Laconia, NH Campsite Recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRScorpion

Reaction score
Hey, people. A few of us are exploring the New England States this September starting with the New Hampshire area. :yahoo: Using the Mad Maps with the Zumo, we've decided to 'put up' in the Laconia area as a base camp. We're bringing the toy hauler to camp in and to be honest we're looking for some amenities like a pool and such to relax after the rides. It looks like the KOA at Chocorua is probably the best choice since we don't have any actual experience there. Would anyone in your group have thoughts on the subject? Thanks a bunch. :huh:

Well, Chocorua ain't all that close to Laconia... That said, only sissies camp at KOA's. Real men camp in State Parks; Like White Lake State Park about a half mile away from that KOA in Chocorua. After Labor Day you'll have the place to yourself. Cheaper, too. Be aware that most of the state camping areas close mid Septemberish. Here's some pics from Sept '10. You can swim in the Lake; much warmer than a heated pool. :yahoo:

It dropped into the low 40's with 15-25 mph winds the night we stayed there; daytime temps were in the '60s due to a Canadian high pressure system (blame Canada?).

webIMG_1040-1.jpg

webIMG_1039.jpg

Hey, people. A few of us are exploring the New England States this September starting with the New Hampshire area. :yahoo: Using the Mad Maps with the Zumo, we've decided to 'put up' in the Laconia area as a base camp. We're bringing the toy hauler to camp in and to be honest we're looking for some amenities like a pool and such to relax after the rides. It looks like the KOA at Chocorua is probably the best choice since we don't have any actual experience there. Would anyone in your group have thoughts on the subject? Thanks a bunch. :huh:
While I dont have a suggestion where to camp...If you are looking for roads suggestion, places to eat, spots to visit the New England Riders have a whole web site section dedicated to such roads. THIS LINK has a ton of resources for New England. Enjoy your stay and rides up here.

Willie

Pepperell, thanks for the heads up about the temps. Maybe we'll move it up a few weeks.

Willie, thanks for the link.

I wouldn't (move it up). September is a beautiful time of year in Northern New England. Before Labor Day the place is over run with vacationing families. In October you get the foliage, which brings back all the tourists. September is the perfect time. No chance of snow. Good chance of warm days, but without all the humidity of summer.

We aren't campers (unless you count motel camping) so can't really help you there. But I know there are some rustic camp grounds right in the White Mountain National Forest. They should be pretty much wide open in September, except maybe on weekends. [edit - Just noticed that you want some amenities at your base camp. Don't think the WMNF is what you'll want]

Have a great trip.

PS - Out of curiosity, why would you want to be near Laconia? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

Thanks for the comments. Laconia is claimed to be "motorcycle friendly" and I believe host an event every year. There is a publication that I picked up at the Chicago Motorcycle show they put out to specifically solicit motorcycle riders. Additionally, I use the motorcycling "Mad Maps" for the Zumo and there is a weeks worth of ride loops that converge in Laconia. That area, or close by, would be a good starting point. I would like to try to recreate past trips like when we went to NC, stayed at the Iron Horse, and rode out in a different direction every day, but I think that is not entirely possible.

Yes, there is a "motorcycle" event of sorts in Laconia, New Hampshire (actually it's the next town south in Loudon) every year. It's the Loudon Classic Motorcycle races, which have turned into a NH biker week.

There are lots of good routes to ride all over the state. I guess the good thing is that Laconia is pretty much in the center and the routes should be readily available from all the years of the Classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually... Laconia is the oldest of the motorcycle rallies as we know them. The grandpappy of them all. This being the 88th coming up. Of course Sturgis is the largest.

You'll get lots of info about the area including where to stay at LaconiaMCWeek

As luck would have it, the trip was almost a bust. Unfortunately, the sources that we called to verify the road conditions did us a disservice by understating the problems left from hurricane Irene. Of course you make the best of the situation, but it could have been much better (or I suppose worse). Between the rainy weather, washed out roads and bridges, and the Madmaps not working on the Zumo we made plenty of bad choices. Still we accumulative about 850 miles of mountain and lake scenery riding in a total of probably 6 days, which is a record for me and the SO. The temperature was much lower and therefore nicer than I'm used to. The people and the scenery were worth the trip. Oh and the lobster in Kennybunkport too!