FJRF009.0: Ground Spider Research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I added my vote, but with a not-necessarily-fried ground, just a corroding one that seemed to be working fine. Used 320 and 600 grit emery for little buffing and No-Ox and reassembled. We'll see.

Just got a call from my dealer. Yamaha is replacing the wiring harness. I'd printed out details from one of the FJR forums (I think it was FJRiders) with some details and pictures to help them out. Got a thank you from the Service Manager for that tidbit, so thanks to all of you who've done all that work. They indicated that I should be back on the road sometime early next week as they had to order the harness. Now I'm off to report the issue to NHTSA - one of you had provided a link in this thread so I'll use that. I've also voted since I now know the precise problem. Thanks to all for identifying the symptoms, problem and solution.

Add another piece of shit to the list. I filled out the survey yesterday and didn't read (only if your bike is affected). Well, got up early to head for Arkansas and a 800 mile day trip.. Stop about 70 miles from home for breakfast. When I got on my bike to leave the headlight would not come on, the turn indicators where lite, and the high beam indicator would come on when you tried the turn signal.

It looks like mine is affected now. :angry2: :angry2:

The bike made it home fine without lights, horn, windscreen motor, turn signals. I pulled the tank and found the "spider". I was hoping for a burnt connection.. But mine looked fine...

Anyone fine a problem elsewhere???

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Add another piece of shit to the list. I filled out the survey yesterday and didn't read (only if your bike is affected). Well, got up early to head for Arkansas and a 800 mile day trip.. Stop about 70 miles from home for breakfast. When I got on my bike to leave the headlight would not come on, the turn indicators where lite, and the high beam indicator would come on when you tried the turn signal.
It looks like mine is affected now. :angry2: :angry2:

The bike made it home fine without lights, horn, windscreen motor, turn signals. I pulled the tank and fould the "spider". I was hoping for a burnt connection.. But mine looked fine...

Anyone fine a problem elsewhere???

Smitty
Time for a BMW...(looking at calender) :)

Seriously though, sorry about the gremlin. :(

Shop call me this am. Yamaha is replacing the entire harness and wants the old one sent home to study. Odds are a safety recall may happen as burning connectors under the fuel tank are contraindicated.

Ya wanna bet I'll have to do it again with the new redesigned recall upgrade?

My dealer called yesterday to let me know that the harness he order last week was on back order and that it would been two more weeks before he received it. I let him know that I'd figured that that just might happen and that I was greatly disappointed. Bless his heart, he called today to let me know that he'd located a harness in one of the other warehouses and that it would be here this coming Monday.

It wouldn't be so bad but we've been having some great weather here in SW Ohio. And my wife is about to kill me since when I get to bugging her she'll tell me to go take a ride and off I go.

Patience, patience, patience.......

2006 A VIN# 000473

Here's what I found today. It was not the spider under the tank. My ground problem was under the left side panel. After talking to my local dealer, they were helpful. They got Yamaha on the phone and they said look for a gounding problem... WTF!! They would not say there was a problem with our bike.. Go figure...

There was plenty of wire on my plug, so I cut the spider off and stripped and soldered the wires together. All is good and back to normal.. :yahoo: . But still cost me a day in Northwest Arkansas :angry2: . I do have a YES warranty, but it was easy for me to fix than screwing with the dealer and Yamaha that knows there's a problem.. Here's some pic's of the connector and spider.. Smitty

003-4.jpg

See the color change, and it melted the cap...

002-5.jpg

005-7.jpg

Stripped the wires back..

009-4.jpg

A little solder and some heat shrink, and I am good to go... (for now).....

012-5.jpg

Smitty

Good on ya, Smitty. As I'm sure you already know, the soldered, shrink wrapped bug-connection is far less likely to be effected by moisture and corrosion than the stupid-ass spiders. WTF those Yammi 2nd gen enjuneers were thinking is beyond me.

If I had a 2nd gen, especially a 2006, I'd do that to every one of those little spidery buggers and be done with it.

(PS - Skooter: That damn sky is still falling... ;) )

Not having a Gen II to worry about this happening to me, I wonder if an ever better solution to just soldering the wires together, would be to put a ring terminal on all the wires and mount each ground wire in those "spider" connections to a terminal block, then ground the terminal block to an engine ground?

How many of these multi-ground connectors are there on the Gen II? Might be a bit cumbersome to implement my idea if there's a dozen of 'em scattered around.

Just blue-skying an idea.

'Howie

...How many of these multi-ground connectors are there on the Gen II? Might be a bit cumbersome to implement my idea if there's a dozen of 'em scattered around.

'Howie
Six Seven that I know of.

Under the tank, front left. The one that seems the most common to give a problem

[SIZE=8pt](Click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]

Two more on the left under the tank (might be associated with the electric shift, not sure):

One front right of tank:

Two up front:

Left side view of the one on the left of the bike shown to the right in the above picture:

[edit]Another view of three at the front

[/edit]

Any more, anyone?

Oh, yes, just for the record, I've had no actual problems, but I found very minor corrosion on one of them (just over three years, 18000 miles, all weathers).

As a precaution I put petroleum jelly on them all, and many of the electrical connectors.

Something to bear in mind regarding this issue is that these grounding "spider" connector blocks are a common item on both cars, trucks and motorcycles (albeit mostly Japanese made). It's not an FJR-specific connector by any means.

A close friend whom is the service manager at an area Honda (car) dealer recommends the following preventative maintenance procedure:

- locate all ground connecter blocks;

- disconnect and inspect;

- use a rubber pencil eraser to remove any corrosion on visible connector contact surfaces;

- thoroughly flush all connector blocks with CRC Industries' QD Electronic cleaner (Product Link);

- lightly coat connector contact surfaces with CRC Industries' Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease (Product Link)

I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

Yep,

That's my idea of a good time, hunting down hidden connectors under the hood. ;)

If I was that worried, every one I found would get lopped off & the wires soldered together.

2006 ae, 67k miles, had 3 igintion switch failures, one grounding failure at 45k with Brodie mod installed, new harness replaced at 50k, no problems since at 67k. vin 0060

after harness changed performed flawlessly for 12k milles to 09 IBR, do the rally and return to home.

IMHO GENII bikees have a defective wiring design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts