Avant CFR 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
I am starting this thread in the hopes that people will use this as a clearhouse for discussion & planning of rides getting to CFR.

The other threads are starting to get a little cluttered and this will hopefully make it easier for folks to make plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am starting this thread in the hopes that people will use this as a clearhouse for discussion & planning of rides getting to CFR.

The other threads are starting to get a little cluttered and this will hopefully make it easier for folks to make plans.
Papa Chuy and Sethy Bear don't know nothing from nothing, except we are following Bill F. and Mary Ellen, MEM is a lot cuter to follow! jes' sayin'

Moved here from the Aprez CFR thread:

Now that I have a better understanding of what the master aprez-CFR Cabot Trail plan is, I'm able to start making some of the other plans for the week, like for getting up to CFR and then getting back home from Nova Scotia after.

On the way up, I'm thinking of leaving on Sunday AM and riding on up through the White Mountains of NH and then over into the Western Mountains of Maine, then stay overnight in Rangeley. Monday we'll head east through Dover-Foxcroft and take Rt 6 across Maine to the border in Vanceboro / St Croix. From there it looks like a straight shot up to Fredericton.

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

We'd be glad to have company for any part of it.

Fred,

Being a resident Maineiac, I took a look at your plans for travel thru Maine. It looks pretty good to me. No big holes for sure, other than a few pot holes, perhaps. You probably already know this but NH 16 north of Berlin and Errol is an interesting ride to get to Rangeley, continue north out of Errol to Wilsons Mills, ME and over to Oquossoc. Lots of moose up that way and very remote. A nice stop along that road is Aziscohos Lake. No, I can't pronounce it. When you get to Oquossoc, do yourself a favor and go to Height Of Land, A 30-40 minute side trip. Take a fast right at the end of 16 and then a faster left onto 17, it's the scenic turnout at the top of the mountain, an awesome view. Not sure if it's marked but you'll know when you get there. Then turn around and a few miles back on the right is the Rangeley Lake overview. From there, you're only about 20 minutes from Rangeley. From Rangeley, I would take 16 over to Stratton. That whole area is loaded with moose. Then down past Sugarloaf Ski Area to Kingfield. A 5 minute ride to the ski area is worth it. I would then take 16 to North Anson, Bingham, up to Abbot, then Dover-Foxcroft, Milo, and RT6 to continue as planned. The ride home looks good to me. See ya there.
Thanks Charlie!!

Yeah, I'm really familiar with Rt 16 and the Rangeley area as for a number of years we would rent a place on Rangeley for a couple of weeks of boating and relaxation.

My original route plan was to come across on Rte 2 to Rumford and then up and over Rte 17. The last few times I've been up Rte 16 past Berlin, much of the road has been patches on patches on frost heaves, but that was a few years past. Any idea of the state of that road these days?

Your ideas about following 16 out of Rangeley will be added to my plan . Thanks for the ideas!!

See you there!

Anyone see any big holes in that plan? Any of the selected roads that are worth avoiding?

All I would add to your itinerary is the detail I referred to the other day .....

Mark and I were discussing how to arrange the rides to optimize the Lower Slobovia New Brunswick experience. The St Andrews-and-Ossies-for-lunch being the least of the fun rides. Soooooo.....I came up with a way to do a St Andrews/Ossies-for-late-lunch AND do a Ferry Run (ride 5 ferries on a round-trip through rural NB to St Martins on the Bay of Fundy) and most-of-a-day ride to the Hopewell Rocks (sticky buns and coffee on the way and lunch at Hopewell)

Don and Seth are coming in on Sunday so they're here for Monday's fun and I can my way with them anyway :D But, for the rest of you ....I thought I could meet you on Monday, June 20th, at St Stephen at 1 or 2 pm (which will be 12 or 1 Ontario, Quebec and NE time) if you cross at Calais (Route 9 from Bangor). From there we'd ride over to St Andrews, have a late lunch at Ossies and maybe a very casual 'cue back at the Silverwood that evening. So Monday would look after St Andrews and we'd do the best rides on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'll leave that with y'all. Feedback and/or questions are welcome ! :D
Hmmm... Our plan was to come across Rt 6 on the way in, since we are coming from Rangeley, and crossing border in Vanceboro / St Croix, and saving Rte 9 from Calais for the exodus. We'd reach Vanceboro in ~ 5 1/2 Hrs so just around 1PM Maritime after customs. Are there any other US-ians planning on coming up through Calais?

Best rides on Tuesday and Weds sound like the a good plan!! ;)

All I would add to your itinerary is the detail I referred to the other day .....

Mark and I were discussing how to arrange the rides to optimize the Lower Slobovia New Brunswick experience. The St Andrews-and-Ossies-for-lunch being the least of the fun rides. Soooooo.....I came up with a way to do a St Andrews/Ossies-for-late-lunch AND do a Ferry Run (ride 5 ferries on a round-trip through rural NB to St Martins on the Bay of Fundy) and most-of-a-day ride to the Hopewell Rocks (sticky buns and coffee on the way and lunch at Hopewell)

Don and Seth are coming in on Sunday so they're here for Monday's fun and I can my way with them anyway :D But, for the rest of you ....I thought I could meet you on Monday, June 20th, at St Stephen at 1 or 2 pm (which will be 12 or 1 Ontario, Quebec and NE time) if you cross at Calais (Route 9 from Bangor). From there we'd ride over to St Andrews, have a late lunch at Ossies and maybe a very casual 'cue back at the Silverwood that evening. So Monday would look after St Andrews and we'd do the best rides on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'll leave that with y'all. Feedback and/or questions are welcome ! :D
Hmmm... Our plan was to come across Rt 6 on the way in, since we are coming from Rangeley, and crossing border in Vanceboro / St Croix, and saving Rte 9 from Calais for the exodus. We'd reach Vanceboro in ~ 5 1/2 Hrs so just around 1PM Maritime after customs. Are there any other US-ians planning on coming up through Calais?

Best rides on Tuesday and Weds sound like the a good plan!! ;)
Fred

If you are on the #6 at Topsfield, you can simply jump on the #1 down to Calais. About 40 minutes; about 15 minutes longer than to Vanceborough and St Stephen is MUCH closer to St. Andrews if you want to make that run. Road from Topsfield through to McAdam NB can be a little challenging this time of year (pothole and frostheave slalom course). Haven't checked it out this year but I will be on it before CFR.

Ross

Alrighty-Roo Kiddos, the last part of the BEFORE of The Stanley Boys arrival is now in place! Just spoke to Kelli at The Silverwood Motel and confirmed with our Credit Card, Confirmation XXX21.

And, we added Sunday night June 19 to our Silverwood stay; Miss Kelli is trying to arrange a Suite for Seth and I. Kelli wants these Credit Card #'s very soon!

POSTSCRIPT: I always have known that Canadian gals are hot and I have known forever and a day that Nurses are even hotter. I went to Mary Ellen's original website and clicked on her link for the Silverwood. It now takes you directly to the Kama Sutra! All your Papa Chuy can say is: Hubba, hubba, hubba, hubba, hubba and hubba!

If you want Silverwood's toll free number (which I was originally looking for!) it is 1-800-930-4667. If you want some Kama Sutra and MEM, just click 1st link in Post #1!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=134532&st=0

Fred

If you are on the #6 at Topsfield, you can simply jump on the #1 down to Calais. About 40 minutes; about 15 minutes longer than to Vanceborough and St Stephen is MUCH closer to St. Andrews if you want to make that run. Road from Topsfield through to McAdam NB can be a little challenging this time of year (pothole and frostheave slalom course). Haven't checked it out this year but I will be on it before CFR.

Ross
Ah, good call. I'll plug that in there and see what time we'll need to leave Rangeley at to get to St Stephen by 1PM. That looks quite do-able.

:thumbsup:

In Calais, would you cross the border at the Rte 1 bridge or the Main St. bridge downtown? Google Maps satellite view doesn't show any bridge at the 1. Looks like they were re-building it?

Fred

Ross
Ah, good call. I'll plug that in there and see what time we'll need to leave Rangeley at to get to St Stephen by 1PM. That looks quite do-able.

:thumbsup:

In Calais, would you cross the border at the Rte 1 bridge or the Main St. bridge downtown? Google Maps satellite view doesn't show any bridge at the 1. Looks like they were re-building it?
Cross at the new border crossing. (Don't know what they call it) It has, in my experience, been quite fast. Noonish on a non-holiday Monday should be a breeze unless the guy at Customs doesn't like the look of you.

I plan on leaving about 5 a.m on Monday and will attempt this route on the way out......

SS1000 #2

I'll take a more scenic route back and ride up Mt. Washington on the way home though :)

I plan on leaving about 5 a.m on Monday and will attempt this route on the way out......

SS1000 #2

I'll take a more scenic route back and ride up Mt. Washington on the way home though :)
That route looks OK, but unless you really want to see the coast of Maine I would head a little further north from Albany, NY and cross Vermont and New Hampshire rather than travel the slow and heavily traveled coastal roads in southeast Maine.

Cross at the new border crossing. (Don't know what they call it) It has, in my experience, been quite fast. Noonish on a non-holiday Monday should be a breeze unless the guy at Customs doesn't like the look of you.
That must be the one they were building in the satellite shot. I'll have to shave that morning so I don't look as much like a terrorist. ;)

SS1000 #2

Matt,

One sticky part of your route is where you skirt Boston on Rte 495. That road can be very congested during commuter hours (4-7PM). Looks like that would be around 9-10 hours into the ride for you, so if you set out at 5AM you should clear that at around 3PM. Don't be any later than that though, because that is when the traffic starts to build. Then if you clear that at 3PM that puts you into Portland, ME at right around 5PM. Portland isn't quite as bad traffic wise, but you may have to slow down some as the turnpike goes through the city. Your route shown is the best one, staying on the turnpike thru Portland, then take the Falmouth spur connector over to I295.

If you wanted to be safer you could leave home a little earlier, which would give you more of a margin at both possible log jam points.

Looks like a good route. You'll be able to make some good time on I88 from Binghampton to Albany. Lightly traveled, wide open sight lines. Just keep the RD on... The Mass Pike is heavily patrolled all the way, but 10 over is generally granted. Maine turnpike is lightly patrolled.

The state police all use Ka band equipment. Some states also have lidar, but seldom seen it in use except "special" weekends. There are a bunch of solar powered signs on the Maine turnpike with K band radars on them. I just ignore them.

That route looks OK, but unless you really want to see the coast of Maine I would head a little further north from Albany, NY and cross Vermont and New Hampshire rather than travel the slow and heavily traveled coastal roads in southeast Maine.

His route thru there is on the Maine turnpike. That doesn't get jammed up except the toll booths during rush hour and weekends. Speed Pass is your friend.

Matt,

One sticky part of your route is where you skirt Boston on Rte 495. That road can be very congested during commuter hours (4-7PM). Looks like that would be around 9-10 hours into the ride for you, so if you set out at 5AM you should clear that at around 3PM. Don't be any later than that though, because that is when the traffic starts to build. Then if you clear that at 3PM that puts you into Portland, ME at right around 5PM. Portland isn't quite as bad traffic wise, but you may have to slow down some as the turnpike goes through the city. Your route shown is the best one, staying on the turnpike thru Portland, then take the Falmouth spur connector over to I295.

If you wanted to be safer you could leave home a little earlier, which would give you more of a margin at both possible log jam points.

Looks like a good route. You'll be able to make some good time on I88 from Binghampton to Albany. Lightly traveled, wide open sight lines. Just keep the RD on... The Mass Pike is heavily patrolled all the way, but 10 over is generally granted. Maine turnpike is lightly patrolled.

The state police all use Ka band equipment. Some states also have lidar, but seldom seen it in use except "special" weekends. There are a bunch of solar powered signs on the Maine turnpike with K band radars on them. I just ignore them.
Thanks for the advice Fred! RD's are illegal in Canada so I don't have one :-( I usually just go with the flow and try and tag along with a speedy cager now and then. I may try and leave a bit earlier to avoid potential traffic.....I hate traffic :ph34r: :angry2:

I'm going to try this route over two days.

Geez, how do you post a google route link?

Thanks for the advice Fred! RD's are illegal in Canada so I don't have one :-( I usually just go with the flow and try and tag along with a speedy cager now and then. I may try and leave a bit earlier to avoid potential traffic.....I hate traffic :ph34r: :angry2:

Oh geeze. That's a good piece of info to have before head thru customs.

Are they illegal to own, or just illegal to use? IOW, can one just stash the RD in your luggage before crossing the border or do I risk seizure if they decide to rummage through them?

Matt beat me to it on the Google Maps question.

Oh geeze. That's a good piece of info to have before head thru customs.

Are they illegal to own, or just illegal to use? IOW, can one just stash the RD in your luggage before crossing the border or do I risk seizure if they decide to rummage through them?

Matt beat me to it on the Google Maps question.
"THE CARRYING (TRANSPORTING) OF RADAR DETECTORS IN VEHICLES IS PROHIBITED WHETHER THE DEVICE IS IN USE AND CONNECTED OR NOT."

The regulations are by province - not illegal everywhere in Canada. Unfortunately, NB is one place where they are not allowed. You would get a fine if stopped by the police - even with it disconnected. They might even confiscate (not sure). Not sure if they would do anything at Customs or not but I wouldn't take a chance without calling ahead to check.

Ross