Avant CFR 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet." :glare: What's to 'panic' about?! June weather is beautiful. The forecast is fine. I'm most concerned about the lobster boil since we're eating outside. And besides - beemerdons has a big room. If it rains, we'll just eat in there :p
Party in Papa's room!

Amanda and I are staying at a friends house just outside Keene N.H. on Sat night, then checking out the races at Loudon. From there we are staying at Sebago Lake Sun night, then heading east Mon morning I-95 to rt. 9 for the border crossing. If anybody sees issues with our route or crosses anyones path, give us a shout.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK time for some early CFR planning. :rolleyes:

Thought I might amble down to Rangeley Maine on Sunday and join FredW and the MEM parade next day if that's all right.

There! Planning all done /looks up Rangeley

Getting tight on space at the camp, but have one rollaway bed unspoken for. Having BBQ ribs , potatoe salad and salad along with Labatts Blue for dinner Sunday about 6PM :yahoo:

Amanda and I are staying at a friends house just outside Concord N.H. on Sat night, then checking out the races at Loudon. From there we are staying at Sebago Lake Sun night, then heading east Mon morning I-95 to rt. 9 for the border crossing. If anybody sees issues with our route or crosses anyones path, give us a shout.
You'll hit route 9 at Brewer -minutes from Bangor. If it's lunchtime, do NOT ride past the Eagles Nest Restaurant on the lefthand side going north. The Best Lobster Roll Ever:

981038052_u2CFx-S.jpg

981037575_tLGm9-S.jpg

For those planning on riding from Rangeley, ME to St Stephen, NB on Monday AM, we will be getting on the road bright and early, kickstands up at 7AM, and then stopping for some breakfast somewhere along the way.

Mapsource tells me that it's about 5 hours of saddle time to St Stephen (and it is usually pretty accurate), so with a quick breakfast and the border cross we should roll in there at around 1PM Eastern time (2 PM Atlantic)

The route is really nothing fancy, just east on Rte 16 as far as Lagrange, then Rte 6 to Topsfield, then Rte 1 south to the border cross at Calais. MEM said she would meet us just after the border somewhere.

Looks like this: Clicky

PS - Just made the mistake of checking the Fredericton 10 day weather forecast. Does it ever do anything but rain up there? :(

Fred rt 16 was partly washed out a week and a half ago, just outside of Rangeley. It was one lane in spots. I believe it has been filled in put not paved, may want to look at rt4 to 142 to kingfield. :huh:

Amanda and I are staying at a friends house just outside Concord N.H. on Sat night, then checking out the races at Loudon. From there we are staying at Sebago Lake Sun night, then heading east Mon morning I-95 to rt. 9 for the border crossing. If anybody sees issues with our route or crosses anyones path, give us a shout.
You'll hit route 9 at Brewer -minutes from Bangor. If it's lunchtime, do NOT ride past the Eagles Nest Restaurant on the lefthand side going north. The Best Lobster Roll Ever:
Thanks, Mary-Ellen! Now we don't have to find a place for lunch! I love lobster!! :yahoo:

"...I don't think there's any point in panicking - yet." :glare: What's to 'panic' about?! June weather is beautiful. The forecast is fine. I'm most concerned about the lobster boil since we're eating outside. And besides - beemerdons has a big room. If it rains, we'll just eat in there :p
Party in Papa's room!
Be careful what you wish for, Papa ;)

Hey Fred! I know 16's a very beautiful route and IIRC, little in the way of towns/reduced speed limits. Did you look at 2 to Newport, slab to Brewer and then up rte 9 aka "the airline" . Google Maps clocks that at 4 hours, 30 minutes

IF we stick to Plan A, it'd be 3pm before we'd be at Ossies. Having said that, it's YOUR adventure and I'm sure I can find things to do for an extra hour or so in the morning ;) (prolly pizza for dinner - a la Freeport :D )
I have both routes mapped out and in my GPS. I will leave it up to the crowd for us to either leave Rangeley 1/2 hour earlier (6:30 AM) or else take the faster route up Rte 9. Either way that will put us at the Rte 1 border crossing right around 12:30 Eastern time.

+100 on that. Joann and I are planning on hitting the Eagle's Nest for dinner on our way back home, Saturday night aprez the Aprez CFR Cabot trail ride. We've booked ourselves into a motel room just up the street at the Colony Motel on Rte 9. Supposed to be a great little Mom and Pop place.

Fred rt 16 was partly washed out a week and a half ago, just outside of Rangeley. It was one lane in spots. I believe it has been filled in put not paved, may want to look at rt4 to 142 to kingfield. :huh:
OK, thanks Jack. I've modified that part of the route and also made the quicker route per above. We can decide which way everyone wants to go on Sunday night. Might also depend on the weather. No point taking the scenic route if it's wet. ;)

I'm heading out Saturday morning around 8, crossing at the Thousand Islands bridge, and taking in the the best of the Adirondacks, Green and White mountains for a three day trip, no computer, no cell. I thought about going out with the Rangeley crowd but getting on the road by 6:30 am in Rangeley is not going to happen for me. One more sleep and out the door I go! :yahoo:

See you all Monday night!

I'm heading out Saturday morning around 8, crossing at the Thousand Islands bridge, and taking in the the best of the Adirondacks, Green and White mountains for a three day trip, no computer, no cell. I thought about going out with the Rangeley crowd but getting on the road by 6:30 am in Rangeley is not going to happen for me. One more sleep and out the door I go! :yahoo:

See you all Monday night!
Safe ride, John. Looking forward to meeting you :)

Well as Scott would say "1 more sleep" and I head off to Rangeley Maine in the am. Nothing fancy, I'll aim for Magog and head south and east from there, somewhere. :)

See you all soon I hope

Geezer and Paul arrived yesterday evening.

We're getting breakfast'ed up and then we'll be heading out for a eastern NH tour to Rangeley.

See y'all there!!

Geezer and Paul arrived yesterday evening.

We're getting breakfast'ed up and then we'll be heading out for a eastern NH tour to Rangeley.

See y'all there!!
In the words of Canadian FJR ....

One more sleep !

:yahoo: