iphone in-ear headphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backfill

Reaction score
I generally ride with ear plugs, but I know some listen to music while riding. I only have the in-ear headphones that came with my iphone; they are hard to put in and do not fit me well. They fall out half the time.

I had a 7 hour ride on a major highway yesterday (not a fun ride, but better than driving the half ton), so I thought I would listen to music while riding. With the headphones that came with my iphone it was so noisy that I couldn’t hear the music. Within 10 minutes I stopped and put in my ear plugs.

Does anyone have suggestions for noise blocking in-ear headphones? Something has to work better than the stock ones that come with the iphone.

Thanks,

Phil

I prefer ER6i ear plugs/phones. Good sound, good isolation but, not too much. Amazon is where I ordered my last pair.

I prefer ER6i ear plugs/phones. Good sound, good isolation but, not too much. Amazon is where I ordered my last pair.

Skullcandy

My Arai is too noisy for the expense of better headsets and the Skullcandies easily perform just as well on the bike. Also, the leads coming out don't have a plastic finger to press on the ear and create a sore spot.

Another Westone fan. All day comfort, sound quality, and sound dampening. I recommed the UM-1 if the majority of use will be while riding. The additional quality (drivers) of the UM2/3 will not be appreciated on a bike at speed. I suggest saving the $$$. Not to mention UM1's sound great.

I just saw these at a convention I attended over the weekend. I dont know anything about them other than they look cool. On the webb site look under the tiny motorcycle header. www.customearpiece.com.

Another Westone fan. All day comfort, sound quality, and sound dampening. I recommed the UM-1 if the majority of use will be while riding. The additional quality (drivers) of the UM2/3 will not be appreciated on a bike at speed. I suggest saving the $$$. Not to mention UM1's sound great.
+1, big fan of the Westone

Bill

Seems like a fair number of us have become fans of Westone. I'll add myself to that list. I'll also add these thoughts:

I decided to save money on the last pair I bought and get the Westone-1, and I DO notice the difference and wish I would have stayed with the UM-2 or 3 (yes I have the full range, I use them in various locations and with various devices and I'd bought my first UM-2 over 6 years ago)

I have tried others on the bike specifically, including skullcandy model that was recommended for motorcycle use. Every other in-ear-monitor I've tried pulls out when I put my helmet on, and/or causes pain points. The Westone enclosures fit entirely inside the ear (not the canal itself, but within the space protected by cartilage) and stay in place better then the others with no pain points, and can be worn all day when using the right size tips. A good fit is important on any in-ear-monitor btw, too large and they will hurt and be hard to insert, too small and they will not block sound, and the sound quality will be greatly reduced as the sound reproduction requires a good seal.

Westone is designed for professional musicians, their sound quality is second to none, including the high-end Shure and Entymotics, etc. (at similar price points, meaning that the very best Shure will outperform the cheapest Westone, but if you compare at the same price points, the Westone will be better). I DO NOT work for Westone, or have any relationship with them at all. I just was fortunate enough to be on a project for work once (not related to motorcycles) where I got to buy and compare a wide range of in-ear monitors on someone else's dime. I've now spent several of my own dimes on Westone's products - my only complaint is that they ARE expensive, but, imo, worth it.

I've usually bought from earphonesolutions.com - also no affiliation beyond being a customer. And do a google search and find a coupon to save yourself some $$.

Seems like a fair number of us have become fans of Westone. I'll add myself to that list. I'll also add these thoughts:

I decided to save money on the last pair I bought and get the Westone-1, and I DO notice the difference and wish I would have stayed with the UM-2 or 3 (yes I have the full range, I use them in various locations and with various devices and I'd bought my first UM-2 over 6 years ago)

I have tried others on the bike specifically, including skullcandy model that was recommended for motorcycle use. Every other in-ear-monitor I've tried pulls out when I put my helmet on, and/or causes pain points. The Westone enclosures fit entirely inside the ear (not the canal itself, but within the space protected by cartilage) and stay in place better then the others with no pain points, and can be worn all day when using the right size tips. A good fit is important on any in-ear-monitor btw, too large and they will hurt and be hard to insert, too small and they will not block sound, and the sound quality will be greatly reduced as the sound reproduction requires a good seal.

Westone is designed for professional musicians, their sound quality is second to none, including the high-end Shure and Entymotics, etc. (at similar price points, meaning that the very best Shure will outperform the cheapest Westone, but if you compare at the same price points, the Westone will be better). I DO NOT work for Westone, or have any relationship with them at all. I just was fortunate enough to be on a project for work once (not related to motorcycles) where I got to buy and compare a wide range of in-ear monitors on someone else's dime. I've now spent several of my own dimes on Westone's products - my only complaint is that they ARE expensive, but, imo, worth it.

I've usually bought from earphonesolutions.com - also no affiliation beyond being a customer. And do a google search and find a coupon to save yourself some $.
Did you add Comply tips (which, BTW, Westone sells for their products), or did you just use the stock silicone pieces?

The difference is staggering. And the "pain points" you note, are eliminated by the tips as well.

Of course the SQ isn't going to rival Westone, but for a total investment of $30 ($15 for SkullCandy TiTans off Steepandcheap.com and $15 for Comply T400 direct from Comply) I am a-ok with that. Riding my bike isn't exactly the best environment for music listening...

German made klipsch has a ear plug type also, check their site. I have home audio that is klipsch and it is simply outstanding. I use er6i and really like them, they provide several tips, foam being the quietest.

I generally ride with ear plugs, but I know some listen to music while riding. I only have the in-ear headphones that came with my iphone; they are hard to put in and do not fit me well. They fall out half the time.

I had a 7 hour ride on a major highway yesterday (not a fun ride, but better than driving the half ton), so I thought I would listen to music while riding. With the headphones that came with my iphone it was so noisy that I couldn’t hear the music. Within 10 minutes I stopped and put in my ear plugs.

Does anyone have suggestions for noise blocking in-ear headphones? Something has to work better than the stock ones that come with the iphone.

Thanks,

Phil

You must have an Iphone 3gs or better to get the full function of the earphones i.e. volume, call answer/hang-up, play/pause. Volume will not work on the Iphone 3g.

+1

+1

:lol:

I have an iPod, and use the Klipsch S4i in the ear - ear buds. They're made for iPod and have a three button switch for volume (up or down) or to skip to next song - about 10 inches away from your ears. They work like a dream and allow me to adjust volume or skip to the next song. iPod sits in my shirt pocket, and I'm good to go. They silence most external noise, are really well made, and have great sound with deep rich bass. About a hundred bucks. I've had them for about a year and a half now. I assume we're not able to put the website on the forum, but a quick google search will hook you up.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
..bunch of stuff about Westone products, and a mention of Skullcandies...
Did you add Comply tips or did you just use the stock silicone pieces?

The difference is staggering. And the "pain points" you note, are eliminated by the tips as well.

Of course the SQ isn't going to rival Westone, but for a total investment of $30 ($15 for SkullCandy TiTans off Steepandcheap.com and $15 for Comply T400 direct from Comply) I am a-ok with that. Riding my bike isn't exactly the best environment for music listening...
I used the stock tips, but with the skull candies, it wasn't that they were painful (others were), it was that I couldn't get them to stay in my ears when I pulled on my helmet. They sit farther outside the ears then the Westone units, which sit completely recessed in my ears. I agree that if you can get them to stay in while sliding your helmet down over your ears, then $30 is a lot better then the price of a Westone unit. But if you have the cash to spend, and you want to buy once and be happy and get the most comfort and best sound, then I'd buy a Westone again. And while the bike isn't the best environment for sound, they block enough external noise to make is a decent listening environment, and one that I spend all most two hours every day in, so for me it is worth it.

I've been trying to find happiness with Precision Labsbut so far no real luck. They don't seal right, I'm 50 bucks into custom ear molds and I've tried 2x to find a cure. They have been helpful though, and I've not yet given up.

I'm in the SkullCandy corner. I have a pair now that I love. They are comfortable, the cord is a decent length, they sound good, they are priced right, and they are available at probably every WalMart in the country. So when I break them or lose them on a ride, I'm out less than $30 and I can get a new pair.