CFR 2011 Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for ride routes, if there are GPS files, I would like to see if some hybrid routes are feasible, i.e., Hartland plus some other covered bridges I found plus St. Andrews. Possibly Hopewell (sticky buns in Alma of course!) and a spin through St. Martins on the way back, or Magnetic Hill rideby (only for the view looking back on Moncton).... just some ideas.
Hey there, Ray. Hybrid routes ? There are only 2 roads in each direction out of Fredericton so there are no GPS files. That's not to say there WON'T be; just none yet ;)

I think I already suggested a run to Hartland and then to St Andrews if you want a long day. We can also do a little detour to the McAdam Train Station on the St. Andrews run.

There are lots of covered bridges in NB but I respectfully suggest ... for the most part, they're on very rural roads (which is fine if you're out to explore) and often (I believe) they're on dirt roads. Since we can pound on a lot of miles just riding the proposed routes, I'm thinking we should stick to the Hartland Covered Bridge and the covered bridges in St Martins which can be captured together in the same photo :D

View of Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? Really ? :blink: I'll defer to you, the tourist and guest in our province, but ...I don't think you can see Moncton from Magnetic Hill ? I'd be giving that a pass but ....how about we discuss it over a pop ? :p
By hybrid, I thought I might make a combination route, however, looking at the map again and your explanation... I think you are correct about staying with the Hartland/St. Andrews proposal. As for the other bridges, probably best viewed on this website https://summerville-novascotia.com/CoveredBridges/

As for Magnetic Hill, perhaps my powers of recollection from 3 years ago aren't what they used to be and I will defer to local knowledge. Probably have to be at night on a side road up a bit further as I recall... Once again you are right, it's not worthwhile or all that exciting.

If anyone wants to collaborate on GPS files, I'm willing to help.

With departure looming and talk about ride priorities, I thought I'd check out this thread for some inspiration.

A few comments:

I did a shortest route from Freddy Beach to Baddeck incorporating PEI and it looks like this...

The length is 650 km and includes a 75 minute ferry crossing from Wood Island, PEI to Caribou NS. It is recommended that you be at the ferry one hour before but if you had reservations you could probably cut it a little closer.

It would save money doing it this way since you have to pay for the ferry and you only pay when leaving PEI using Confederation Bridge.
Actually you only pay when leaving PEI using the ferry as well... cheapest route is ferry to the island and bridge off.

...and apparently the ferry does not accept reservations for motorcycles.

... Are you guys reserving a spot on the ferry?
Apparently can't be done. :-(

Anyone up for this extravaganza on Tuesday?!?!? Leave early enough and you'd be back in time for the Lobster broil.

3 rides in one, with a late lunch at Ossie's!!

Hopewell Rocks first (Low tide at 8:15)

Then to Alma for a sticky Bun

Off to St. Martins

Over to Ossie's

Stop at St. Andrews

Head back for Lobster!!!
Hmmm... interesting thought. Are you still thinking about this? or you doing MEM's Hopewell group ride?

Anyone up for this extravaganza on Tuesday?!?!? Leave early enough and you'd be back in time for the Lobster broil.

Hopewell Rocks first (Low tide at 8:15)

Then to Alma for a sticky Bun

Off to St. Martins

Over to Ossie's

Stop at St. Andrews

Head back for Lobster!!!
Hmmm... interesting thought. Are you still thinking about this? or you doing MEM's Hopewell group ride?
:( Wow. That's 9 hours of MOSTLY slab - ok, take off an hour for the FJR's warp speed (but add half an hour back on for the presentation of at least one performance award).

An hour at Hopewell Rocks (park, fart around, pay, walk down to actually SEE the Rocks, back to bike, fart around = an hour).

Ossies - park bike, walk up to window and order and THEN fart around for the 15ish minutes it may take for your order. Wolf that down, pee, mount up and into St Andrews.

Hour and a half from St Andrews to Freddy.

And to hit low tide at 0815, you'll be leaving Silverwood around ....0530 ? BTW, you'll have to change your Fredericton routing to get to rte 2 - the Princess Margaret Bridge is closed all summer for repairs. But I can get you onto the slab quickly from the Silverwood

Your lobsters and salads will be in the fridge for when you get back :(

I know you guys want to see as much as possible but ... you want to have fun, too? yes? :unsure: (although I guess all the time spent on the Feej is fun ;) )

I'll do my best to help you with your routes.