side view mirror replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
The glass part of my left mirror cracked, with all the pieces in place. I have an extra left mirror housing without the glass. Question---how is the glass replaced in the mirror housing? There is an indentation around the edge of the housing that seems to hold the glass in place, but I don't see how to get the glass into that detent. Also, is the mirror glass a Yamaha part, or do windshield shops cut these?

Howard

Removing & reinstalling the mirror glass Shown Here. Finding someone to cut the mirror may be the hardest part of the job and possibly could cost more than a replacement mirror assembly. The Great Satan eBay has mirrors from $20 and up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Alan. I've got my shelf attached, and my HD lite bracket is attached through the mirror bolts, so I'll probably wait for the IBR to be over before I take the whole thing apart. Unless, that is, i can find a way to get the whole bike into an oven. Maybe a pizza oven?

Howard

Hey Howard!

Yamaha doesn't sell the glass as a separate part...you gotta buy the whole mirror. In a pinch, you could do like we Chandler, AZ rednecks do:

PICT0006-1.JPG

Or get the FZ1 mirrors. They put the FJR mirrors to shame.
Not sure what kind of mirror mount bracket Howard is using for his aux lights, but if they're the beefier flavor, i.e. Top Gun, et. al., note that the studs on the FZ1 mirrors are shorter than on the FJR mirrors, the end result being that one may not be able to get the mounting bolts threaded on far enough for comfort. I could only get the bolt on a few threads, which didn't look safe to me, so now I have a brand new set of FZ1 mirrors I won't be able to use with my aux light brackets. (They'd probably be fine with the thinner Garauld brackets, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Or get the FZ1 mirrors. They put the FJR mirrors to shame.
Not sure what kind of mirror mount bracket Howard is using for his aux lights, but if they're the beefier flavor, i.e. Top Gun, et. al., note that the studs on the FZ1 mirrors are shorter than on the FJR mirrors, the end result being that one may not be able to get the mounting bolts threaded on far enough for comfort. I could only get the bolt on a few threads, which didn't look safe to me, so now I have a brand new set of FZ1 mirrors I won't be able to use with my aux light brackets. (They'd probably be fine with the thinner Garauld brackets, though).
Are you gonna sell those FZ1 mirrors or keep them? I'm gonna get me a set so I might as well ask if you don't need or want them. If you're gonna keep them, that's cool, but if you wanna get rid of them and they are the genuine mirrors and not a knock-off, send me a PM.

Have a 2009 FJR. Will the FZ1 mirrors fit it? Thanks for any help.
Yes....BUT...

1.) You must use the 1st Gen FZ-i mirrors

2.) THe metal spacers inside the rubber grommet on the GEN II FJR are thicker/longer so they need to be removed and ground down or they hold the base of the FZ-1 mirror away from the fairing.

As near as I can recollect...

Last summer, I hit a crow with my left mirror and in addition to showering me with crowshit and feathers, the bugger popped out the glass on my left mirror. Yamaha does not sell the glass separately; just the entire mirror assembly. I went to an auto glass place and they cut a mirror which fit into the frame very well. Although the fit was good enough to be safe, they also added a dab of silicone to the back, just in case. My only issue is that the replacement glass appears slightly darker than stock - maybe their glass is tinted?

If you go this route, make sure the mirror is cut from convex stock, not flat. I think it cost me around $30.00 and they did it while I waited.

Ross

Last summer, I hit a crow with my left mirror and in addition to showering me with crowshit and feathers, the bugger popped out the glass on my left mirror.
So this is another easy way to remove the glass in your mirror? Throw a crow at it.