada.

#32 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

+1, Gunny! I Love it when a Plan comes Together! And I think this plan is an "A-Team" great one. I will follow you anywhere in the Maritime Provinces. I will follow Mary Ellen ANYWHERE!

Paul and I may want to join you on this visit to PEI if you expect to be off the island and headed south by the end of the day. I need to be back in NY on Sunday night. We're planning to camp in or near Pictou Friday night and get as far south as we can before setting up camp again on Saturday night.
'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#33 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Paul and I may want to join you on this visit to PEI if you expect to be off the island and headed south by the end of the day. I need to be back in NY on Sunday night. We're planning to camp in or near Pictou Friday night and get as far south as we can before setting up camp again on Saturday night.

+1, Gunny! Paul and Greg: Seth and I are in the same boat, I have to get Seth back to downtown Burlington, Vermont on Sunday night; he and his Mom fly back home to Phoenix the next day. We won't be camping, but will grab a motel near you guys!!!

#34 wheatonFJR

wheatonFJR

:D

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts
  • Bike: 2004 ABS (Gen I) N. America

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

I see jwilly's photo of Wayne/extrememarine is in the CFR cover shot...is Wayne going to be a featured rider or speaker? ;)

:D

#35 beemerdons

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

http://www.bmwmoa.or...ead.php?t=51632 Very Interesting! BMW Motorcycle Owners of America Forum has a Nova Scotia touring thread going too! It mentions Ossie's!

#36 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

As for ride routes, if there are GPS files, I would like to see if some hybrid routes are feasible, i.e., Hartland plus some other covered bridges I found plus St. Andrews. Possibly Hopewell (sticky buns in Alma of course!) and a spin through St. Martins on the way back, or Magnetic Hill rideby (only for the view looking back on Moncton).... just some ideas.

Hey there, Ray. Hybrid routes ? There are only 2 roads in each direction out of Fredericton so there are no GPS files. That's not to say there WON'T be; just none yet ;)

I think I already suggested a run to Hartland and then to St Andrews if you want a long day. We can also do a little detour to the McAdam Train Station on the St. Andrews run.

There are lots of covered bridges in NB but I respectfully suggest ... for the most part, they're on very rural roads (which is fine if you're out to explore) and often (I believe) they're on dirt roads. Since we can pound on a lot of miles just riding the proposed routes, I'm thinking we should stick to the Hartland Covered Bridge and the covered bridges in St Martins which can be captured together in the same photo :D

Posted Image

St Martins
Posted Image

View of Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? Really ? :blink: I'll defer to you, the tourist and guest in our province, but ...I don't think you can see Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? I'd be giving that a pass but ....how about we discuss it over a pop ? :P
Mary Ellen

#37 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Maybe y'all oughta just move this thing to Winnipeg Winterpeg?
Posted Image

Fixed it for you.
You of all people should know that 'Winterpeg' doesn't thaw out until the second week of July. :P

#38 yamafitter

yamafitter

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

This is why I was thinking of PEI on the return trip from the Cabot Trail. Starting from Pictou it's a short ride to the ferry and then on to Charlottetown ...

From the exit of the ferry to the entrance of the bridge off of PEI it is only roughly 110 km. and we should be out of PEI somewhere around noon (PEI is really tiny). We should have no problem being in the east end of Maine somewhere north of Bangor by the end of the day.

#39 Geezer

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:42 AM

From the exit of the ferry to the entrance of the bridge off of PEI it is only roughly 110 km. and we should be out of PEI somewhere around noon (PEI is really tiny). We should have no problem being in the east end of Maine somewhere north of Bangor by the end of the day.

Cool. I've never been on PEI before. Are you guys reserving a spot on the ferry?
'Frodo, It's a dangerous business, going out one's front door'

#40 mattster31

mattster31

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

Anyone up for this extravaganza on Tuesday?!?!? Leave early enough and you'd be back in time for the Lobster broil.

3 rides in one, with a late lunch at Ossie's!!

Hopewell Rocks first (Low tide at 8:15)
Then to Alma for a sticky Bun
Off to St. Martins
Over to Ossie's
Stop at St. Andrews
Head back for Lobster!!!
It puts the lotion in the basket.............or it gets the hose.
IBA # 39552
Darksider #30

Uppercan400 8hr Moto Rally