Avant CFR 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try this route over two days.

Geez, how do you post a google route link?
There is a link at the top right on the google map page. Copy the code for the direct link and paste it in the box after you click on the "insert link" icon when posting.

Mattster
Thanks Mattster. I did do that but it didn't work. Since then I have noticed that smaller route links will paste in and show up ok. There must a limit with this forum software that prevents posting long links like the google routes.

I'll have to try splitting it up or something else.

Thanks Mattster. I did do that but it didn't work. Since then I have noticed that smaller route links will paste in and show up ok. There must a limit with this forum software that prevents posting long links like the google routes.

Don't try and paste the link directly into the post.

Instead, click on the little link icon in the reply menu bar and enter your link in the URL field and an alias description in the "link text" field

Thanks Ross. Good to know. The radar detector shall stay home for CFR.
As far as I know radar detectors are legal in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and BC, and illegal everywhere else in Canada. I think the border people usually have little interest in enforcing provincial traffic laws which are all slightly different. I have already passed through customs three times with a radar detector but it was stowed away in my saddlebags, not hooked up or operating and they never asked. I really don't think you would have a problem transporting a radar detector as long as it is stowed away, but leave your guns at home!

Don't try and paste the link directly into the post.

Instead, click on the little link icon in the reply menu bar and enter your link in the URL field and an alias description in the "link text" field
That's what I always do, but linky no worky with long links. :(

Well finally. I split the route in two and now both linkys worky.

I'm planning on riding this route or very a similar one in two days and stopping overnight in Vermont or New Hampshire.

It picks up some roads I liked in the past:

Tracy Road NY

118 NH

Bear Notch Road NH

Hurricane Mountain Rd. NH

Route part 1

Route part 2

I'm hoping to share accommodations (roadside motel).

Anyone?

I'll probably ride a very similar route back. I'm inclined to go around the Bay of Fundy this time out instead of doing Cabot Trail again, but I'm not sure that is worthwhile.

Hi John,

I was also planning a 2 day run out to CFR. Looks like we are going the same roads at the same time. Wanna ride together? I'll split you on a motel room.

Mike

Hi John,

I was also planning a 2 day run out to CFR. Looks like we are going the same roads at the same time. Wanna ride together? I'll split you on a motel room.

Mike
Sure. We'll talk later. BTW I was planning on going to your place for your Friday 13th invitational.

Fred,

Being a resident Maineiac, I took a look at your plans for travel thru Maine. It looks pretty good to me. No big holes for sure, other than a few pot holes, perhaps. You probably already know this but NH 16 north of Berlin and Errol is an interesting ride to get to Rangeley, continue north out of Errol to Wilsons Mills, ME and over to Oquossoc. Lots of moose up that way and very remote. A nice stop along that road is Aziscohos Lake. No, I can't pronounce it. When you get to Oquossoc, do yourself a favor and go to Height Of Land, A 30-40 minute side trip. Take a fast right at the end of 16 and then a faster left onto 17, it's the scenic turnout at the top of the mountain, an awesome view. Not sure if it's marked but you'll know when you get there. Then turn around and a few miles back on the right is the Rangeley Lake overview. From there, you're only about 20 minutes from Rangeley. From Rangeley, I would take 16 over to Stratton. That whole area is loaded with moose. Then down past Sugarloaf Ski Area to Kingfield. A 5 minute ride to the ski area is worth it. I would then take 16 to North Anson, Bingham, up to Abbot, then Dover-Foxcroft, Milo, and RT6 to continue as planned. The ride home looks good to me. See ya there.
Thanks Charlie!!

Yeah, I'm really familiar with Rt 16 and the Rangeley area as for a number of years we would rent a place on Rangeley for a couple of weeks of boating and relaxation.

My original route plan was to come across on Rte 2 to Rumford and then up and over Rte 17. The last few times I've been up Rte 16 past Berlin, much of the road has been patches on patches on frost heaves, but that was a few years past. Any idea of the state of that road these days?

Your ideas about following 16 out of Rangeley will be added to my plan . Thanks for the ideas!!

See you there!
Fred, Amanda and I are planning to attend the Loudon Classic on sat & sun. Maybe we can link up with you for the ride over to N.B.?!?! We will be staying near Concord starting on friday.

Fred, Amanda and I are planning to attend the Loudon Classic on sat & sun. Maybe we can link up with you for the ride over to N.B.?!?! We will be staying near Concord starting on friday.
So....does this mean you and Amanda are coming to CFR ?! Groovy! :D

But you're not yet registered, correct ?

Our current plan is to ride up through the NH and Maine mountains on Sunday with Geezer and thingfish, then staying overnight in Rangeley ME on Sunday night.

Monday AM we'll be hooking up with bbdig and a couple of other guys and head across Maine to St Stephen, NB for the meet-up with MEM and the gang.

If you want to jump in somewheres along there let me know, or maybe we will just see you in St Stephen (other side of border from Calais, ME) on Monday? I think they are looking to make it about a ~ 1PM (Eastern time) rendezvous.

YES! We are still working out the details for the babysitter, with all the snow days this year, it's still unclear when exactly the last day of school is. Our school system has poor communication with the parents. I just want to be %100 sure before we commit.

YES! We are still working out the details for the babysitter, with all the snow days this year, it's still unclear when exactly the last day of school is. Our school system has poor communication with the parents. I just want to be %100 sure before we commit.
:yahoo:

I'm just to put out the deadline for ordering a vest. Keep in touch?

We may hit 40 people yet :)

Thanks Ross. Good to know. The radar detector shall stay home for CFR.
No one at the border is going to care about a Radar detector in your saddle bags. And I've never heard of a US person coming into Canada getting searched unless they are suspected of bringing in drugs. Canadian Border is primarily concerned with dinging Canadians with duty and tax.

As for while your in Canada. I've never heard of anyone getting searched on the side of the road or loosing a radar detector. Cops are far more easy going here than in the US. No one is going to pull a gun on you like they did me last year for a simple driving infraction. If while your here your going to be taking a more spirited ride, you could always leave it in the hotel, but I wouldn't be concerned.

Hi John,

Mike

John and Mike.............when are you guys thinking of leaving??? Sunday???
We're planning on leaving Sunday for the two day ride.

Aside from that, I'll be looking to share with someone at the rally. Mike is sharing with Scott at the rally.

No one at the border is going to care about a Radar detector in your saddle bags. And I've never heard of a US person coming into Canada getting searched unless they are suspected of bringing in drugs.
Paging Charlie Hoss, Polarize and sullivan to the white courtesy phone, please :huh:

As for while your in Canada. I've never heard of anyone getting searched on the side of the road or loosing a radar detector. Cops are far more easy going here than in the US. No one is going to pull a gun on you like they did me last year for a simple driving infraction. If while your here your going to be taking a more spirited ride, you could always leave it in the hotel, but I wouldn't be concerned.
Hey maddad! you a poh-leece man or sumthin' ? I'm sure there are lots of people getting searched and having stuff confiscated that I never hear of :blink:

As far as LEOs being more easy going here than in the US, thankfully, I can't speak to that. Well....except for crossing the border last month when I mentioned 'Fairlaner' and 'beemerdons' and I was 'detained' for about half an hour :unsure:

Er....um... WE take spirited rides all the time ( :yahoo: ) and we don't use no steenking radar detector. And riding to Cape Breton, you can't leave your RD in your motel room.

Leave the RD at home, Freddy ! Just sayin' ;)

To be honest, on this trip it really won't be a hardship to not have an RD. In the group rides it'll be the ride leader that gets all the awards. Riding to and fro I'm planning on sticking to the two lanes so not as many "opportunities" for awards there anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. ;)

In the group rides it'll be the ride leader that gets all the awards. Thanks for the suggestions. ;)
As maddad pointed out, here in Canuckistan the police are more easy going. They'll gladly split a ticket 10 or 15 ways

You know I'm just playin' with ya :p

As maddad pointed out, here in Canuckistan the police are more easy going. They'll gladly split a ticket 10 or 15 ways

You know I'm just playin' with ya :p
Well, your subterfuge is not going to work this time, missy. You're not going to scare us into staying home.

Nope, you're stuck with us for the whole week! :p