#1 mcatrophy

mcatrophy

2010 FJR1300AS(AE)

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

When I went on my recent European tour, I used a roll-bag strapped to the luggage rack with a cargo net. Knowing I'd be having the bag on and off many times, and probably in a hurry, I wrapped generous amounts of duct tape* round the handrails and the rear cross-piece to protect the paint from being scratched by the hooks or from the bag rubbing.

(Click on image for larger view)
Posted Image

This did exactly what I wanted. However, when I came to take the tape off ...

It was left on for about six weeks; baked in the sun, cooled in the rain. There was no way it would come off cleanly. Stripping off the tape left varying degrees of white sticky behind, sometimes with bits of the cloth layer, sometimes without.

So, I wanted a way of getting this off without resorting to scraping, which would scratch the paint worse than the cargo net.

I tried some alcohol (isopropyl, not whiskey); that barely touched it. So, having trawled the Forum for ideas, I bought some liquid gold (at 5 for a tiny bottle) in the form of Goo Gone. That faired no better than the alcohol.

Looked round the garage to see what else I had, spied my lawn mower petrol supply only to find the can was empty. (I knew there was very little in the bike.)

Looked round some more and spied some WD40. Nothing to lose.

Sprayed it on, immediately I could see the white gunge start to soften. So I removed the rack to stop WD40 going all over the bike, laid it on some newspaper, and sprayed WD40 generously all over the sticky stuff.

Waited a few minutes, and found I could rub the mixture off with rag with relatively little problem; just a couple of areas where a second spray-and-wait were needed.

So, WD40 beats Goo Gone hands down for removing duct tape adhesive.

*For the record, the tape was branded "Elephant Tape". Maybe WD40 won't work for all, but worth a try if you're stuckPosted Image.

Ps. Not sure where to post this, perhaps a moderator can put it where it belongs?

mcatrophy
2010 FJR1300AS
2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonneville '55 Tiger Cub
Some of my FJRForum contributions
My web site

#2 petey

petey

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Bike: 2013A (Gen III) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

Yes DW40 saved me many times in the past remooving glue, tar, grease and general crud... :o
There is no better therapy, than a ride.

#3 garyahouse

garyahouse

newbs need the forum

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Bike: 2005 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

The other day I was trying to remover oil residue from the fins of my daughters bike. It oozes oil from the cylinder head. Grease Lighting (normally a pretty effective degreaser) had mixed results. However, a couple squirts of WD 40 - Wow!!!!!

Gary
darksider #44
FJR: the most fun you can legally have.

#4 Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel

I'm your huckleberry.

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Bike: Other or considering FJR

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

If it was Friday I could make a wise crack about MEM being an expert at "Getting rid of sticky stuff" :rolleyes:

- Scott (Chesapeake Va.)

#5 SacramentoMike

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

NOTHING works as well as acetone on tape residue or anything like it. Nail polish remover is just scented acetone, though acetone itself doesn't smell bad at all. I buy quart cans of acetone at Home Depot (or any other hardware store) and it's very cheap. It's in the Paint aisle with the thinners. Just test on a painted surface before you wipe it all over. Use plenty on a pretty wet rag and use a fresh part of the rag each application. Evaporates very fast, too, so just keep putting more on till it finishes the job.
"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx
"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." Jack Handy
"Watch out for that tree!" George of the Jungle
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#6 ahchiu

ahchiu

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

I use Goo Gone
Marcus
06 FJR1300A, 04 R6
Previous Bikes: 00 Honda ST1100, 97 Triumph Tiger, 83 Suzuki GS1100E
I'M SLOWER THAN SOME, FASTER THAN MOST

#7 Fingerflicker

Fingerflicker

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Bike: 2006 ABS AE (Gen II) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

I always keep some Turtle Wax automotive "Bug & Tar" remover. Has acitone and will leave a wax coating behind. My 2 cents.
Previous Rides: '86 KLR650, '90 Katana 750
Retired Air Force - KC-10 Crew Chief
Drop Club & Crash Club Member

#8 mcatrophy

mcatrophy

2010 FJR1300AS(AE)

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Bike: 2010 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

NOTHING works as well as acetone on tape residue or anything like it. .. I buy quart cans of acetone at Home Depot (or any other hardware store) and it's very cheap ...

We don't seem able to buy "chemicals" in the UK.

I use Goo Gone

As I said in my original post, too expensive and, in this case, ineffective.

I always keep some Turtle Wax automotive "Bug & Tar" remover. Has acitone and will leave a wax coating behind. My 2 cents.

Might work, but realise I had thick sticky stuff over a relatively large area. Being able to simply spray the WD40 all over it made the job easy.

If it was Friday I could make a wise crack about MEM being an expert at "Getting rid of sticky stuff" :rolleyes:

Are you trying to say cleaning is women's work ?????

mcatrophy
2010 FJR1300AS
2006 FJR1300AS '02 Trophy 1200 '01 Bonneville '55 Tiger Cub
Some of my FJRForum contributions
My web site

#9 Big Sky

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

WD-40 makes for a pretty good, safe solvent. I've used it that way. Goo Gone has worked well for me, too, but you need to apply it fairly liberally and let it soak in, wipe, reapply, wait, wipe... But it works better than anything else I've found for the sticky residue left behind by the stuck-on wheel weights.
"Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Mark Twain

"The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others - the living - are those who pushed their luck as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later."
- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#10 Joe2Lmaker

Joe2Lmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Everyone should try Starrett M1.

I've recommended this stuff to a several skeptics, all of whom have become converts!

Works as an adhesive remover, degreaser, rust inhibitor...

Posted Image

I buy it by the gallon

Posted Image

http://www.starrett.com/
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 DJB

DJB

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Bike: 2003 (Gen I) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Ok without cheating what does WD40 stand for and who paid to develop it?
Posted Image

#12 DennisJ

DennisJ

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Bike: 2009 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Waster Displacement Formula 40, Boeing Aircraft

Should be Water Displacement Formula 40

#13 Fred W

Fred W

Flatus Antiquous

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

I do know the WD is Water Displacement, but don't know why 40 or who started it. I also know that, while it may work to get duct tape residue off of things it is a crappy general lubricant, and not as good at penetrating frozen fastyeners as a real penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

edit - seems I was beat to the punch ;)

Here is my "go-to" all purpose solvent. I keep a can in the garage at all times. Way better than Goo Gone.

-Fred W        nerd.gif

#14 RaYzerman19

RaYzerman19

Go Wings Go!

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) World

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Naptha is best for goo residues, as it is a slow evaporating solvent that won't harm paint. Sorry you guys with acetone, that is just wrong. WD 40 contains Stoddard Solvent, which is very much akin to naptha and is sometimes called heavy naptha.
But WD40 has light oil in it also, and IMHO I agree with Fred, it's not a very good lubricant.
The Starrett stuff is mostly hydrotreated light petroleum distillate, AKA, dearomatized kerosene. It should work too.

You don't go to Freddy Beach for the beach....

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound

#15 art miller

art miller

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Bike: 2014ES (Gen III) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

WD40 has many useful applications. You have named a few. If you ever get that nasty rain suit burnt on a muffler, soak the area with WD40 and it will take it off. WD40 is also a very good cutting oil. I use it when drilling, cutting or filing metal. I know mechanist who use it as a cutting oil on the lathe.
Be careful when using acetone on painted surfaces. Don't let it stand long as it will remove clear coat.
Art Miller

#16 Joe2Lmaker

Joe2Lmaker

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Naptha is best for goo residues, ...

Does naptha (a.k.a. Coleman Fuel) have a shelf life?
I never know if I should keep it around and eventually use it up or just use it to start fires in the firepit.
I'd hate to gum up my lantern or stove.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 HotRodZilla

HotRodZilla

Trying To Be Good

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

The "40" in WD40 came from the number of forumlas they tried before they thought they had it right. This time, it was the 40th formula...Hence, Water Displacement 40.

Also...Don't use it to lubricate guns. It gums up and will cause more problems than it will solve...However, I too have used it for removing gunk and currently have two cans of it in my garage. It's versitle stuff.
I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"
- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

#18 MEM

MEM

FJR Commander

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Bike: 2007 ABS (Gen II) N. America

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

WHAAAAT ?! WTH would I know about that ? OK it's Friday now, wiseguy. Go for it :lol:

I admit .... this IS an odd caption for a straight-up thread. But who am I to judge ? :unsure: (and it's good to know about the WD40 :D)
Mary Ellen

CFR 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013; MAINE CHOWDAH RUN 2010 2011; GREENS WHITES RIDE 2010; WCR 2010; NAFO 2010 2012; DEATH VALLEY WILDFLOWERS RIDE 2011; NERDS 2011 2012;
EOM 2011; LA PINE REUBEN RUN 2012

#19 Larry33319

Larry33319

FJR Pilot

• Members++
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

One day at work I was bored and actually read the little pamphlet that comes with WD40. It is truly amazing stuff. If you have ever driven down a fairly new road and had black road tar get on your car, it will dissolve that as well.
06 FJR Darksider #7
"Every 1/2 hour job is 1 broken bolt away from being a 3 day ordeal."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 BkrK12

BkrK12

FJR Squadron Leader

• Members++
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Spray mosquito repellent, with a high Deet content. Will also take magic marker off aluminum siding. Makes you want to not think about what it does to your skin.

Dan